Sethian Gnostic Baptism

  • enosbnst
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2003
      Illumined and illuminating is the whole Place where in dwells Pronoia,
      the Thought of Light, the great unnameable mystery of the living
      silence of the Spirit, and the Word of the Father, and a Light
      dwelling in Light; from whom providence, the First-born, the First-
      begotten, came forth, He created gods and archangels and angels,
      myriads without number, powers and glories and incorruptions; and
      established thrones in glory, myriads without number, in the four
      aeons around them. And they reflected upon the knowledge of the
      eternal God in their heart. That is, the knowledge of the Thought of
      the Fatherhood.
      And it behoveth a disciple to learn from his teacher and a man from
      his God. And so
      the angels fell down before him and worshiped him that lives for ever
      and ever, and cast their crowns before his throne, saying: God is our
      teacher. Stretch out to us, O Him-Who-Is, at all times thy right hand
      of blessings.

      In the Name of the great invisible Spirit, the aeon of the aeons,
      Autogenes, self-begotten, self-producing, alien, the really true
      aeon. May to everyone and everything (come) the fatherly kindness and
      affection and love, and any teaching there may be that is sweet and
      plain, giving us mind, speech, (and) knowledge: mind, so that we may
      understand You, speech, so that we may expound You, knowledge, so
      that we may know You. We rejoice, having been illuminated by Your
      knowledge; and may forgiveness be with me, (so and so,) through the
      great mystery of forgiveness of sins.
      In the Name of the Father of All, Ennoia of the Light, dwelling in
      the heights above the (regions) below, Light dwelling in the heights,
      Voice of Truth, upright Nous, untouchable Logos, and ineffable Voice,
      incomprehensible Father! And in the Name of the Great first aeon,
      male virginal Barbelo, the first glory of the invisible Father, she
      who is called "perfect". And in the Name of HIM-WHO-IS, whose aeon
      was prepared before Time and preceded the living water, the Silence
      hidden from the All, and the immeasurable Light, uttering a Voice by
      means of thought that cries out in everyone, vines spread and
      flourished, and light came into being by itself, established
      [itself], and appeared in its aeon.
      He-Who-Is is ineffable. No principle knew him, no authority, no
      subjection, nor any creature from the foundation of the world, except
      he alone. For he is immortal and eternal, having no birth; for
      everyone who has birth will perish. He is unbegotten, having no
      beginning; for everyone who has a beginning has an end. No one rules
      over him. He has no name; for whoever has a name is the creation of
      another. He is prior to perfection. He was prior to every divinity,
      and he is prior to every blessedness, since he provides for every
      power.
      At that time, before the foundation of the cosmos, the earth was
      without form and void and the limitless darkness was upon the
      bottomless water. From it, there appeared jealousy, a force presiding
      over the darkness called 'the limitless chaos,' an abortion without
      any spirit in it. Like a shadow, it came into existence in a vast
      watery substance. It appeared, out of the waters, lion-like in
      appearance, androgynous, having great authority within him, and
      ignorant of whence he had come into being. From it, every kind of
      divinity sprouted up [...] together with the entire place.
      Now it happened, as I raised my eyes to the place of the height, all
      the archons hated me because I ceased from their mystery, and because
      I wished to go to the height and to make myself above them all. Now
      on account of these things they were angry with me, and they hated
      me. But I remained sorrowing, seeking the light which I saw. And the
      archons and all the watchers which were at the gates of the aeons
      hated me.
      Then I cried out very much. I cried out to the Light of Lights which
      I had seen from the beginning, in which I had believed, and I said :
      Now it happened, as I raised my eyes to the place of the height, all
      the archons hated me because I ceased from their mystery, and because
      I wished to go to the height and to make myself above them all. Now
      on account of these things they were angry with me, and they hated
      me. But I remained sorrowing, seeking the light which I saw. And the
      archons and all the watchers which were at the gates of the aeons
      hated me.
      "And then I stretched out my hands and I did not find him as I
      thought (he would be). But afterward I heard him saying, "Understand
      and take hold of me." Then I understood, and I was afraid. And I was
      exceedingly joyful.
      "And he kissed my mouth. He took hold of me, saying, "My beloved!
      Behold, I shall reveal to you those things that (neither) the heavens
      nor their archons have known. Behold, I shall reveal to you those
      things that he did not know, he who boasted, "[...] there is no other
      except me. Am I not alive? Because I am a father, do I not have power
      for everything?" Behold, I shall reveal to you everything, my
      beloved. Understand and know them that you may come forth just as I
      am. Behold, I shall reveal to you him who is hidden.
      Then I stretched out my hand and took hold of His hand having given
      it to one lying prone on the ground, He placed me firmly on my feet,
      for I had not yet stood up. He gave me the means of knowing the
      knowledge of the Father and the revelation of his son. He permitted
      me to taste and smell and grasp the beloved son.
      He gave to me from the Water of Life, which strips me of the chaos
      that is in the uttermost darkness that exists inside the entire
      abyss, that is, the thought of the corporeal and the psychic. All
      these He put on. And He stripped me of it, and He put upon me a
      shining Light, that is, the knowledge of the Thought of the
      Fatherhood.

