Re: The Egyptian "epi-center" of the Pessemism of a Material Existence

  • George
    Message 1 of 48 , Apr 3, 2003
      Fred,

      I enjoyed your post about the "Amarna Period" as a time
      when the cross section of various forces might have
      initiated Gnosticism or Proto-Gnosticism.

      I will champion your idea if you could find any
      "our body - a tomb" type references in the Amarna
      period texts.

      Any thoughts about this?

      George
      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 6, 2003
        Hello lady_caritas

        On 06-Apr-03, you wrote:

        >> My Bishop makes good points here, but it just makes the historian's
        >> task more difficult, not less desirable, and it makes his goals
        >> more circumscribed, perhaps.
        >>
        >> Regards
        >> --
        >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
        >

        > I would agree, Mike. Historians offer us contextual information for
        > our discussions.
        >
        > You also mention in Post #7467, "If we don't know where we came
        > from, we don't know where we are going. Gnosis may be now, but it is
        > not in a vacuum."
        >
        > Again, agreed, of course gnosis is not in a vacuum. We live in a
        > temporal world and gnosis is comprehended within that environment.
        >
        > I suppose my point was to say that your comment, "If we don't know
        > where we came from, we don't know where we are going," could be
        > viewed with more than one meaning.
        >

        > Cari

        Always, it is a limitation of the language, any language. And one can
        get so hung up in the history, one forgets about practice. My BA was
        in Classical and Medieval History, my MA is in Psychology, so I guess
        that puts me squarely in both the historical and the practice camps,
        actually not a contradiction as I see it.