Re: Welcome new members

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003

      Reply to Ernst’s post #7119:

      >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls, vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

        Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

      Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.  The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and the paradox of the simultaneous “beauty and tragedy” in our lives remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures the moment.  For anyone who missed the film, this comes from Kevin Spacey’s character in American Beauty, and I think it’s well worth the watching.

      I’d always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die.  First of all, that one second isn’t a second at all.  It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

      For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars.

      And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.

      Or my grandmother’s hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper.

      And the first time I saw my cousin Tony’s brand, new Firebird.

      And Janie——and Janie.

      And Carolyn.

      I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world.  Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much.  My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst.

      And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it, and then it flows through me like rain.  And I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

      You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure, but don’t worry——you will someday.

      “Relax...,” huh—I know from experience that it can be difficult, but certainly something to shoot for.  ;-)

      Gerry

    • ernststrohregenmantelrad
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
        --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
        wrote:

        > Reply to Ernst's post #7119:
        >
        > >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
        vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
        "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
        Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
        geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
        "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

        > Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit
        dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet
        Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des
        Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten,
        sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
        tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
        tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
        Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

        > Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view
        such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.
        The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and
        the paradox of the simultaneous "beauty and tragedy" in our lives
        remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures
        the moment. For anyone who missed the film, this comes from
        Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty, and I think it's well
        worth the watching.

        > I'd always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes
        the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a
        second at all. It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

        > For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching
        falling stars.

        > And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.
        >

        > Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed
        like paper.

        > And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand, new Firebird.
        >

        > And Janie--and Janie.
        >

        > And Carolyn.
        >

        > I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to
        me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the
        world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too
        much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst.

        > And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it,
        and then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything
        but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

        > You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure, but don't
        worry--you will someday.

        > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult, but
        certainly something to shoot for. ;-)

        > Gerry

        Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
      • Gerry <gerryhsp@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > [...]

          > > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult,
          but
          > certainly something to shoot for. ;-)
          > >
          > > Gerry
          >

          > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.

          I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
          LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess that
          even Klaus would approve of the last line.

          Gerry
        • blackfire_al <blackfire_al@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
            For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
            to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning of Life".

            Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
            and revolving at 900 miles an hour,
            It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
            the sun that is the source of all our power.
            The Sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
            are moving at a million miles a day,
            In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
            of the Galaxy we call the Milky Way.

            Our Galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars,
            it's 100,000 light-years side-to-side,
            It bulges in the middle, 16 000 light-years thick,
            but out by us it's just 3 000 light-years wide.
            We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point,
            we go round every 200 million years,
            And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
            in this amazing and expanding universe.

            The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
            in all of the directions it can whizz,
            As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
            twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
            So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
            how amazingly unlikely is your birth,
            Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
            because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "blackfire_al <
              blackfire_al@y...>" <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:
              > For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
              > to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning
              of Life".

              You must have the "Python Song Book" but do you have the script
              book of the film? Anyway, my favorate is "The Life of Brian"

              Life's a piece of shit
              When you look at it
              Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
              You'll see it's all a show,
              Keep 'em laughing as you go
              Just remember that the last laugh is on you
              And always look on the bright side of life...

              > > > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
              > >

              > > I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
              > > LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess
              that
              > > even Klaus would approve of the last line.
              > >
              > > Gerry

              Off the topic from this group but since we are talking about the
              Pythons I saw the other day "Lost in La Mancha" a documentary
              film about Terry Gilliam's attempt to make a film about Don
              Quixote. the film is the case of art imitating life and life imitating
              art . Gillium's attempt to make the film mirrored Quixote....
              impossible dream... dare to say quixotic?.