      Barbelo conceived me. The great invisible virginal Spirit begot me. "-
      Bariel, Nouthan, and Sabenai enthroned me from the Throne of
      Glory. - Ariom, Elien, and Phariel glorified me with the glory of
      the Fatherhood. Kamaliel, [...]anen, and Samblo, snatched me away
      with the servants of <the> great holy luminaries - and they took me
      into the light-place of my Fatherhood. And I received the Five seals
      from the Light of the Mother, Protennoia, and it was granted unto me
      to partake of the mystery of knowledge, and I became a Light in
      Light.

      From the Unbegotten One, the Begotten one came into being. The birth
      of the Self-Begotten One is through Him-Who-Is, the birth of all
      begotten things that exist. Illumined and illuminating is the whole
      Place where in dwells Pronoia, the Thought of Light, from whom poured
      forth the living waters out of the living fountains of light, hidden
      within radiant waters, who gradually put forth the All by a Thought,
      who is laden with the Voice; through whom Gnosis comes forth,
      inviting souls into the exalted, perfect Light. For He discloses
      mysteries to those [who are worthy] of [His] mysteries and reveals
      the everlasting things, and all the unknowns become known, and those
      things difficult to interpet and secret, he reveals.
      And as for those who dwell in Silence with the First Thought, he
      preaches to them. And he reveals himself to those who dwell in
      darkness, and he shows himself to those who dwell in the abyss, and
      to those who dwell in the hidden treasuries, he tells ineffable
      mysteries, and he teaches unrepeatable doctrines to all those who
      become Sons of the Light.

      1. 'The light has become a crown on my head and I will not be (left)
      without it, so that the emanations of the Authades do not steal it
      from me.
      2. And even if all the materials move, I however will not move.
      3. And even if all my materials are destroyed and remain in the
      Chaos - these which the emanations of the Authades see - I however
      will not be destroyed.
      4. For the light is with me, and I myself am with the light.
      3. For it is not like a withered crown which does not sprout; but
      thou livest upon my head and thou dost sprout upon me. '
      Let there be light, let there be light! Let there be the light of the
      light of the aeons of light, Truth and incorruptibility of the
      luminous Epinoia appeared, which came forth from the aeons of
      light.
      It descended and came to dwell within Adam, and that man
      became a living soul. 'The Light has become a crown on my head, Him-
      Who-Is is upon my head like a crown and I shall not be without him.
      Youel plaited for me the true crown , Esephech caused thy branches to
      sprout in me. For it is not like a withered crown which does not
      sprout; but thou livest upon my head and thou dost sprout upon me.
      Thy fruits are full and ripe, filled with thy salvation'. Within the
      Epinoia is the throne, and surrounding the Epinoia are glories and
      incorruptions. And in the heavens and on the earth, and under the
      earth, [silence, bliss, and glory prevail.]
    • incognito_lightbringer
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 8, 2003
        Can you give a source for this? I enjoyed reading it and wondered
        where you got it from. You titled it "Sethian Gnostic Baptism" but it
        seemed like a composite of several gnostic texts. It paraphrases
        parts of several Nag Hammadi codices such as Origin of the World and
        The Second Apocalypse of James and the Sophia of Jesus Christ and so
        on (I included these below). It was also similar to parts of Pistis
        Sophia. There's probably more but those are the ones I recognized.

