Re: pray for Mandeans in Iraq

  • ernststrohregenmantelrad
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2003
      thank you for your thought Terje.

      this war is about demiurge extending his power. (remember
      Rome never died)

      and I'm surprised that no one here has commented on it. i'm
      sure everyone is afraid to write his feeling because the war in
      general doesn't connect with the supposed topic of this group.
      However, anyone who thinks like that is foolish. As I mentioned
      the Mandeans live around Basra not to mention that Mani was
      from Mesopotamia. It is not the West vs. Islam as there were still
      some Christians left in Iraq (the most famous one being Tariq
      Aziz, the foreign minister). they are Assyrian Christians
      (sometimes falsely called Nestorians). Their tradition is
      important to the study of Syriac church which might be the key to
      the Thomas tradition-one that produced the Act of Thomas and
      even maybe the Gospel of Thomas.

      the cradle of the civilization is lost for what?

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Terje Bergersen" <
      terje@b...> wrote:

      > Ernest: Pray for the Mandaeans in Iraq
      > > and others....
      >
      > My thought this moment as well, Ernest...
      > Basra was reported hit on Saturday, and I remembered how
      much were
      > destroyed during the campaign against the Civilian
      infrastructure
      > last time around (in 92).
      >
      > May the Great Life have compassion for its children,
      > May those who have died find safe passage to the Realm of
      Truth.

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2003
        Hello ernststrohregenmantelrad

        On 03-Apr-03, you wrote:

        > thank you for your thought Terje.
        >
        > this war is about demiurge extending his power. (remember
        > Rome never died)
        >
        > and I'm surprised that no one here has commented on it. i'm
        > sure everyone is afraid to write his feeling because the war in
        > general doesn't connect with the supposed topic of this group.
        > However, anyone who thinks like that is foolish. As I mentioned
        > the Mandeans live around Basra not to mention that Mani was
        > from Mesopotamia. It is not the West vs. Islam as there were still
        > some Christians left in Iraq (the most famous one being Tariq
        > Aziz, the foreign minister). they are Assyrian Christians
        > (sometimes falsely called Nestorians). Their tradition is
        > important to the study of Syriac church which might be the key to
        > the Thomas tradition-one that produced the Act of Thomas and
        > even maybe the Gospel of Thomas.
        >
        > the cradle of the civilization is lost for what?

        Fortunately it is not as bad as it would first appear. The Mandeans,
        ever since the Iraq -- Iran war (they were drafted to fight on both
        sides of it), have been systematically emigrating to this country.
        There are now thousands of them here, in California, New York and
        Florida mostly. They even have a baptistry in Florida. A couple of
        years ago a friend of mine met the Chief Mandean Priest of California
        in a restaurant, and he knew just barely enough about them to know
        them as gnostics (they identified themselves as such, too). He got
        this information from him. So they will not die as a faith, even if
        every last one in Iraq and Iran dies. Still, of course, I pray for
        them, as loss of them in their homeland would still be irreparable.