Gnostic reading for exousia?

  • AJRoberti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
      Hello everyone,

      I was just curious if anyone here was aware of a particular Gnostic reading for exousia?  This word is used in the New Testament to refer to the special 'authority' with which Jesus spoke... in NT usage it seems to refer to a pecular kind of forcefulness or charisma.  The way Paul uses it, it seems to have a technical meaning for him as well.

      It also occurs in the Pauline literature alongside arche and dynamis ("powers and principalities), for example in I Cor. 15:24: "Then comes the end, when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power."   Cf. also Ephesians 6:12.  Here arche was corresponded by Valentinians to the archons of Gnostic myth, though I know of no parallel esoteric meaning for dynamis, I wonder if such an esoteric meaning might have existed for exousia?

      Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge on this.

      Tony Roberti
      ---
      Renewal Gnosticism: http://members.aol.com/AJRoberti/rg/index.htm

      Look at this window: it is nothing but a hole in the wall, but because of it the whole room is full of light. So when the faculties are empty, the heart is full of light.
      --Chuang Tzu

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2003
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, AJRoberti@a... wrote:
        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I was just curious if anyone here was aware of a particular Gnostic
        reading
        > for exousia? This word is used in the New Testament to refer to
        the special
        > 'authority' with which Jesus spoke... in NT usage it seems to refer
        to a
        > pecular kind of forcefulness or charisma. The way Paul uses it, it
        seems to
        > have a technical meaning for him as well.
        >
        > It also occurs in the Pauline literature alongside arche and
        dynamis ("powers
        > and principalities), for example in I Cor. 15:24: "Then comes the
        end, when
        > he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every
        rule and
        > every authority and power." Cf. also Ephesians 6:12. Here arche
        was
        > corresponded by Valentinians to the archons of Gnostic myth, though
        I know of
        > no parallel esoteric meaning for dynamis, I wonder if such an
        esoteric
        > meaning might have existed for exousia?
        >
        > Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge on this.
        >
        > Tony Roberti

        Hi, Tony. I'm not sure about an explicitly esoteric definition for
        _exousia_, but my understanding is that _dunamis_ is an *inherent
        power* that resides in the nature of a thing. In contrast, _exousia_
        is the power arising from the *freedom* (or external
        opportunity/liberty of action) to do something.

        Maybe others have further thoughts on this.