        <<For he is immortal and eternal. Now he is eternal, having no birth;
        for everyone who has birth will perish. He is unbegotten, having no
        beginning; for everyone who has a beginning has an end. Since no one
        rules over him, he has no name; for whoever has a name is the
        creation of another." >> Sophia of Jesus Christ

        <<"And he kissed my mouth. He took hold of me, saying, "My beloved!
        Behold, I shall reveal to you those things that (neither) the heavens
        nor their archons have known. Behold, I shall reveal to you those
        things that he did not know, he who boasted, "[...] there is no other
        except me. Am I not alive? Because I am a father, do I not have power
        for everything?" Behold, I shall reveal to you everything, my
        beloved. Understand and know them, that you may come forth just as I
        am. Behold, I shall reveal to you him who is hidden. But now, stretch
        out your hand. Now, take hold of me." And then I stretched out my
        hands and I did not find him as I thought (he would be). But
        afterward I heard him saying, "Understand and take hold of me." Then
        I understood, and I was afraid. And I was exceedingly joyful>>
        Second Apocalypse of James

        <<How well it suits all men, on the subject of chaos, to say that it
        is a kind of darkness! But in fact it comes from a shadow, which has
        been called by the name 'darkness'. And the shadow comes from a
        product that has existed since the beginning. It is, moreover, clear
        that it existed before chaos came into being, and that the latter is
        posterior to the first product......Then shadow perceived there was
        something mightier than it, and felt envy; and when it had become
        pregnant of its own accord, suddenly it engendered jealousy. Since
        that day, the principle of jealousy amongst all the eternal realms
        and their worlds has been apparent. Now as for that jealousy, it was
        found to be an abortion without any spirit in it. Like a shadow, it
        came into existence in a vast watery substance. Then the bile that
        had come into being out of the shadow was thrown into a part of
        chaos. Since that day, a watery substance has been apparent. And what
        sank within it flowed away, being visible in chaos: as with a woman
        giving birth to a child - all her superfluities flow out; just so,
        matter came into being out of shadow, and was projected apart. And it
        did not depart from chaos; rather, matter was in chaos, being in a
        part of it....Now as for the ruler Yaltabaoth, he is ignorant of the
        force of Pistis: he did not see her face, rather he saw in the water
        the likeness that spoke with him. And because of that voice, he
        called himself 'Yaldabaoth'. But 'Ariael' is what the perfect call
        him, for he was like a lion. >> On the Origin of the World

        <<And I delivered him to those who give robes - Yammon, Elasso,
        Amenai - and they covered him with a robe from the robes of the
        Light; and I delivered him to the baptizers, and they baptized him -
        Micheus, Michar, Mnesinous - and they immersed him in the spring of
        the Water of Life. And I delivered him to those who enthrone -
        Bariel, Nouthan, Sabenai - and they enthroned him from the Throne of
        Glory. And I delivered him to those who glorify - Ariom, Elien,
        Phariel - and they glorified him with the glory of the Fatherhood.
        And those who snatch away snatched away - Kamaliel, [...]anen,
        Samblo, and the servants of <the> great holy luminaries - and they
        took him into the light-place of his Fatherhood. And he received the
        Five seals from the Light of the Mother, Protennoia, and it was
        granted him to partake of the mystery of knowledge, and he became a
        Light in Light. >> Trimorphic Protennoia

        <<Father of All, Ennoia of the Light, dwelling in the heights above
        the (regions) below, Light dwelling in the heights, Voice of Truth,
        upright Nous, untouchable Logos, and ineffable Voice,
        incomprehensible Father! >>
        Thought of Norea

        <<The holy book of the Egyptians about the great invisible Spirit,
        the Father whose name cannot be uttered, he who came forth from the
        heights of the perfection, the light of the light of the aeons of
        light, the light of the silence of the providence <and> the Father of
        the silence, the light of the word and the truth, the light of the
        incorruptions, the infinite light, the radiance from the aeons of
        light of the unrevealable, unmarked, ageless, unproclaimable Father,
        the aeon of the aeons, Autogenes, self-begotten, self-producing,
        alien, the really true aeon.
        ..........Then providence came forth from silence, and the living
        silence of the Spirit, and the Word of the Father, and a light. She
        [...] the five seals which the Father brought forth from his bosom,
        and she passed through all the aeons which I mentioned before. And
        she established thrones of glory, and myriads of angels without
        number who surrounded them, powers and incorruptible glories, who
        sing and give glory, all giving praise with a single voice, with one
        accord, with one never-silent voice, [...] to the Father, and the
        Mother, and the Son [...], and all the pleromas that I mentioned
        before, who is the great Christ, who is from silence, who is the
        incorruptible child Telmael Telmachael Eli Eli Machar Machar Seth,
        the power which really truly lives, and the male virgin who is with
        him, Youel, and Esephech, the holder of glory, the child of the
        child, and the crown of his glory, [...] of the five seals, the
        pleroma that I mentioned before. >> Gospel of the Egyptians

