Re: Nag Hammadi codexes

    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 5, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      >>then someone is indeed disfiguering words!<< [sic]

      Yes, I'd say that SOMEONE is, indeed.

      Don't worry, though . . . your title is far from being challenged.

      Gerry
    • incognito_lightbringer
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 5, 2003
        Ernst<<>>I don't like the term pistic Christians because of the same
        reason for the word Gnosticism. There was no movement or
        group that identified each other as "pistic". And as I stated there
        was no uniform "pistic" theology just as there was no uniform
        "Gnostic" theology. It is a misnormer to state that historically
        there were two kinds of Christians, pistic and gnostic, like one
        internet web sites falsely speading as the matter of fact.<<

        Gerry<<If you don't like the term, Ernst, you're free to leave
        anytime.
        There's really no point in you remaining to discuss Gnosticism if you
        truly see no difference between those groups and the rest of
        Christianity>>

        I agree with Ernst. This whole pistic gnostic heterodox orthodox
        thread made me understand what exactly he's trying to say now. No
        matter what neat box you try to fit things into you can still find
        examples that contradict it. That's why, Gerry, I asked you what is
        meant by heterodox versus orthodox when applied to gnosticism in post
        7405.

        Because then I could claim that those labeled Orthodox or Pistics
        have various subgroups which have differences in texts and myth, some
        subtle, others more pronounced, and that as a whole they are
        heterodox. (thank you Ernst!).

        If heterodox applies to beliefs of members within the specific
        gnostic group, in that the group allowed a wide difference in
        personal interpretation, that's another matter. But I see common
        myths, common rituals, common teachings within each group.
        You agree by your "if you see no difference". And it's also implied
        by the overall tone of response here whenever someone strays off the
        historical gnostic beaten path into personal interpretation that
        isn't based on historical gnosticism.

        You wrote <<I sought to point out that as black is not white, neither
        might a mainstream definition be appropriately applied in a Gnostic
        context.>> What does that mean? That any definition "they" used
        automatically can't be what "we" use? I don't think you believe that,
        but that's what the statement implies. And it may the case in some
        points, it may also not be the case in others. What importance a
        definition is attributed to *any religious system*, how it's defined
        by that system, is examined by examining the specific religion
        itself. That is, I believe, critical analysis. Not by examination of
        another group and defining based on what they think
        the "enemy" is. If that's not the case, then why don't we start
        comparing Gnosticism to Hinduism?

        The entire discussion should not have been about bickering. It should
        have been about how do historical gnostic groups define faith based
        on the evidence they left and deductions *based on that evidence*.
        Has that been done in any depth? A claim was made here that faith was
        viewed as negative by gnostics. I asked for evidence, where is it? My
        reading of texts is that faith was high up in the hierarchy
        importance to gnostics. Why not examine the written material and use
        that to agree or disagree?

        If "suposedly different historical definitions are not very
        different at all, they are variations on a single theme." then what
        is that definition and context for faith in historical gnosticism,
        based on the evidence they left? Also written, "this club
        is about historical Gnostic movements and that is non-negotiable".
        Now we have a suggestion that the word faith be replaced by another
        word, whereas historical gnostics did use it, and everyone's offering
        a different definition "important to me". That indicates that there
        *is* confusion on this point. And whereas personal interpretation is
        important in gnosticism, IMHO, you can't have your cake and eat it
        too. You can't claim that there's some objective analysis going on of
        historical gnosticism, and then fall back into personal definition
        with cries of heterodox whenever the literature doesn't agree with
        personal view. Gnosticism is not "anyone's "personal path" of
        psychological "spirituality", another comment posted here.

        Cari asked me why, if I didn't believe in contrasting gnostics to
        pistics to define aspects of gnosticism, then why did I do that? I
        was actually shocked because I had no intention of doing that, and
        realized I fell into it. The simple answer was that I was asked to
        and the question intrigued me. I now realize it was a HUGE mistake
        and why. I should have never diverted into that tangent. I'm still
        holding to, now more than ever, that you do not define gnostic terms
        as some kind of polar opposite to pistics, or in contrast to any
        other religion. You define it based on itself.

