Re: Welcome new members

  • ernststrohregenmantelrad
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 5 2:46 AM
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
      wrote:

      > Reply to Ernst's post #7119:
      >
      > >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
      vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
      "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
      Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
      geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
      "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

      > Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit
      dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet
      Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des
      Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten,
      sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
      tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
      tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
      Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

      > Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view
      such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.
      The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and
      the paradox of the simultaneous "beauty and tragedy" in our lives
      remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures
      the moment. For anyone who missed the film, this comes from
      Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty, and I think it's well
      worth the watching.

      > I'd always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes
      the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a
      second at all. It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

      > For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching
      falling stars.

      > And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.
      >

      > Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed
      like paper.

      > And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand, new Firebird.
      >

      > And Janie--and Janie.
      >

      > And Carolyn.
      >

      > I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to
      me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the
      world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too
      much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst.

      > And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it,
      and then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything
      but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

      > You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure, but don't
      worry--you will someday.

      > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult, but
      certainly something to shoot for. ;-)

      > Gerry

      Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
    • Gerry <gerryhsp@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 5 4:43 AM
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > [...]

        > > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult,
        but
        > certainly something to shoot for. ;-)
        > >
        > > Gerry
        >

        > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.

        I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
        LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess that
        even Klaus would approve of the last line.

        Gerry
      • blackfire_al <blackfire_al@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 5 1:01 PM
          For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
          to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning of Life".

          Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
          and revolving at 900 miles an hour,
          It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
          the sun that is the source of all our power.
          The Sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
          are moving at a million miles a day,
          In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
          of the Galaxy we call the Milky Way.

          Our Galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars,
          it's 100,000 light-years side-to-side,
          It bulges in the middle, 16 000 light-years thick,
          but out by us it's just 3 000 light-years wide.
          We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point,
          we go round every 200 million years,
          And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
          in this amazing and expanding universe.

          The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
          in all of the directions it can whizz,
          As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
          twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
          So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
          how amazingly unlikely is your birth,
          Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
          because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6 1:38 AM
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "blackfire_al <
            blackfire_al@y...>" <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:
            > For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
            > to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning
            of Life".

            You must have the "Python Song Book" but do you have the script
            book of the film? Anyway, my favorate is "The Life of Brian"

            Life's a piece of shit
            When you look at it
            Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
            You'll see it's all a show,
            Keep 'em laughing as you go
            Just remember that the last laugh is on you
            And always look on the bright side of life...

            > > > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
            > >

            > > I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
            > > LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess
            that
            > > even Klaus would approve of the last line.
            > >
            > > Gerry

            Off the topic from this group but since we are talking about the
            Pythons I saw the other day "Lost in La Mancha" a documentary
            film about Terry Gilliam's attempt to make a film about Don
            Quixote. the film is the case of art imitating life and life imitating
            art . Gillium's attempt to make the film mirrored Quixote....
            impossible dream... dare to say quixotic?.