        Also, Chapter 32 of Pistis Sophia
        <<The Pistis Sophia cried out very much. She cried out to the Light
        of Lights which she had seen from the beginning, in which she had
        believed, and she said this repentance, speaking thus :

        1. 'O Light of Lights, in whom I have believed from the beginning,
        hear my repentance now at this time, O Light; save me, O Light, for
        wicked thoughts have entered into me.

        2. I looked, O Light, to the parts below. I saw a light in that
        place, and I thought : I will go to that place to receive that light.
        And I went, and I came to be in the darkness which is in the Chaos
        below. And I was not able to proceed out to go to my place, because I
        was oppressed among all the emanations of the Authades. And the lion-
        faced power took away my inner light.

        3. And I cried out for help, and my voice did not penetrate the
        darkness. And I looked to the height, so that the Light in which I
        had believed might help me.

        4. And when I looked to the height, I saw all the archons of the
        aeons , that they were numerous and they looked down upon me,
        rejoicing over me, although I had done nothing evil to them, but they
        had hated me without cause.

        And when the emanations of the Authades saw the archons of the aeons
        rejoicing over me, they knew that the archons of the aeons would not
        help me. And those emanations which oppressed me without cause were
        encouraged. And they took from me the light which I did not take from
        them. 5. Now at this time, O true Light, thou knowest that I have
        done these things in my simplicity, thinking that the lion-faced
        light belonged to thee, and the sin which I have committed is
        manifest in thy presence.

        6. Do not now let me be lacking, O Lord, for I have believed in thy
        light from the beginning, O Lord, Light of the powers, do not let me
        now lack my light.

        7. For on account of thee and thy light I have come to be in this
        oppression, and shame has covered me.

        8. And because of the delusion of thy light, I have become a stranger
        to my brothers, the invisible ones, and also to the great emanations
        of the Barbelo.

        9. These things happened to me, O Light, because I was eager for thy
        dwelling-place. And the anger of the Authades came down upon me -
        this one who did not obey thy command to emanate from the emanation
        of his power - because I was in his aeon and not performing his
        mystery.

        10. And all the archons of the aeons mocked me.

        11. And I was in that place, sorrowing and seeking the light which I
        had seen in the height.

        12. And the watchers of the gates of the aeons were seeking me, and
        all those who continued in their mystery mocked me. 13. But I looked
        up to the height to thee, O Light. And I believed in thee. Now at
        this time, O Light of Lights, I am oppressed in the darkness of the
        Chaos. If now thou dost wish to come to save me - great is thy
        compassion - hear me truly and save me.

        14. Save me out of the matter of this darkness, so that I shall not
        be immersed in it, and that I shall be saved from the emanations of
        the deity, Authades, which oppress me, and from their evils.

        15. Do not allow this darkness to immerse me, and do not allow this
        lion-faced power to swallow up all my power completely. And do not
        allow this Chaos to cover over my power.

        16. Hear me O Light, for thy mercy is precious, and look down upon
        me, according to the great compassion of thy light.

        17. Do not turn away thy face from me, for I am greatly afflicted.

        18. Hear me quickly and save my power.

        19. Save me, on account of the archons which hate me, for thou
        knowest my affliction and my torment, and the torment of my power
        which they have taken from me.

        Those who have put me into all these evils are in thy presence. Deal
        with them according to thy will.

        20. My power looked forth from the midst of the Chaos, and from the
        midst of the darkness. I looked for my partner, that he should come
        and fight for me, and he did not come. And I looked that he should
        come and give power to me, and I did not find him.

        21. And when I sought for light, I was given darkness.

        And when I sought for my power, I was given matter .