        Here's another irony. Why is the attempt to analyze faith is met with
        suspicion? Is it a dirty word? The pistics are immediately dragged up
        for comparison (see, lookee here what faith results in). The
        term "critical reasoning" is bandied about as if it's contrary to
        faith or mysticism. Mysticism is now not part of gnosis. No matter
        that gnosticism is a _religion_ and not just merely a philosophy and
        those elements are blatantly there in the literature. Pursuit of a
        definition it is met with implied accusations of an orthodox
        approach, and "gnostics aren't orthodox". Eventually, dead martyrs
        are dug up, as I knew they'd be, as if to say "see what happens"!
        What this has to do with pistics I don't know because had
        the "faithful" been true to their own dogmatic doctrines than there
        wouldn't have been any slaughter, instead much giving away of coats
        and shirts, turning of cheeks, and loving the enemy, and avoidance of
        judgement on others.
        Conversely, "historical definitions are the important ones for you to
        know in order to be a part of conversation here" is also brought up
        the minute someone strays into new age lala land. So which is it?

        So my "intent" has been questioned, and suspicions of orthodox
        influence, or rather "baggage", for "zealously defending faith".
        Now it's what could possibly be my religious influence. (if you're
        getting p'ed at this too bad, you're not half as mad as I was when I
        read all this, and you have no idea how I've restrained myself).
        Snide accusations of past posting history, while at the
        same time contradictorily stating that bringing up past posts is a no
        no in debate. Now you write "thread had already dragged on to
        inordinate length, and probably shouldn't have needed clarification
        at a Gnostic site in the first place". Thanks a lot, here I thought
        critical analysis was the point. Except nothings clear as far as the
        posts go, everyone's falling back is individual interpretation, and
        what word are we substituting for faith. Oh by the way, I've seen FAR
        longer threads on this board.
        This is the most depressing disillusioning experience because it's
        exactly the kind of thing I experienced in my "orthodox" influence. I
        know it when I see it.

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 5, 2003
          Hello ernststrohregenmantelrad

          On 04-Apr-03, you wrote:
          . For "sin' means as Pagels states on
          > page 148-149, "the New Testement term for sin, _hamartia_, comes
          > from the sport of archery; literally, it means "missing the mark" So
          > the original meaning of "hamartia" didn't necessary mean
          > "transgresion" per se.

          THIS POINT NEEDS EMPHASIZING, THIS IS THE TRUE MEANING OF SIN.

          > I don't like the term pistic Christians because of the same
          > reason for the word Gnosticism. There was no movement or
          > group that identified each other as "pistic". And as I stated there
          > was no uniform "pistic" theology just as there was no uniform
          > "Gnostic" theology. It is a misnormer to state that historically
          > there were two kinds of Christians, pistic and gnostic, like one
          > internet web sites falsely speading as the matter of fact.

          Yes, Marcion comes to mind, a little bit of each. :-) Origin and
          Clement too, for that matter.

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 5, 2003
            Hello incognito_lightbringer

            On 05-Apr-03, you wrote:

            > So my "intent" has been questioned, and suspicions of orthodox
            > influence, or rather "baggage", for "zealously defending faith". Now
            > it's what could possibly be my religious influence. (if you're
            > getting p'ed at this too bad, you're not half as mad as I was when I
            > read all this, and you have no idea how I've restrained myself).
            > Snide accusations of past posting history, while at the same time
            > contradictorily stating that bringing up past posts is a no no in
            > debate. Now you write "thread had already dragged on to inordinate
            > length, and probably shouldn't have needed clarification at a
            > Gnostic site in the first place". Thanks a lot, here I thought
            > critical analysis was the point. Except nothings clear as far as the
            > posts go, everyone's falling back is individual interpretation, and
            > what word are we substituting for faith. Oh by the way, I've seen
            > FAR longer threads on this board. This is the most depressing
            > disillusioning experience because it's exactly the kind of thing I
            > experienced in my "orthodox" influence. I know it when I see it.

            Just to clarify, I agree with your point about the role of faith in
            Gnosticism, Pistis is ahead of Sophia in the title after all. Also I
            have enjoyed your posts, and learned from them. I guess I'm an old
            jaded gnostic, as nothing in this thread has upset me, only
            enlightened me as different points of view were put forth. It is, of
            course, the best form to leave out personal references, but
            cultivating a thick skin helps as it will happen. :-)

          • incognito_lightbringer
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 6, 2003
              Thanks Mike
              This is having a thick skin, for me LOL :O
              If there's debate among scholars defining gnosis and gnosticism, I
              don't suppose faith should have been any different.
              And it's not so much faith as it is taking the mystical or
              transcendent out of gnosis and gnosticism that bothered me; takes all
              the flavor out of it, like salt without food (to quote from my
              orthodox upbringing). And the transcendent is the starting point in
              gnostic texts that describe the Father and the series of emanations.
              I don't see how that can be broached without some element of faith
              working.

