The Beginning of Lent

  • The Most Rev. Dr. +James Foster
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2003
      Dear Children of Light;

      The first Christians observed with great devotion the days of our
      Lord's passion and resurrection, and it became the custom of the
      Church to prepare for them by a season of penitence and fasting. This
      season of Lent provided a time in which converts to the faith were
      prepared for Holy Baptism. It was also a time when those who,
      because of notorious sins, had been separated from the body of the
      faithful were reconciled by penitence and forgiveness, and restored
      to the fellowship of the Church. Thereby, the whole congregation was
      put in mind of the message of pardon and absolution set forth in the
      Gospel of our Savior, and of the need which all Christians
      continually have to renew their repentance and faith.

      I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Holy Gnosis, to the
      observance of a holy Lent, by self examination and by prayer,
      fasting, and self denial; by reading and meditating on God's holy
      Word.

      Almighty God, you have created us out of the dust of the earth: Grant
      that the ashes imposed today may be to us a sign of our mortality and
      penitence, that we may remember that it is only by your gracious gift
      of the Holy Sacred Flame that we are able to achieve the Gnosis;
      through Jesus Christ our Savior. Amen.

      Remember that our forms are dust, and to dust they shall return.

      +J