        22. Now at this time, O Light of Lights, let the darkness and the
        matter which the emanations of the Authades have brought upon me
        become a snare for them, and let them be ensnared therein. And do
        thou repay them and bring disgrace upon them, so that they do not
        come to the place of their Authades.

        23. Let them remain in darkness and not see the light.

        Let them look at the Chaos at all times, and do not let them look at
        the height.

        24. Bring down upon them their vengeance, and let thy judgment seize
        them.

        25. Do not let them go to their place from this time, to their deity,
        Authades. And do not let his emanations go to their places from this
        time. Because their god is impious and insolent, because he thought
        that he had done these wicked things of himself, not knowing that,
        unless I was humbled according to thy ordinance, he would have had no
        power over me.

        26. But when thou didst humble me, according to thy ordinance, I was
        persecuted the more. And their emanations inflicted torments upon my
        humiliation. 27. And they took a light-power from me. And furthermore
        they began to torment me greatly , in order to take away all the
        light that was in me. On account of these things into which I was
        put, do not let them go up to the thirteenth aeon, the place of
        righteousness.

        28. And do not let them be numbered within the portion of those who
        purify themselves and their light. And do not let them be numbered
        among those who will repent quickly, so that they will quickly
        receive mysteries in the light.

        29. For they have taken my light from me. And my power has begun to
        decrease within me. And I lack my light.

        30. Now at this time, O Light which art in thee and with me, I sing
        praises to thy name, O Light, in glory.

        31. And may my song of praise, O Light, please thee, like an
        excellent mystery which is received into the gates of light, which
        those who will repent, will recite, and whose light they will purify.

        32. Now at this time, let all material things rejoice; seek the
        light, all of you, so that the power of your souls, which is within
        you, may live.

        33. Because the Light has heard the material things, and it will not
        leave any material things which it has not purified.

        34. Let the souls and the material things bless the Lord of all the
        aeons ; the material things and all things in them. 35. For God will
        save their souls out of all matter, and a city will be prepared in
        the light; and all souls which will be saved will dwell in that city,
        and they will inherit it.

        36. And the soul of those who will receive mysteries will be in that
        place, and they who have received mysteries in his name will be
        within it'." .

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2003
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, incognito_lightbringer
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Can you give a source for this? I enjoyed reading it and wondered
          > where you got it from. You titled it "Sethian Gnostic Baptism" but
          it
          > seemed like a composite of several gnostic texts. It paraphrases
          > parts of several Nag Hammadi codices such as Origin of the World
          and
          > The Second Apocalypse of James and the Sophia of Jesus Christ and
          so
          > on (I included these below). It was also similar to parts of Pistis
          > Sophia. There's probably more but those are the ones I recognized.

          Well hello there, Incognito. I wondered where you'd disappeared to.

          As for the seemingly paraphrased post, I think your instincts and
          research are probably right on target. Whenever something like that
          is posted, with neither contextual commentary nor attribution of
          authorship, it's unlikely that you'll ever see a demonstration of its
          provenance from classical sources.

          Considering the subject of this piece in particular, I'm reminded of
          similar ones I've seen dumped at other sites which lead me to believe
          someone is interested in propagating an air of authenticity for their
          own "Sethian Gnostic…" compositions. When such a thing is posted
          here and there, forwarded elsewhere and inevitably referred back to,
          I suppose it eventually gets around to the point that the
          unquestioning take it as genuine. If that assessment is inaccurate,
          I'd love to see someone take responsibility for these works.

          BTW, I finally got around to taping _Vanilla Sky_ a few nights ago,
          but have been holding off on watching it 'til this weekend——Am hoping
          to have my eyes opened!

          Gerry

          P.S. I've been sitting here for a while doing my own sleuthing over
          this question of yours, and now I see you've posted another
          specifically for me. Let me get back to you on that one——Breakfast
          is calling!

          Ger
        • enos benset
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2003

            The former post "Sethian Gnostic Baptism" is a fiction and a quasi-paraphrase of the Mandaean "Book of Souls," which can be found in English and Mandaic in E.S. Drower's "Canonical Prayerbook of the Mandaeans." The paraphrasing is performed by looking up key words in the Mandaean liturgy in a Biblical concordance and on a computer word file of the Nag Hammaddi Codexes, Pistis Sophia, other Gnostic and apocryphal Christian-Jewish texts of antiquity. The phrases of these texts that most resemble the language of the Mandaean liturgy are cut from the texts and modified in their refference points and in ways that would make the fictional text proper in its grammer and syntax. Also, much of the texts were chosen because of their similar themes to that of the Mandaean even though the names of divine beings are of a different system which are Sethian rather than Mandaic.