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 6, 2003
                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, incognito_lightbringer
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Thanks Mike
                > This is having a thick skin, for me LOL :O
                > If there's debate among scholars defining gnosis and gnosticism, I
                > don't suppose faith should have been any different.
                > And it's not so much faith as it is taking the mystical or
                > transcendent out of gnosis and gnosticism that bothered me; takes
                all
                > the flavor out of it, like salt without food (to quote from my
                > orthodox upbringing). And the transcendent is the starting point in
                > gnostic texts that describe the Father and the series of
                emanations.
                > I don't see how that can be broached without some element of faith
                > working.

                Micren, before I even come close to having the time required in a day
                to address your previous questions and allegations of the horrible
                mistreatment you've gotten here, I'd like to ask one simple question:

                You close that paragraph with the unmistakable implication that
                people are continuing to "piss" on Pistis——as if they genuinely felt
                that it had NO place in Gnosticism. I'm just really curious if you
                never noticed the repeated attempts by your "opponents" in
                this "debate" to inform you that such was never an issue in our eyes?

                From my standpoint, I have merely wanted to point out that there is a
                difference in application of the terms between a Gnostic setting and
                one of a conventional faith.

                Mike and Ernst are right about the etymological origin of "sin," a
                fact which was NOT disputed here. In fact, the same definition had
                been offered here before (probably on numerous occasions prior to the
                botched archive re-shuffling). Again, I love to see that we have
                another area of agreement, but the fact remains that the notion
                of "missing the mark" is different in the eyes of a purely Pistic
                individual than for a Gnostic.

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 6, 2003

                  > Just to clarify, I agree with your point about the role of faith in
                  > Gnosticism, Pistis is ahead of Sophia in the title after all. Also
                  > have enjoyed your posts, and learned from them. I guess I'm an old
                  > jaded gnostic, as nothing in this thread has upset me, only
                  > enlightened me as different points of view were put forth. It is,
                  of
                  > course, the best form to leave out personal references, but
                  > cultivating a thick skin helps as it will happen. :-)
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > --
                  > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                  Mike, I have one question for you as well (just to see if we've all
                  been on the same page all along). Since this relates to a matter of
                  a personal nature, you may choose to treat it as a rhetorical
                  question, but I'll ask nonetheless:

                  Realizing that you preside over a Gnostic church, I'm curious why you
                  made that choice, rather than . . . say . . . a Methodist church?

                  I'm hoping you won't tell me something like, "It's a shorter
                  commute," although I wouldn't put it past you. LOL In spite of the
                  dangers of "assuming" anything, I'd wager that there was "something"
                  about the Gnostic viewpoint that resonated differently for you than
                  within the mainstream.

                  Again, this is the gist of the case I've tried to present here——that
                  there IS a difference, otherwise, none of us would be at a Gnostic
                  site, there would be no Gnosticism category, and any of us of a
                  religious persuasion would be attending the VERY SAME Church since
                  such terms as heterodox and orthodox have been defenestrated for
                  utter lack of interest.

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 6, 2003

                    On 06-Apr-03, you wrote:

                    > Thanks Mike
                    > This is having a thick skin, for me LOL :O If there's debate among
                    > scholars defining gnosis and gnosticism, I don't suppose faith
                    > should have been any different. And it's not so much faith as it is
                    > taking the mystical or transcendent out of gnosis and gnosticism
                    > that bothered me; takes all the flavor out of it, like salt without
                    > food (to quote from my orthodox upbringing). And the transcendent is
                    > the starting point in gnostic texts that describe the Father and the
                    > series of emanations. I don't see how that can be broached without
                    > some element of faith working.

                    You haven't said anything there I disagree with either. Good points.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 6, 2003
                      Hello Gerry

                      On 06-Apr-03, you wrote:

                      > Mike and Ernst are right about the etymological origin of "sin," a
                      > fact which was NOT disputed here. In fact, the same definition had
                      > been offered here before (probably on numerous occasions prior to
                      > the botched archive re-shuffling). Again, I love to see that we have
                      > another area of agreement, but the fact remains that the notion of
                      > "missing the mark" is different in the eyes of a purely Pistic
                      > individual than for a Gnostic.

                      I hate one word replies, but this calls for one, _absolutely_!

