Re: The Egyptian "epi-center" of the Pessemism of a Material Existence

  • ernststrohregenmantelrad
    Message 1 of 48 , Apr 3 12:39 AM
      hi,

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Wenninger" <
      eugnostos2000@y...> wrote:

      >My personal opinion is that
      > Jewish gnosticism was largely dependant on Hellenic
      influence.

      Is there any such a thing as '"Jewish Gnosticism"?

      Or is it misnormer by Scholem?
      Message 48 of 48 , Apr 6 1:02 PM
        Hello lady_caritas

        On 06-Apr-03, you wrote:

        >> My Bishop makes good points here, but it just makes the historian's
        >> task more difficult, not less desirable, and it makes his goals
        >> more circumscribed, perhaps.
        >>
        >> Regards
        >> --
        >> Mike Leavitt ac998@l...
        >

        > I would agree, Mike. Historians offer us contextual information for
        > our discussions.
        >
        > You also mention in Post #7467, "If we don't know where we came
        > from, we don't know where we are going. Gnosis may be now, but it is
        > not in a vacuum."
        >
        > Again, agreed, of course gnosis is not in a vacuum. We live in a
        > temporal world and gnosis is comprehended within that environment.
        >
        > I suppose my point was to say that your comment, "If we don't know
        > where we came from, we don't know where we are going," could be
        > viewed with more than one meaning.
        >

        > Cari

        Always, it is a limitation of the language, any language. And one can
        get so hung up in the history, one forgets about practice. My BA was
        in Classical and Medieval History, my MA is in Psychology, so I guess
        that puts me squarely in both the historical and the practice camps,
        actually not a contradiction as I see it.