            The point of this fiction is that it could have some truth since the Sethian Gnostics certainly come from the same religious genre as the Mandaeans from the ancient semetic baptismal sects of the Jordan Valley around the time of Jesus and John the baptist. For instance, there are the sects that the Heresiologist Church fathers speak of as Mazbutwas, Sampseans, Ossenes, Ebionites, Elchasaites etc. There can be observered a similar structure and shared use of much language between the Eucharists and Baptismal liturgies of the various Orthodox and Catholic churches. So it is plausible that the same could be the case with the ist Century A.D Baptismal sects of Palistine from which the Sethians and Mandaeans both derive their legacy. Unfortunately, the Mandaeans are the only sect left that has a Baptismal formula preservered from that particular genre.

            CHAPTER 2.

            Illumined and illuminating is Zihrun, the great Mystery of radiance, light and glory,
            from whom Manda-d-Hiia emanated and was
            divulged, and from whose very Self noble sons of the mighty and sublime Life
            proceeded. He created 'uthras at his right and his
            left and installed them in their own shkintas, And they gave out light and were
            effulgent in their own raiment and gloried in the
            knowledge that their Father had transplanted them from the House of Life. And it is
            incumbent on a pupil to honour his Master
            like his parents, (so) the 'uthras rose on (their ?) thrones of radiance, light and
            glory and took off the crowns on their heads and
            placed them on the thrones of radiance, light and glory, saying, "A teacher is
            superior to parents! Rise, our Father, in praise, and
            lay on me Thy hand of truth and Thy great right hand of healings!" And Life be
            praised!

            [This prayer is the opening prayer of "In the name of that First Being"]

            My Lord be praised!

            In the name of the Great First Other-Worldly Life! From far-off worlds of light that
            are above all works may there be healing,
            victory, soundness, speech and a hearing, joy of heart and forgiving of sins for me,
            Adam-Yuhana son of Mahnus through the
            strength of Yawar-Ziwa and Simat-Hiia!

            CHAPTER 1.

            In the name of the Life and in the name of Knowledge-of-Life (Manda-d-Hiia) and
            in the name of that Primal Being who was
            Eldest and preceded water, radiance, light and glory, the Being who cried with His
            voice and uttered words. By means of His
            voice and His words Vines grew and came into being, and the First Life was
            established in its Abode.

            And He spoke and said, "The First Life is anterior to the Second Life by six
            thousand myriad years and the Second Life anterior
            to the Third Life by six thousand myriad years and the Third Life more ancient than
            any 'uthra by six thousand myriad years.
            And any 'uthra is older than the whole earth and older than the Seven Lords of the
            House by seven hundred and seventy
            thousand myriad years. There is that which is infinite.

            At that time there was no solid earth and no inhabitants in the black waters. From
            them, from those black waters, Evil was
            formed and emerged, One from whom a thousand thousand mysteries proceeded
            and a myriad myriad planets with their own
            mysteries.

            The Seven were wroth with me, were outraged and said, "The man who set out and
            came towards us hath not bound a circlet
            about his head!" Then I turned my face toward my Creator who created me, the
            celestial Lord of Greatness, and I said to Him, "O
            my Creator who created me, (O) Lord of lofty Greatness! As I went (my ways) the
            Seven were wroth with me and said, 'The
            man who went and came towards us hath not bound a circlet about his head!'."

            Then that Lord of Lofty Greatness took a circlet of radiance, light and glory and set
            it on my head; He laid on me His hand of
            Truth and His great right hand of healings and said to me, "Upon thee shall rest
            something of the likeness of Sam-Gufna and of
            Sam-Gufaian and of Sam-Pira-Hiwara, whose radiance gleams and whose
            appearance beams, for they are holy and believing
            beings in the Place of Light and in the everlasting Abode."

