Re: Welcome new members

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2, 2003
      > Hello blackfire_al
      >
      > On 01-Feb-03, you wrote:
      >

      > > Lady Caritas,
      > >
      > > I E-ed Tracey and she says she did not unsubscribe. She went to
      > > answer Klaus's post and she was unable to get through with her
      post
      > > and somehow got unsubscribed accidentally. Computer glitch, I
      guess.

      > > Blackfire
      >
      > I finally managed to sign into Yahoo groups today after upgrading my
      > SSL, it is finikey anyway, so her story is quite believable. Hope
      > she re-subscribes soon.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

      Thank you, Blackfire, for your follow-up. I join Mike in hoping
      Tracey will re-subscribe.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2003
        > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.
        > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
        > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
        > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.

        BTW, one very important similarity between Gnosticism and Mahayana is
        that of a central role in compassion. You know... "agape". You can
        decry the world all you wish Klaus, but without Agape it means
        nothing.

        Do you think your answer was compassionate Klaus? There are times for
        heartless acadeics (and even tactless criticism) there are also times
        when your dogma must take a back seat to the human element.

        PMCV
      • ernststrohregenmantelrad
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, klaus schilling <
          pessy@c...> wrote:
          > Tracey writes:
          > >
          > > NEWS FLASH- The shuttle is breaking apart coming back!!!!
          >
          > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.
          > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
          > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
          > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.
          >
          > Klaus Schilling

          Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
          vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
          "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
          Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
          geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
          "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

          Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem
          Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles
          Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges
          als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah.
          Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
          tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
          tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
          Universum hat doch ein Riß."
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003

            Reply to Ernst’s post #7119:

            >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls, vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

              Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

            Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.  The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and the paradox of the simultaneous “beauty and tragedy” in our lives remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures the moment.  For anyone who missed the film, this comes from Kevin Spacey’s character in American Beauty, and I think it’s well worth the watching.

            I’d always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die.  First of all, that one second isn’t a second at all.  It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

            For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars.

            And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.

            Or my grandmother’s hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper.

            And the first time I saw my cousin Tony’s brand, new Firebird.

            And Janie——and Janie.

            And Carolyn.

            I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world.  Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much.  My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst.

            And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it, and then it flows through me like rain.  And I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

            You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure, but don’t worry——you will someday.

            “Relax...,” huh—I know from experience that it can be difficult, but certainly something to shoot for.  ;-)

            Gerry

          • ernststrohregenmantelrad
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
              --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
              wrote:

              > Reply to Ernst's post #7119:
              >
              > >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
              vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
              "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
              Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
              geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
              "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

              > Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit
              dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet
              Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des
              Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten,
              sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
              tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
              tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
              Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

              > Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view
              such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.
              The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and
              the paradox of the simultaneous "beauty and tragedy" in our lives
              remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures
              the moment. For anyone who missed the film, this comes from
              Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty, and I think it's well
              worth the watching.

              > I'd always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes
              the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a
              second at all. It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

              > For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching
              falling stars.

              > And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.
              >

              > Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed
              like paper.

              > And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand, new Firebird.
              >

              > And Janie--and Janie.
              >

              > And Carolyn.
              >

              > I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to
              me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the
              world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too
              much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst.

              > And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it,
              and then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything
              but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

              > You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure, but don't
              worry--you will someday.

              > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult, but
              certainly something to shoot for. ;-)

              > Gerry

              Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
            • Gerry <gerryhsp@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > [...]

                > > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult,
                but
                > certainly something to shoot for. ;-)
                > >
                > > Gerry
                >

                > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.

                I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
                LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess that
                even Klaus would approve of the last line.

                Gerry
              • blackfire_al <blackfire_al@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                  For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
                  to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning of Life".

                  Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
                  and revolving at 900 miles an hour,
                  It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
                  the sun that is the source of all our power.
                  The Sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
                  are moving at a million miles a day,
                  In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
                  of the Galaxy we call the Milky Way.

                  Our Galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars,
                  it's 100,000 light-years side-to-side,
                  It bulges in the middle, 16 000 light-years thick,
                  but out by us it's just 3 000 light-years wide.
                  We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point,
                  we go round every 200 million years,
                  And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
                  in this amazing and expanding universe.

                  The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
                  in all of the directions it can whizz,
                  As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
                  twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
                  So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
                  how amazingly unlikely is your birth,
                  Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
                  because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003
                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "blackfire_al <
                    blackfire_al@y...>" <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:
                    > For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
                    > to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning
                    of Life".

                    You must have the "Python Song Book" but do you have the script
                    book of the film? Anyway, my favorate is "The Life of Brian"

                    Life's a piece of shit
                    When you look at it
                    Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
                    You'll see it's all a show,
                    Keep 'em laughing as you go
                    Just remember that the last laugh is on you
                    And always look on the bright side of life...

                    > > > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
                    > >

                    > > I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
                    > > LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess
                    that
                    > > even Klaus would approve of the last line.
                    > >
                    > > Gerry

                    Off the topic from this group but since we are talking about the
                    Pythons I saw the other day "Lost in La Mancha" a documentary
                    film about Terry Gilliam's attempt to make a film about Don
                    Quixote. the film is the case of art imitating life and life imitating
                    art . Gillium's attempt to make the film mirrored Quixote....
                    impossible dream... dare to say quixotic?.