Re: Gnostic reading for exousia?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, AJRoberti@a... wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      > I was just curious if anyone here was aware of a particular Gnostic
      > for exousia? This word is used in the New Testament to refer to
      the special
      > 'authority' with which Jesus spoke... in NT usage it seems to refer
      to a
      > pecular kind of forcefulness or charisma. The way Paul uses it, it
      seems to
      > have a technical meaning for him as well.
      > It also occurs in the Pauline literature alongside arche and
      dynamis ("powers
      > and principalities), for example in I Cor. 15:24: "Then comes the
      end, when
      > he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every
      rule and
      > every authority and power." Cf. also Ephesians 6:12. Here arche
      > corresponded by Valentinians to the archons of Gnostic myth, though
      I know of
      > no parallel esoteric meaning for dynamis, I wonder if such an
      > meaning might have existed for exousia?
      > Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge on this.
      > Tony Roberti

      Hi, Tony. I'm not sure about an explicitly esoteric definition for
      _exousia_, but my understanding is that _dunamis_ is an *inherent
      power* that resides in the nature of a thing. In contrast, _exousia_
      is the power arising from the *freedom* (or external
      opportunity/liberty of action) to do something.

      Maybe others have further thoughts on this.