Re: Welcome new members

  • gogo132707
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003
      --- Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to participating in the
      discussions here :)
      Edia
      Join Spiritual Wisdom!

      In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I hope you find our club of interest. Don't worry about looking
      back
      > in the archives Ms "Gogo", many of then became garbled and confused
      > when we had the big crossover to E-groups a while ago. Besides,
      there
      > is no reason we cannot bring up topics again, since we are always
      > adding new members.
      >
      > And to Ms Tracey, it sounds like you have a wide range of
      interests.
      > Perhaps you will find this club's topic is one of them.
      >
      > And, we have other new members that I did not get a chance to
      welcome
      > as well (including some who have not posted yet).
      >
      > Since we do have these new people, let me take the oportunity once
      > again to reiterate the purpose of this club for thier benifit. This
      > club is specifically made to deal with historical Gnostic groups
      and
      > beliefs such as Valintinians, Sethians, and related groups that may
      > not technically be "Gnostic" like Manichaeans and Marcionites. Once
      > in a while we may venture into the realm of our modern personal
      > beliefs (or other modern groups), primarily for comparison to these
      > historical groups.
      >
      > PMCV
    • Tracey
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003
        Thank you for the welcome...yes, I am into many topics.
        the main one is learning many truths, thus my name truthbringer :)

        I believe I'll set back and watch awhile.

        NEWS FLASH- The shuttle is breaking apart coming back!!!!

        Tracey
        I hope you find our club of interest. Don't worry about looking back
        in the archives Ms "Gogo", many of then became garbled and
      • klaus schilling
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003
          Tracey writes:

          > NEWS FLASH- The shuttle is breaking apart coming back!!!!

          All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.
          It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
          not from the planet earth which is just one particular
          objectivation of the concept 'planet'.

          Klaus Schilling
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, klaus schilling <pessy@c...>
            wrote:
            > Tracey writes:
            > >
            > > NEWS FLASH- The shuttle is breaking apart coming back!!!!
            >
            > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.

            So what, Klaus? Tracey's message was not about "spacerace hype." It
            was showing human concern for a space disaster, which has apparently
            killed all seven astronauts.

            > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
            > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
            > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.

            You may find it necessary to escape, Klaus, but as long as we are in
            human form, we operate within this world, illusion or not. And for
            those who prefer to rise above, yet function in a practical sense on
            this "plane," I would hope that compassion would be an integral part
            of a pneumatic view regardless of anyone's philosophical or lifestyle
            choices.

            "Faith receives, love gives. [No one can receive] without faith, no
            one can give without love. Thus in order to receive we believe, and
            in order to love we give. For if one gives without love, one has no
            profit from what one has given." (Gospel of Philip)

            Klaus, your "gift" of words will likely not see a reply. For
            whatever reasons, Tracey has unsubscribed.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003
              Hello blackfire_al

              On 01-Feb-03, you wrote:

              > Lady Caritas,
              >
              > I E-ed Tracey and she says she did not unsubscribe. She went to
              > answer Klaus's post and she was unable to get through with her post
              > and somehow got unsubscribed accidentally. Computer glitch, I guess.
              >
              > Blackfire

              I finally managed to sign into Yahoo groups today after upgrading my
              SSL, it is finikey anyway, so her story is quite believable. Hope
              she re-subscribes soon.

            • blackfire_al <blackfire_al@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2003

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 2, 2003
                  > Hello blackfire_al
                  >
                  > On 01-Feb-03, you wrote:
                  >

                  > > Lady Caritas,
                  > >
                  > > I E-ed Tracey and she says she did not unsubscribe. She went to
                  > > answer Klaus's post and she was unable to get through with her
                  post
                  > > and somehow got unsubscribed accidentally. Computer glitch, I
                  guess.

                  > > Blackfire
                  >
                  > I finally managed to sign into Yahoo groups today after upgrading my
                  > SSL, it is finikey anyway, so her story is quite believable. Hope
                  > she re-subscribes soon.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > --
                  > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

                  Thank you, Blackfire, for your follow-up. I join Mike in hoping
                  Tracey will re-subscribe.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 2, 2003
                    > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.
                    > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
                    > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
                    > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.

                    BTW, one very important similarity between Gnosticism and Mahayana is
                    that of a central role in compassion. You know... "agape". You can
                    decry the world all you wish Klaus, but without Agape it means
                    nothing.

                    Do you think your answer was compassionate Klaus? There are times for
                    heartless acadeics (and even tactless criticism) there are also times
                    when your dogma must take a back seat to the human element.

                    PMCV
                  • ernststrohregenmantelrad
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003
                      pessy@c...> wrote:
                      > Tracey writes:
                      > >
                      > > NEWS FLASH- The shuttle is breaking apart coming back!!!!
                      >
                      > All the spacerace hype has nothing to do with Gnosticism.
                      > It's necessary to escape from this hyletic plane of existence,
                      > not from the planet earth which is just one particular
                      > objectivation of the concept 'planet'.
                      >
                      > Klaus Schilling

                      Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
                      vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
                      "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
                      Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
                      geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
                      "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

                      Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem
                      Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles
                      Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges
                      als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah.
                      Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
                      tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
                      tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
                      Universum hat doch ein Riß."
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 3, 2003

                        Reply to Ernst’s post #7119:

                        >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls, vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

                          Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten, sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

                        Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.  The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and the paradox of the simultaneous “beauty and tragedy” in our lives remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures the moment.  For anyone who missed the film, this comes from Kevin Spacey’s character in American Beauty, and I think it’s well worth the watching.