            And Manda-d-Hiia, the valorous 'uthra, taught, revealed and said "Every Nasoraean
            man who is righteous and believing, on
            arising from sleep, must take a white turban symbolising the great mystery of
            radiance, fight and glory and shall recite this prayer
            thereon. And he shall twist it round his head and repeat the prayer secretly. It will
            be his praise in the house of the great Celestial
            Father. And all persons who behold him will be subdued in his presence: any
            persecutor, or one who inciteth to wrath, will stand
            before him in fear, terror and trembling, (their knees) knocking together. And for
            me, Adam-Yuhana son of Mahnus, who have
            prayed this prayer and (these) devotions, there will be forgiving of sins and I shall
            be pure in all my words. And Life is victorious.
            [This is the prayer of the turban].
            CHAPTER 3.

            In the name of the Life!

            Life created Yawar-Ziwa, son of Light-of-Life, Hamgai-Ziwa son of Hamgagai-Ziwa.
            Illumined and illuminating is the Great
            Mystery of Radiance, Zihrun, a Crown of radiance, light and glory from whom a flow
            of living water streamed out to the
            shkintas. For he is the revealer (lit. opener) of radiance and light and displayeth
            his treasure which emanated from him, to eager
            'uthras. All worlds adore and praise the mighty First Life in its Indwellings, and Life
            is victorious.

            [This is the prayer of the turban]

            CHAPTER 5.

            In the name of the Great Life!

            Let there be light, let there be light! Let there be the light of the Great First Life!
            There shone forth wisdom, vigilance and praise
            of the First Mana which came from its place. He who twineth the wreath is
            Yufin-Yufafin: the bringer of the wreath is
            'It-'Nsibat-'utria. 'It-Yawar son of 'Nsibat-'utria set on the wreath. He brought it and
            placed it upon the head of the implanted
            mana which was transplanted from guarded (?) manas. The wreath flames and the
            leaves of the wreath flame! Before the Mana
            there is light, behind the Mana glory, and at either side of the Mana radiance,
            brilliance and purity. And at the four corners of the
            House and the seven sides of the firmanent silence, bliss and glory prevail (lit. are
            found). And Life be praised!

            [This is the prayer for the turban. Read it and set it on thy head.]

            CHAPTER 19.

            Manda created me, 'uthras set me up, radiance clothed me and light covered me:
            Haza-zban set the wreath on my head, mine,
            Adam-Yuhana , son of Mahnush, and on these souls who descend to the jordan
            and are baptised. Its tendrils shine and its
            perfume is sweet, for they (the tendrils) wither not nor do they come apart, and its
            leaves do not fall off.

            And Life be praised! [This is the set prayer for the baptism wreath. Recite it over
            the myrtle-wreath and place it on the heads of the souls that thou baptisest].

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • enos benset

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2003

                Reply to post #7262 by Enos Benset:

                Ahhh, thank you for that, Enos.  That wasn’t so hard, was it?!  ;-)  For those wishing to pursue their own investigation, that additional information is surely more constructive than just dropping off an apparent scriptural quotation without so much as a “hello” or “how are you,” not to mention some sort of citation.

                As we’ve really only had minimal discussion of Mandaeans here, did you find any startling revelations in Drower’s work?  Just wondering to what extent you’d recommend it to others.

                Gerry

              • enos benset
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 11, 2003

                  As for the Mandaean tradition, the reciting of the English stanza transelated from Mandaic have, when done properly, been followed by an experience of the Sublime alternative to sleep paralysis, a sort of lucid dream with the voices of an angel or uthra, sublime being.

                  The trick is to start with the most alienating sort of stanza about lonelyness, isolation, homesickness, dying ect. It's a sort of verbal aceticism; raising up feelings of alienation.

                  Then, once there is the self-realization that one does not belong to the cosmos with all its suffering and indifference, one can reach out and petition the source of one's own being in spirit. One must call for an answer from the source.

