Back to the subject at hand

    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2003
      I wanted to go back through and try to deal with many subjects that
      have come up (including some that were addressed specifically to me
      but I have not gotton to... I am not trying to ignore anyone, I
      promise). Unfortunately I am off on two out of town trips, back to
      back. I may get a chance when I get back, or even briefly between the
      two trips.

      I do want to point out a few things really quick though. For one,
      Pythagoras has been an interesting tangent, but he is just that... a
      tangent. We really do need to get back to the intended subject of the
      club, which is Gnosticism (No, Pythagoras was not Gnostic). Egypt,
      India, these are interesting theories to debate, but in the end they
      also are of limited value to the scope of this club. Whether or not
      there was just one origin for Pythagorian thought... Gnosticism is
      most definately syncratic.

      So, when I get back I will be looking forward to some on topic
      subjects.

      PMCV
    • George
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2003
        PMCV,

        You write:
        "Gnosticism is most definately syncratic."

        But so far, the only way we've been able to identify
        the strands of this syncratism is by starting with
        Pythagoras.

        While I'm willing to agree that the Pythagorean School was
        not gnostic, it would be most helpful to learn which factor
        or factors EXCLUDE it from Gnosticism.

        Can you provide a summary of the distinctions?

        George
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2003
          Well all, I am finally back. In looking through the posts there
          doesn't seem to be much for me to jump in on (though I admittedly
          skimmed very quickly, due to the amount of posts since I had left),
          so I thought I would go back and answer this one post that was
          specifically directed at me. I don't mean to bring up the Pythagoras
          issue again, but I thought perhaps this could reiterate the question
          of exactly what "Gnosticism" is.

          So, George asks....

          "Gnosticism is most definately syncratic."

          But so far, the only way we've been able to identify
          the strands of this syncratism is by starting with
          Pythagoras.<<<

          Actually, we have not established any connection between Pythagoras
          and the Gnostics. Thus, I am not sure what you mean to imply by
          saying that Pythagoras is the only way we have identified strands of
          syncratism in Gnosticism. I have however pointed out aspects of that
          Platonic system called "Neopythagorianims", perhaps that is what you
          meant.

          >>>While I'm willing to agree that the Pythagorean School was
          not gnostic, it would be most helpful to learn which factor
          or factors EXCLUDE it from Gnosticism.

          Can you provide a summary of the distinctions?<<<

          Well, more to the point would be; what reason do we have to include
          it? However, perhaps I can satisfy the question concerning
          destinctions.

          First of all, "Gnosticism" belongs to a specific segment of time
          known as the "Late Antiquities" Pythagoras does not, and therefor
          does not fit that part of the word "Gnosticism".

          Next point, since Gnosticism is a syncratism between Greek and Jewish
          thought, the lack of Jewish influence on Pythagoras excludes him.

          Also, I have seen no evidence that Pythagoras believed in a
          cosmogeny, cosmology, anthropogenty, etc., that in any way coincided
          with the ones we see in "Gnosticism".

          These things would need to be established before we could think of
          connecting the two belief systems in any way.