Re: Religious similarities/contrasts (Was: What is life?)

    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 4, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > So anyway, if we take the term "eastern relgion" and limit it to
      > mean religion of China, India and surrounding area we are still
      > left with many varities. Back to the original premiss that started
      > this thred. That PMCV asserting "eastern religion" is different
      > from "Gnosticism" and then Klaus rebuking that it is similar and
      > cites Mahayana Buddhaism as example (based upon the article
      > by Conze which is as I posted earlier not really definate) we are
      > still left with religion besides Mahayan Buddhaism in "eastern
      > religion" (not to mention Buddhism proper) that are different from
      > Gnosticism.
      >
      > So when PMCV used the term "eastern religion" maybe he was
      > thinking Shinto or Taoism or even Hinduism in main by when
      > Klau rebuked he was mainly thinking of Buddhaism?
      >
      > I think the trouble was due to defining the term before we assert.
      > And like the term "Gnosticism" "eastern religion" could mean
      > different thing to different people. At least what one sees as
      > prototype in our head is different. So when we hear "eastern
      > religion" does that conjure up in your head "Shinto", "Hinduism"
      > or "Buddhaism"? Like when we hear the term "bird" do we
      > conjure up in the head "robin", "crow" "eagle"? or "ostrich" and
      > "chicken"? I mean they are all bird but what does prototype in our
      > head gives us? I think for most peole it would be something like
      > "crow" or "eagle", right but not "chicken" or "osterich". So when I
      > say "I saw a bird" you will picture in your head something like
      > "robin" but not "osterich" although I could mean "osterich"
      >
      > Well, sorry for this longwinded rant and excerize in semantic but I
      > think this is important. For the form like this we must find the
      > common ground and start with definition we could agree on. And
      > trivial term such as "eastern religion" may not be so trivial.

      Whew! You sure you're done with your rant now, Ernst? LOL

      Of course you bring up a very good point(s). We could go ahead and
      determine what "eastern religion" means for the purpose of this
      discussion, or we could wait to see if PMCV is interested in this
      discussion and let him define what he meant by "eastern religion." I
      was primarily curious what PMCV meant by eastern religion being in
      some ways the "exact opposite" of Gnosticism.

      Anybody feel strongly one way or another?

      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 7, 2003
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > >--- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, klaus schilling <>
        > >pessy@c...> wrote:
        > > ernststrohregenmantelrad writes:
        > > >
        > > > I thought Sufi was a part of Islam or did I miss something?
        > >
        > > For Schopenhauer, Sufi is of vedantic origin,
        > > disguised as Islam.
        > >
        > > Klaus Schilling
        >
        > Mensch, es gibt zu viel DDHG* bei dir!
        >
        > Du hebst so oft AS in den Himmel!
        >
        > Du nimmst die Meinung Schopenhauer als die Tatsache.
        >
        > Die ist nur einer der Meinungen von der Ursprung.
        >
        > *Der Doktor hat gesagt- wird benutzt vom Anthroposoph, der
        > hebt Steiner in den Himmel. In diesen Fall machst du mit
        > Schopenhauer so wie so Anthroposoph mit Steiner.

        Say, Ernst, would you humor me and translate the gist of this post
        for the majority of members who don't speak German?

        Thanks much,