Review of The Apocrypha by John A. De Vito - Great book, but not for everyone

  • soulofdawne
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 16 6:21 PM
      This was terrific. The author has created a novel with heavy gnostic
      overtones and an ingenious reworking of mainstream christian myth.
      Under the right conditions, I can see it starting a whole new
      religion. This book tells the Devil's story of the creation of God,
      Satan and Man. It positions the Devil as good, God as evil, and Jesus
      trying to walk the fine line between the two.

      It's the devil's story of what really happened before, during and
      after creation - from the birth of God, Satan and the Angels to the
      creation of man, the end of the age of miracles and the final
      prophecies of Armageddon. As you can imagine, God is not the good
      guy. The writing style is biblical in flavor and really sets an eerie
      mood. The explainations and logic of the arguments are impeccable.

      It begins in another universe and ends with a prophesy of the End
      Times - some of which may have already come true. The book weaves
      together christian myth, folklore, biochemistry, physics, and a slew
      of moral philosophy. The blend creates a dogma that rings truer than
      the bible! It answers questions that the old and new testaments leave
      hanging. I've never seen science and religion weaved so well that the
      end result actually made sense.
    • ernststrohregenmantelrad
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17 7:21 AM
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "soulofdawne" <
        soulofdawne@y...> wrote:
        > This was terrific. The author has created a novel with heavy
        gnostic
        > overtones

        could you elabrate on this sentence with the emphasis on on the
        term "gnostic" in the lieu of our discussions here about the
        definition of that particular term? thank you.

        I've never seen science and religion weaved so well that the
        > end result actually made sense.

        My instinct tells me mixing science and religion is not good.
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 17 9:41 AM
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "soulofdawne" <
          > soulofdawne@y...> wrote:
          > > This was terrific. The author has created a novel with heavy
          > gnostic
          > > overtones....
          >
          > could you elabrate on this sentence with the emphasis on on the
          > term "gnostic" in the lieu of our discussions here about the
          > definition of that particular term? thank you.

          I don't know that you ought to expect any elaborations on this one,
          Ernst, since roughly the same post was spammed across the boards.

          What's interesting is that the book seems to have gotten decent
          enough reader reviews already, so I'm not sure why the need
          to "promote" the book in this fashion? Of course, it's hard to
          ascertain the actual identity of those other readers, as well. Maybe
          the author has nothing better to do than review his own work under
          different guises.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 17 1:06 PM
            Hello Gerry

            On 17-Mar-03, you wrote:

            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            >> --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "soulofdawne" <
            >> soulofdawne@y...> wrote:
            >>> This was terrific. The author has created a novel with heavy
            >> gnostic
            >>> overtones....
            >>
            >> could you elabrate on this sentence with the emphasis on on the
            >> term "gnostic" in the lieu of our discussions here about the
            >> definition of that particular term? thank you.
            >

            > I don't know that you ought to expect any elaborations on this one,
            > Ernst, since roughly the same post was spammed across the boards.
            >
            > What's interesting is that the book seems to have gotten decent
            > enough reader reviews already, so I'm not sure why the need to
            > "promote" the book in this fashion? Of course, it's hard to
            > ascertain the actual identity of those other readers, as well. Maybe
            > the author has nothing better to do than review his own work under
            > different guises.

            Interesting. Anyway transposing God and the Devil is more Manachean
            than Gnostic anyway. It is more of an absolute dualism. Close to,
            but not quite gnostic, IMO.

          • Janice Quinn
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 17 3:53 PM

              <<ernststrohregenmantelrad <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: could you elabrate...with the emphasis on on the term "gnostic" >>

              Love to!  This book proports an alternate telling of the more common biblical tales.  Fundamental to the entire work, is the notion that mankind as a race can only achive ascention through internal awareness.   That is, the individual soul must achive a certain spiritual level in order to become a sentient spiritual entity unpon release from the mortal cocoon.  These entities then seek like kind, and join to create a gestalt spiritual being.

              They book is a collection of related tales, through which the nature and method of the devine beings is clarified.   Humanity is shown as being selectively evolved to create a flawed half-man, half-beast.  Our struggle is to move beyond this, despite the fact that we were created to make this difficult.  The argument is that man is not a reasoning animal, but an animal capable of reason.   This is a major distinction.

              The book is worded in a biblical style that is captivating and, well, spooky.  This book reflects so much of my own thoughts that its just uncanny, as if it justifes what I've felt my whole life.  Hope that helps, its hard to explain.

              The science comes into play in a few areas - that God found earth with life upon it already, and 'manipulated the flesh of the beasts' - genetics? -  to alter them and create man.  Also, tacyon physics seems to explain the creation of the universe and the Cycle of Time, as the book puts it.  As starnge as it sounds, he pulls it off.

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Janice Quinn
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 17 3:56 PM

                Well, okay, but i responded.  Spammed?  I am looking to discuss it and guess what, there is more than one board on Gnosis, the Gospel of Thomas, and, yep, even Enoch.  It seems you can converse on multiuple boards, but I can't?

                I'm done commenting on this.  I'm here to discuss it, not to defend myself against flamming....

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 17 4:02 PM

                  << Mike Leavitt <ac998@...> wrote: Interesting.  Anyway ransposing God and the Devil is more Manachean than Gnostic anyway.  It is more of an absolute dualism.  Close to,but not quite gnostic, IMO.>>

                  Your right in that respect, but I was referring to other points.  See my prior response. What this book also did by this role reversal was to point our dogmatic flaws in mainstream christian thought.  Particularly, why god took issue with a tree of knowledge and one of life - I mean, these, as described in genesis, were good things (although the Tao would disagree).

                  Another section clarified the reason that (according to KJV) God would ask Moses to go free the jews, but then 'harden pharoah's heart' so that he would not 'harken unto the words of Moses.'

                  Is this a completely gnostic book?  Nope.  There's a little bit of a lot in here.  That's why I liked it!

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Sue McPherson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 18 1:37 AM
                    Ths book sounds intriguing.  I wonder, would you mind if I shared
                    your review of it with another discussion list?  I especially like your
                    phrasing in the last paragraph - about combining science and religion.

                    Sue McPherson

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 18 10:22 AM
                      <<<In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Sue McPherson" <sue@m...> wrote:
                      I wonder, would you mind if I shared your review of it with another
                      discussion list? I especially like your phrasing in the last
                      paragraph - about combining science and religion.>>>>

                      I'd love to, Sue. That's exactly what I am looking for...I'd just
                      need your guidance on how to do that. If you want to initiate one,
                      please do and I will gladly discus it!
                    • Sue McPherson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 18 12:05 PM
                        Actually I was just interested in showing them the review.
                        I have already mentioned the book to them - and it sounds
                        intriguing - but no one has read it.  Is that not a possibility?
                        could I do so and quote your name, or would you prefer to
                        remain anonymous?

                        Sue McPherson