Re: Can someone explain?

  • Ann Marie Long
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2003
      > Hello Ann
      >
      > On 18-May-03, you wrote:
      >

      > > Can someone explain the rites or examples of the rites used by the
      > > early Gnostics to "induce" gnosis. Hoeller describes some of these
      > > rites in his latest book, but they seem to be nothing more than
      the
      > > iniation rites of the roman catholic church....except the
      rcatholic
      > > church has substituted marriage for the bridal chamber. Maybe rite
      > > is not the correct word...maybe the Gnostic mysteries is more
      what I
      > > am looking to be explained. In some of the gospels it mentions
      that
      > > there were five. Can someone help me out with these or make a
      > > suggestion on a book that explains them better than Hoeller's did?
      >
      > I think my good Bishop bit off more than he could chew there. You
      > can't explain the Sacraments, you have to experience them. Besides,
      > we have no real idea of their original gnostic form, only hints.
      > Look at the situation today. Staying strictly with the Orthodox, if
      > you attend an Anglican (Episcopal) mass, a RC mass, and an Eastern
      > Orthodox mass, they are quite different. The Eastern one even uses
      > different rite. You might even wonder if they were all the same
      > service. I suspect it was similar back with the Gnostics. As
      > Augustine puts it, a Sacrament is an outer sign of an inner state of
      > grace. Try and explain that.
      >
      > If you enjoy clairvoyant accounts, C. W. Leadbetter's THE SCIENCE OF
      > THE SACRAMENTS, actually contains some suggestive material, as does
      > Geoffrey Hodson's THE PRIESTLY IDEAL. But both are Theosophists,
      and
      > a bit literal minded for me. Stephan also did a pamphlet years ago
      > taking the mass from beginning to end, but I don't remember the
      > title. You might try a search under mass and sacraments on our
      > webpage, and see what you come up with. But if you find someone who
      > can explain the sacraments clearly and concisely, please report
      back.

      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

      Thanks for replying...and by no means was I saying anything
      discouraging about Hoeller's work. I have heard some of the tapes of
      his classes or lectures and they were very good. I probably didnt
      phrase my question right...I am just wondering what the sacraments
      were that are mentioned in the gospels as they relate to the
      unlocking of gnosis.

      Thanks again,

      Anne Marie