                        I’d always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die.  First of all, that one second isn’t a second at all.  It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

                        For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars.

                        And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.

                        Or my grandmother’s hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper.

                        And the first time I saw my cousin Tony’s brand, new Firebird.

                        And Janie——and Janie.

                        And Carolyn.

                        I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world.  Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once, and it’s too much.  My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst.

                        And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it, and then it flows through me like rain.  And I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

                        You have no idea what I’m talking about, I’m sure, but don’t worry——you will someday.

                        “Relax...,” huh—I know from experience that it can be difficult, but certainly something to shoot for.  ;-)

                        Gerry

                      • ernststrohregenmantelrad
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
                          wrote:

                          > Reply to Ernst's post #7119:
                          >
                          > >>Ich glaube, Sie haben keine Ahnung was Sie sagen. Falls,
                          vermute ich daß Sie niemals den Fernsehendokumentar
                          "Gnostics" von Border Television in England gesehen hat. Wenn
                          Sie ihn gesehen hätte, würden Sie nicht schreiben was Sie
                          geschieben hatten. Ich glaube, daß die Mädel nicht an die
                          "Spacerace" dachte, sondern wie tagisch die ganze Situation ist.

                          > Die Teil 4 des Fernsehendokumentar "Gnostics" fängt mit
                          dem Szene von der "Challenger" Explosion an. Zunächst redet
                          Gilles Quispel im Dokumentar seine Erfahrung wärend des
                          Krieges als er Kampfflugzeuge, die aus dem Himmel zerstörten,
                          sah. Quispel dachte, das war ein schöner Anblick, aber auch
                          tragisch. Er sagt dann, "Leben ist gleichzeitlich schön und
                          tragisch." Und weiter sagt er, "Diese Gnostiker hatten recht. Das
                          Universum hat doch ein Riß."<<

                          > Ernst, that quote is an excellent example, IMO, of how we view
                          such events as we come to perceive the world as passersby.
                          The imagery of witnessing such a sight (falling from the sky) and
                          the paradox of the simultaneous "beauty and tragedy" in our lives
                          remind me of another contemporary quote that similarly captures
                          the moment. For anyone who missed the film, this comes from
                          Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty, and I think it's well
                          worth the watching.

                          > I'd always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes
                          the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a
                          second at all. It stretches on forever like an ocean of time.

                          > For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching
                          falling stars.

                          > And yellow leaves from the maple trees that lined our street.
                          >

                          > Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed
                          like paper.

                          > And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand, new Firebird.
                          >

                          > And Janie--and Janie.
                          >

                          > And Carolyn.
                          >

                          > I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to
                          me, but it's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the
                          world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too
                          much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst.

                          > And then I remember to relax and stop trying to hold onto it,
                          and then it flows through me like rain. And I can't feel anything
                          but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid, little life.

                          > You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure, but don't
                          worry--you will someday.

                          > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult, but
                          certainly something to shoot for. ;-)

                          > Gerry

                          Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
                        • Gerry <gerryhsp@yahoo.com>
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, ernststrohregenmantelrad
                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry" <gerryhsp@y...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > [...]

                            > > "Relax...," huh-I know from experience that it can be difficult,
                            but
                            > certainly something to shoot for. ;-)
                            > >
                            > > Gerry
                            >

                            > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.

                            I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
                            LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess that
                            even Klaus would approve of the last line.

                            Gerry
                          • blackfire_al <blackfire_al@yahoo.com>
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 5, 2003
                              For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
                              to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning of Life".

                              Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
                              and revolving at 900 miles an hour,
                              It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
                              the sun that is the source of all our power.
                              The Sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
                              are moving at a million miles a day,
                              In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
                              of the Galaxy we call the Milky Way.

                              Our Galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars,
                              it's 100,000 light-years side-to-side,
                              It bulges in the middle, 16 000 light-years thick,
                              but out by us it's just 3 000 light-years wide.
                              We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point,
                              we go round every 200 million years,
                              And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
                              in this amazing and expanding universe.

                              The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
                              in all of the directions it can whizz,
                              As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
                              twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
                              So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
                              how amazingly unlikely is your birth,
                              Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
                              because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003
                                --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "blackfire_al <
                                blackfire_al@y...>" <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:
                                > For the edification of the entire group, here are the lyrics
                                > to "Galaxy Song" from the Monty Python movie, "The Meaning
                                of Life".

                                You must have the "Python Song Book" but do you have the script
                                book of the film? Anyway, my favorate is "The Life of Brian"

                                Life's a piece of shit
                                When you look at it
                                Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true,
                                You'll see it's all a show,
                                Keep 'em laughing as you go
                                Just remember that the last laugh is on you
                                And always look on the bright side of life...

                                > > > Mir gefällt "Galaxy Song" in _Sinn des Leben.
                                > >

                                > > I hate that I still haven't seen that one---can you believe it?!!
                                > > LOL I just looked at the lyrics, though, and venture to guess
                                that
                                > > even Klaus would approve of the last line.
                                > >
                                > > Gerry

                                Off the topic from this group but since we are talking about the
                                Pythons I saw the other day "Lost in La Mancha" a documentary
                                film about Terry Gilliam's attempt to make a film about Don
                                Quixote. the film is the case of art imitating life and life imitating
                                art . Gillium's attempt to make the film mirrored Quixote....
                                impossible dream... dare to say quixotic?.