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 6, 2003
                        Hello Gerry

                        On 06-Apr-03, you wrote:

                        >> Just to clarify, I agree with your point about the role of faith in
                        >> Gnosticism, Pistis is ahead of Sophia in the title after all. Also
                        >> have enjoyed your posts, and learned from them. I guess I'm an old
                        >> jaded gnostic, as nothing in this thread has upset me, only
                        >> enlightened me as different points of view were put forth. It is,
                        > of
                        >> course, the best form to leave out personal references, but
                        >> cultivating a thick skin helps as it will happen. :-)
                        >>
                        >> Regards
                        >> --
                        >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
                        >

                        > Mike, I have one question for you as well (just to see if we've all
                        > been on the same page all along). Since this relates to a matter of
                        > a personal nature, you may choose to treat it as a rhetorical
                        > question, but I'll ask nonetheless:
                        >
                        > Realizing that you preside over a Gnostic church, I'm curious why
                        > you made that choice, rather than . . . say . . . a Methodist
                        > church?
                        >
                        > I'm hoping you won't tell me something like, "It's a shorter
                        > commute," although I wouldn't put it past you. LOL In spite of the
                        > dangers of "assuming" anything, I'd wager that there was "something"
                        > about the Gnostic viewpoint that resonated differently for you than
                        > within the mainstream.
                        >
                        > Again, this is the gist of the case I've tried to present here

                        Well Bishop Stephan presides over the church, I'm just the senior
                        priest by date of ordination (1975).

                        Actually it is a longer commute. :-)

                        Yes it was something different, in my case from the Rosicrucian
                        (Heindel/Steiner not AMORC)/Manley Hall (still good)/New Age religious
                        upbringing I had (actually it was not pushed on me, I took it up on
                        my own). But I never had any Orthodox religious junk to deal with in
                        my upbringing. I attended Episcopal services in Vietnam, but that
                        was for the liturgy, because I was already hooked on that from
                        Stephan's church, though I was more into Qabalah theologically than
                        anything else at the time. It made a logical transition to Gnosis
                        (especially Luria), and I never gave it up either. As you may have
                        guessed, the liturgy drew me in, then came Gnosis.

                      • ernststrohregenmantelrad2000
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 15, 2003
                          Hi, please bear with me because this is a long post.

                          In post #7463

                          pseudo-
                          gnostic wannabee again confusing his new age "evolution of
                          conscieous" crap as a pale rendering of Gnosticism. And then
                          that turned into bickering on the definition of "pistis" (BTW,
                          looking back at posts, I felt like reading Irenaeus because the
                          posts were erased yet some quotes were cited to refute.)<<

                          Gerry:
                          The only posts that were deleted had no purpose here. They
                          were
                          spam. There's actually another recent one I'm considering
                          eliminating from the archives, but from now on, I'll be sure to
                          forward all spam directly to your mailbox prior to deletion so you
                          can lord over it as you please.<<<<

                          I was just commenting on the how reading posts which were
                          replies to the delated post reminded me of reading polmetical
                          works of heresiologists. I was not commenting on the validity of
                          erased posts or their relevence (as you see them) in this egroup.
                          In fact if you are so concerned about spams why don't you erase
                          #7361. (As of the time of this writing it is not erased.). This post
                          is a spam as much as those that were posted by the delated ex-
                          member Weyne. As for the posts in question they were Gerry's
                          post #7304 which was a reply to #7298 and PMCV's post #7300
                          which was reply to #7299. Now one post by Weyne was purely a
                          post with just a link to a web site of a book (which he was so
                          enthuse about or pushing everyone to buy it. It depeses on one's
                          perspective) but IMO #7298 and #7299 included some
                          information besides the link to the aforementioned web site.
                          Granted that information might have been a rationalization to the
                          web site but still it gave, as far as I can see from archives inspite
                          of delated posts, some sort of discussion over the term
                          "Gnosticism". But I really can not tell because the
                          aforementioned posts were erased and judging from the replies
                          on what really did Weyne post lead me to guessing because in
                          replies his quotes are not in entirely and they may be quotted out
                          of context. AND THAT'S THE REASON WHY I COMMENTED AS
                          SUCH. JUST COMMENTING THAT THIS INTERACTION
                          REMINDED ME OF IRENAEUS NOT I WANT TO READ SPAM AS
                          YOU SARCASTICALLY STATED.

                          Gerry #7463

                          >>Thank you for your "clarification," but are you still somehow
                          unaware
                          that my conceptual distinction was never intended to be a
                          technical
                          definition, even after two people have pointed that out?<<<

                          Is it right to make the distingtion between technical and non-
                          technical term when you are discussing something historical
                          and needs to be explained with definiton as you are doing with
                          Incognito? This I find to be confusing. This is what you wrote in
                          #7390 before your "sarcastic, non-technical" definition.

