Re: Welcome new members

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, klaus schilling <pessy@c...>
      wrote:
      > Tracey writes:
      > >
      > > NEWS FLASH- The shuttle is breaking apart coming back!!!!
      >
      > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.

      So what, Klaus? Tracey's message was not about "spacerace hype." It
      was showing human concern for a space disaster, which has apparently
      killed all seven astronauts.

      > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
      > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
      > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.

      You may find it necessary to escape, Klaus, but as long as we are in
      human form, we operate within this world, illusion or not. And for
      those who prefer to rise above, yet function in a practical sense on
      this "plane," I would hope that compassion would be an integral part
      of a pneumatic view regardless of anyone's philosophical or lifestyle
      choices.

      "Faith receives, love gives. [No one can receive] without faith, no
      one can give without love. Thus in order to receive we believe, and
      in order to love we give. For if one gives without love, one has no
      profit from what one has given." (Gospel of Philip)

      Klaus, your "gift" of words will likely not see a reply. For
      whatever reasons, Tracey has unsubscribed.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003
        Hello blackfire_al

        On 01-Feb-03, you wrote:

        > Lady Caritas,
        >
        > I E-ed Tracey and she says she did not unsubscribe. She went to
        > answer Klaus's post and she was unable to get through with her post
        > and somehow got unsubscribed accidentally. Computer glitch, I guess.
        >
        > Blackfire

        I finally managed to sign into Yahoo groups today after upgrading my
        SSL, it is finikey anyway, so her story is quite believable. Hope
        she re-subscribes soon.

      • blackfire_al <blackfire_al@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2003
            > Hello blackfire_al
            >
            > On 01-Feb-03, you wrote:
            >

            > > Lady Caritas,
            > >
            > > I E-ed Tracey and she says she did not unsubscribe. She went to
            > > answer Klaus's post and she was unable to get through with her
            post
            > > and somehow got unsubscribed accidentally. Computer glitch, I
            guess.

            > > Blackfire
            >
            > I finally managed to sign into Yahoo groups today after upgrading my
            > SSL, it is finikey anyway, so her story is quite believable. Hope
            > she re-subscribes soon.
            >
            > Regards
            > --
            > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

            Thank you, Blackfire, for your follow-up. I join Mike in hoping
            Tracey will re-subscribe.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 2, 2003
              > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.
              > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
              > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
              > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.

              BTW, one very important similarity between Gnosticism and Mahayana is
              that of a central role in compassion. You know... "agape". You can
              decry the world all you wish Klaus, but without Agape it means
              nothing.

              Do you think your answer was compassionate Klaus? There are times for
              heartless acadeics (and even tactless criticism) there are also times
              when your dogma must take a back seat to the human element.

              PMCV
            • ernststrohregenmantelrad
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
                pessy@c...> wrote:
                > Tracey writes:
                > >
                > > NEWS FLASH- The shuttle is breaking apart coming back!!!!
                >
                > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.
                > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
                > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
                > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.
                >
                > Klaus Schilling

                Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
                vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
                "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
                Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
                geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
                "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

                Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem
                Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles
                Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges
                als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah.
                Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
                tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
                tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
                Universum hat doch ein Riß."
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003

                  Reply to Ernst’s post #7119:

                  >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls, vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

                    Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

                  Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.  The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and the paradox of the simultaneous “beauty and tragedy” in our lives remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures the moment.  For anyone who missed the film, this comes from Kevin Spacey’s character in American Beauty, and I think it’s well worth the watching.

                  I’d always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die.  First of all, that one second isn’t a second at all.  It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

                  For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars.

                  And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.

                  Or my grandmother’s hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper.

                  And the first time I saw my cousin Tony’s brand, new Firebird.

                  And Janie——and Janie.

                  And Carolyn.

                  I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world.  Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much.  My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst.

                  And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it, and then it flows through me like rain.  And I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

                  You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure, but don’t worry——you will someday.

                  “Relax...,” huh—I know from experience that it can be difficult, but certainly something to shoot for.  ;-)

                  Gerry

                • ernststrohregenmantelrad
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                    --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > Reply to Ernst's post #7119:
                    >
                    > >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
                    vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
                    "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
                    Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
                    geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
                    "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

                    > Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit
                    dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet
                    Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des
                    Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten,
                    sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
                    tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
                    tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
                    Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

                    > Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view
                    such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.
                    The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and
                    the paradox of the simultaneous "beauty and tragedy" in our lives
                    remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures
                    the moment. For anyone who missed the film, this comes from
                    Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty, and I think it's well
                    worth the watching.

                    > I'd always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes
                    the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a
                    second at all. It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

                    > For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching
                    falling stars.

                    > And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.
                    >

                    > Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed
                    like paper.

                    > And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand, new Firebird.
                    >

                    > And Janie--and Janie.
                    >

                    > And Carolyn.
                    >

                    > I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to
                    me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the
                    world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too
                    much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst.

                    > And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it,
                    and then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything
                    but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

                    > You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure, but don't
                    worry--you will someday.

                    > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult, but
                    certainly something to shoot for. ;-)

                    > Gerry

                    Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
                  • Gerry <gerryhsp@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > [...]

                      > > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult,
                      but
                      > certainly something to shoot for. ;-)
                      > >
                      > > Gerry
                      >

                      > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.

                      I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
                      LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess that
                      even Klaus would approve of the last line.

                      Gerry
                    • blackfire_al <blackfire_al@yahoo.com>
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                        For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
                        to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning of Life".

                        Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
                        and revolving at 900 miles an hour,
                        It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
                        the sun that is the source of all our power.
                        The Sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
                        are moving at a million miles a day,
                        In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
                        of the Galaxy we call the Milky Way.

                        Our Galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars,
                        it's 100,000 light-years side-to-side,
                        It bulges in the middle, 16 000 light-years thick,
                        but out by us it's just 3 000 light-years wide.
                        We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point,
                        we go round every 200 million years,
                        And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
                        in this amazing and expanding universe.

                        The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
                        in all of the directions it can whizz,
                        As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
                        twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
                        So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
                        how amazingly unlikely is your birth,
                        Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
                        because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "blackfire_al <
                          blackfire_al@y...>" <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:
                          > For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
                          > to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning
                          of Life".

                          You must have the "Python Song Book" but do you have the script
                          book of the film? Anyway, my favorate is "The Life of Brian"

                          Life's a piece of shit
                          When you look at it
                          Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
                          You'll see it's all a show,
                          Keep 'em laughing as you go
                          Just remember that the last laugh is on you
                          And always look on the bright side of life...

                          > > > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
                          > >

                          > > I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
                          > > LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess
                          that
                          > > even Klaus would approve of the last line.
                          > >
                          > > Gerry

                          Off the topic from this group but since we are talking about the
                          Pythons I saw the other day "Lost in La Mancha" a documentary
                          film about Terry Gilliam's attempt to make a film about Don
                          Quixote. the film is the case of art imitating life and life imitating
                          art . Gillium's attempt to make the film mirrored Quixote....
                          impossible dream... dare to say quixotic?.