                  In the Name of the first great Life, from worlds of Light; the Sublime One that stands above all works.
                  I am a Mana of the great Life, a Mana of the Mighty Life am I. A Mana I am of the great Life: who has made me to live in the terrestrial world.
                  In the tibil (dust?) who has made me to dwell, who has cast me into the bodily trunk? Who has cast me into the stump which has no hands nor feet? It has no hands nor feet, and knows not how it should walk.It lies there and crawls, and has no strength.
                  Why did they call me from my place and bring me hither and cast me into the stump?
                  A Mana am I of the great Life; who has throm me into the suffering worlds? Who has transported me to the evil darkness?
                  So long I endure and dwell in the world, so long I dwell among the works of my hands.
                  Grief and war I suffer in the body garment into which they transported and cast me. How often must I put it off; How often must I put it on; must ever again settle my strife and not behold Life in Its Highest Habitation: aworld of light without darkness, a world of mildness without rebellion, a world of righteousness without decay and death, a world of goodness without evil.
                  O How shall I rejoice then who am now afflicted and afraid in the dwelling of the evil ones? O How shall my heart rejoice outside the works which I have made in this world?
                  How long shall I wonder and how long sink within all the worlds?.....
                  A Vine am I, a lonely one that stands in the world. I have no sublime planter, no keeper, no mild helper to come and instruct me about everything.
                  The seven opress me; the twelve became my persecution.
                  The First Life has forgotten me; the second does not inquire after me.
                  My eyes which were opened from the Place of Light, now belong to the stump. My heart which longs for the Life came here and was made part of the stump.
                  My mind, a treasure in which the Life resides, has been housed here in bodily clothes.
                  My feet were planted by chosen planters. Now they must wonder the path of the stump.
                  It is the path of the stump. The seven will not let me go my own way.
                  How must I obey?
                  How must I endure?
                  How must I quite my mind?....
                  How must I hear the seven and the twelve mysteries?....
                  How must I groan?
                  How must my mild Paren't word dwell among the creatures of the dark?

                  ALIEN CONCEPT IN GNOSTICISM

                  The alien is that which stems from elsewhere and does not belong here. To those who do belong here it is thus the strange, the unfamiliar and incomprehensible; but their world on its part is just as incomprehensible to the alien that comes to dwell here, and like a foreign land where it is far from home. Then it suffers the lot of the stranger who is lonely, unprotected, uncomprehended, and uncomprehending in a situation full of danger. Anguish and homesickness are a part of the stranger�s lot. The stranger who does not know the ways of the foreign land wanders about lost; if he learns its ways too well, he forgets that he is a stranger and gets lost in a different sense by succumbing to the lure of the alien world and becoming estranged from his own origin. Then he has become a "son of the house." This too is part of the alien�s fate. In his alienation from himself the distress has gone, but this very fact is the culmination of the stranger�s tragedy. The recollection of his own alieness, the recognition of his place of exile for what it is, is the first step back; the awakened home sickness is the beginning of the return. All this belongs to the "suffering" side of alienness. Yet with relation to its origin it is at the same time a mark of excellence, a source of power and of a secret life unknown to the environment and in the last resort impregnable to it, as it is incomprehensible to the creatures of this world. This superiority of the alien, which distinguishes it even here, though secretly, is its manifest glory in its own native realm, which is outside this world. In such position the alien is the remote, the inaccessible, and its strangeness means majesty. Thus the alien taken absolutely is the wholly transcendent, the "beyond" and an eminent attribute of God.
                  ------ Hans Jonas "The Gnostic Religion"

                   Gerry <gerryhsp@...> wrote:

                  Reply to post #7262 by Enos Benset:

                  Ahhh, thank you for that, Enos.  That wasn�t so hard, was it?!  ;-)  For those wishing to pursue their own investigation, that additional information is surely more constructive than just dropping off an apparent scriptural quotation without so much as a �hello� or �how are you,� not to mention some sort of citation.

                  As we�ve really only had minimal discussion of Mandaeans here, did you find any startling revelations in Drower�s work?  Just wondering to what extent you�d recommend it to others.

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • ernststrohregenmantelrad
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 12, 2003
                    IMHO, I don't think Mandeanas are Gnostics in the present guise.

                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, enos benset <enosbnst@y...>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2003
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > IMHO, I don't think Mandeanas are Gnostics in the present guise.

                      Ernst, would you care to expand on this statement?

                      Cari
                    • incognito_lightbringer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 21, 2003
                        Hi Gerry, I've been busy.
                        Did you manage to rent The Saragossa Manuscript?
                        And try to find "No Such Thing" out on video/DVD late last year.
                        Also, can't remember if I mentioned Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
                        We've to do a gnostic music post sometime. We can start with David
                        Bowie and Ziggy Stardust.
                        One of these days I've got to compose my own Gnostic composition and
                        put it out there without attribution, just to see if it rocks any
                        boats ;)