Re: Pythagorean thoughts:Beans again

    Message 1 of 170 , May 2, 2003
      That is actually pretty interesting Lady Cari, even beyond it's
      humor. If indeed Pythagoras (or whomever coined this rule) did in
      fact mean to refer to the eating of beans, and fava beans in
      specific, there could then have been some feasable medical
      observation going on. On the other hand, this is a perfect example of
      how a belief system could come to be scoffed at when thier members
      are dying of malaria and others who eat fava beans are spared.

> [...]
      > >

      > > Some of these certainly do not remind one of teh mathmatical and
      > > logical ideas that were suppoed to have been central to the
      > > Pythagorian school. However, many of them look as if perhaps
      there
      > > could be some non-literal meaning that could be lost to us now.
      > >
      > > PMCV
      > >
      > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, fred60471 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > > > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...>

      > > later
      > glean?
      > > For
      > beans?
      > > It
      > beans",
      > > he
      > > all
      > black
      > > > and
      > > >
      > > > Hi PMCV,
      > > >
      > > > Wherever did you get such an absurd idea?…;-)…You know, there
      is
      > > > traditional story about Pythagoras that goes something like
      this:
      > > > Pythagoras was walking through a field one day when he observed
      > in
      > > ox
      > > > eating beans. He told the oxherd that he should advise his
      charge
      > > > abstain from eating beans. The oxherd replied, "How can I do
      > that,
      > > > don't speak ox!" whereupon Pythagoras went over to the ox and
      > > > whispered something into his ear. Thereafter, the ox was never
      > > eat
      > > > beans again.
      > > >
      > > > So I tend to think that the injunction was a dietary one. If my
      > > > physician advised me to "Abstain from red meat." His meaning
      > would
      > > be
      > > > clear enough. If I did not wish to take his advice, I suppose I
      > > could
      > > > invent some metaphorical meaning for his statement. It would
      make
      > > > sense that Pythagoras should make such dietary proscriptions
      > > because
      > > > it would be consistent with the Pythagorean notion that the
      > things
      > > of
      > > > the world have a direct relation to the psyche. And if we
      return
      > > > Classical sources, it becomes clear that the injunction was a
      > > dietary
      > > > one. Diogenes proposed that the Pythagoreans rejected fava
      beans
      > > > because they cause thought-disturbing flatulence, saying, "One
      > > should
      > > > abstain from fava beans, since they are full of wind and take
      > part
      > > in
      > > > the soul, and if one abstains from them one's stomach will be
      > less
      > > > noisy and one's dreams will be less oppressive and calmer."
      This
      > is
      > > > the judgment of Cicero, who refers to Plato (Div. 68), and of
      an
      > > > unnamed authority in Diogenes (VIII, 24), who associates this
      > > effect
      > > > with their 'participating most especially tou psychikou," a
      term
      > > which
      > > > can designate the soul of the dead as well as of the living.
      > Also,
      > > > Herodotus (II, 37) reports that Egyptian priests consider beans
      > > be
      > > > unclean. They were also taboo for Orphics and the initiates at
      > > > Eleusis; see Pausanias I, 37, 4 and Porphyry, Abst. IV, 16.
      > > Porphyry
      > > > makes clear that they were not to be touched and includes them
      in
      > > > list along with apples, pomegranates, dead bodies, and recently
      > > > delivered women.
      > > >
      > > > BTW, I have it on good authority that fava beans make a great
      > > > accompaniment to liver with a nice Chianti.
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > fred
    • Wayne
      Message 170 of 170 , Jun 5, 2003
        The Middle region, when you separate the light from the darkness
        you enter into the Twilight Zone, the World of the Imagination,
        Freedom of Mind, Divine Will.

        To Truly be Good you must be Free from the knowledge, from having
        known, experienced wrong doing, you must be innocent.

        Innocence exists only when there is no Evil, a long as Evil exist
        Good is Evil and Evil is good, there is no innocence.

        In between the Light and the Darkness, Parallel Universes, the Two
        Worlds of Reality, One the World of Reality as seen in the light of
        day, the Reality of the Moment, the Here and Now, Reality that exists
        independent of our thoughts concerning it and the World of the
        Imagination, the middle World, the World of Illusion, Sin; Reality as
        seen in the Second light of the Sun, Moon Light, where thinly veiled
        shadowy figures lurk in the Darkest corners of the Mind.

        By the light of the Silvery Moon, Light that is separated out of the
        Darkness, Twice light.

        Illusion Trice Light, Reality hauled up out of the darkest depths of
        the abyss, the imagination.

        A Lie is the Truth, an Illusion is a Reality, Evil is Good, Good is
        Evil, Good and Evil is Evil.

        Yahoogroups.com, lady_caritas <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pessy@c... wrote:
        > > lady_caritas writes:
        > >
        > > > contained in this line, "Within the present world, (reputedly)
        > there
        > > > is good and there is evil, (but) the world's goods are not
        > (really)
        > > > good, and its evils not (really) evil." IOW, "reputedly"
        > > > or "allegedly" or "so they say" makes me wonder. Would this
        be
        > > > Valentinian recounting a more literal, traditional notion of
        the
        > > > opposites, "good" and "evil," in comparison to a conception of
        > the
        > > > world not being (really) black and white? Or OTOH might this
        be
        > > > heresiologist relating a view secondhand or rather a novice
        > entering
        > > > an initiation process or even a Valentinian not entirely
        > convinced or
        > > > in agreement about the concepts of good and evil? Regardless,
        > > > think we can at least glean some Valentinian ideas from this
        > passage,
        > > > as it speaks to hylic, psychic, and pneumatic natures, and it
        > > > certainly reiterates a common theme of resurrection now in
        this
        > > > lifetime, not waiting for some later time.
        > >

        > > no, it just merans that the world is evil, and good is out of the
        > world,
        > > whereas Zoroastrians see good and bad residing in the world.
        > >

        > > Klaus Schilling
        >

        > Klaus, I suppose that is also a very likely interpretation. (My
        last
        > sentence of that paragraph was referring not only to the line just
        > previously discussed about "good" and "evil," but to other comments
        > in the GPh passage as a whole.) However, I guess my point was,
        > perhaps we could only assume the line related to Zoroastrian
        thought
        > when no direct mention is made of them and we don't even know the
        > original source or context of this whole passage. And, where does
        > the passage say that this world is only "evil," as you interpret?
        Or