                          > >>If sin isn't sin and faith isn't faith and creator isn't creator,
                          than what is it?<<(Incognito)

                          > Guess I goofed again. By including "damnation" (which you
                          seemed to notice was out of place) in that string of redundancy, I
                          was trying to show that if the mainstream definitions were the
                          only ones available, then those groups sheltered under the
                          umbrella of Gnosticism would be no different from the
                          conventional orthodoxy. Are these differences not what we've
                          been pointing out during this discussion of "faith"?

                          From this you draw up the supposed "sarcastic, non-technical"
                          i.e. caricature definitions to show Incognito that these terms
                          were different between Gnostics and so called pistics. I have no
                          problem with that and I also see your point; however, what I
                          pointing out is that (and I think this was what Incognito also was
                          asserting -tell me if I'm wrong) that the difference between
                          Gnostics and so called pistics came NOT as the result of
                          different differnition of terms that you discussed (faith, sin,
                          creator and damnation(!)) but as consequence resulting from
                          their respective cosmology. So if you mean definition those
                          terms are same for both Gnostics and Orthodox but the
                          consequese is different. I feel you are confusing those two.

                          >> BTW, if we
                          stick to your literalist interpretation of "sin," then the only valid
                          context we can allow for its discussion is on the field while taking
                          aim at a bull's-eye.<<

                          Again the term "sin" is same for both Gnostics and Orthodox.
                          And thank you for your sarcastic comment but you know full well
                          what I'm aiming at here (a pun intended). For both groups "sin",
                          no matter what, means "missing the target set by God". Humans
                          fell grory of "God" (or Pleroma in case of Gnostics) no matter
                          what. That is the sin. The difference comes when ones goes
                          from there-what to do with "sin". What is the consequese of "sin",
                          How "sin" came about" and What is the remedty. In fact besides
                          Pagels, I heard the defintion of "sin" as "missing the target" from
                          two people. One is Stephan Hoeller in one of his talk and
                          another is a Luteran paster in a church I used to attend. Now as
                          you say those two are typical resprentive of your "Gnostics" and
                          so called "pistic" yet they used the same definition of "sin as
                          missing the target" And to tie with your discussion with Incognito
                          on other terms, faith, etc... is also same in definition.

                          >>Furthermore, if you think I pulled the
                          understanding of "sin" as "ignorance" out of a hat, you're again
                          mistaken.<<

                          No, I didn't. Did I say that? Look again. I specially stated that it
                          might be floating around the general discussion and perhasp
                          from the TV documentary "Gnostics" in the post.

                          >>If you don't like the term, Ernst, you're free to leave anytime.
                          There's really no point in you remaining to discuss Gnosticism if
                          you
                          truly see no difference between those groups and the rest of
                          Christianity. On the other hand, if you can remove your head
                          from
                          your definitions long enough to realize that certain
                          generalizations
                          can indeed be recognized, then the whole point of having
                          a "Gnosticism" category at Yahoo might just be validated.<<

                          Why not liking the term "pistic" warrent my departure from the
                          group? The term like Gnosticism is not really cleary concensus
                          term. There are differences of opinion on the term and what it
                          entails (for example like I said how about Marcion?) plus it was
                          the term not by used by those in question. If one goes by what
                          you saying then a person should also leave because one is not
                          happy with the definition of "Gnosticism". You are putting words
                          in my mouth if I think there are no difference between Gnosticism
                          and what became of Orthodox. What I was saying there is that
                          the term pistic is a misnormer and shouldn't used at all (that's
                          why I don't used it) and my feeling is that it shouldn't be used at
                          all because it will create the confusion of equating what became
                          as Orthodox with 'pistic' as some group. That is not seeing
                          orthodox and gnostics and the same entities.

                          BTW, when I created the club there was no yahoo category
                          "Gnosticism". So basing that as one one the rationalization is not
                          good.
                        • George Harvey
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 16, 2003
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad2000
                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                            > BTW, when I created the club there was no yahoo category
                            > "Gnosticism". So basing that as one one the rationalization is not
                            > good.

                            Hi,
                            I wanted to ask you this off list as this is off topic, but you seem
                            to have your address hidden so:

                            What club are you talking about?

                            And to everyone else: I apologize for the off topic post.

                            George