Re: Religious similarities/contrasts (Was: What is life?)

  • ernststrohregenmantelrad
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 4, 2003
      before we proceed with this let's all define what we mean by the
      term "eastern"

      Is "eastern" same as "oriental"? The term "oriental" is now
      considered to be degaratory and let's not go there. The main
      thing for the discussion is where does "orient" begins?

      For some orient begins at Asia and that includes the whole
      Middle East. In fact American Oriental Society covers the subject
      from Arabia to China. For some, IMO, the boundry lies east of
      Persia-Afganistan meaning orient begins at India.

      Let's go back to the term "eastern". Is it really same as "orient"
      What it means to say "eastern region" as compared to "oriental
      religion" ? Can one call Zoroasterism "eastern religion"? How
      about "oriental religion"? In fact if for some "orient" begins in Asia
      then can we call Christianity as "oriental religion" since it
      originated in the Middle East. But then is it same as "eastern
      religion"? No we can't.

      I think for most, the term "eastern" begins at India. So when one
      thinks of "eastern religion" one thinks on religion such as
      Hinduism, Jainism, Budhhaism and others that originated in
      India as well as religion of China such as Taoism and indigious
      religion such as Shinto. But what about Shamanism in these
      lands? Are the "eastern religion"? "Is Siberian Shamanism
      "eastern religion"?

      Anyway if we limit ourselves to "eastern religion" as something
      from India, China and the surrounding area except Shamanism
      then we are distingishing the term "eastern" in general from
      "eastern" in "eastern religion"

      So what is "eastern religion"?
      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 7, 2003
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > >--- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, klaus schilling <>
        > >pessy@c...> wrote:
        > > ernststrohregenmantelrad writes:
        > > >
        > > > I thought Sufi was a part of Islam or did I miss something?
        > >
        > > For Schopenhauer, Sufi is of vedantic origin,
        > > disguised as Islam.
        > >
        > > Klaus Schilling
        >
        > Mensch, es gibt zu viel DDHG* bei dir!
        >
        > Du hebst so oft AS in den Himmel!
        >
        > Du nimmst die Meinung Schopenhauer als die Tatsache.
        >
        > Die ist nur einer der Meinungen von der Ursprung.
        >
        > *Der Doktor hat gesagt- wird benutzt vom Anthroposoph, der
        > hebt Steiner in den Himmel. In diesen Fall machst du mit
        > Schopenhauer so wie so Anthroposoph mit Steiner.

        Say, Ernst, would you humor me and translate the gist of this post
        for the majority of members who don't speak German?

        Thanks much,