Re: "Gnostics" and love relationships

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 29, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Gerry <gerryhsp@y...>"
      <gerryhsp@y...> wrote:
      > > many "Gnostics" (if there is such a thing) do not, and would
      > disagree
      > > with me imphatically.<<
      > > >

      > > > Hello, PMCV. Would you care to expand on your above comments?
      > > >
      > > > Cari
      > >
      > > Sure thing Lady C :)
      > >
      > > First, to answer the exchange between you and Mike; I use the
      > > term "many" not only so as not to pick on any particular person
      > here,
      > > but also because the impression that Klaus in particular has been
      > > expressing in here is a common perception that modern would be
      > > Gnostics have of traditional Gnosticism (so I assume that Klaus
      is
      > > not the only person here who feels that way, just the only one
      who
      > is
      > > expressing it).
      > >
      > > Of course, this idea of Gnosticism comes to us from the
      > polemicists,
      > > not the Gnostics themselves. This means that the severe ascetic
      > > attitude is more often a matter of a modern person recreating
      > > something based on external impressions of those who disagreed
      with
      > > the movements in question. A rough analogy would be something
      like
      > if
      > > I was an anti-abortionist, who wrote a book attacking the
      > Democratic
      > > party in the US for it's "liberalism". I Might write something
      > > like "those libertine Democrats are all having sex, even when
      they
      > > are in the Oval Office they disrespect it's sanctity. Then, they
      > > disrespect the life they bring into the world, and kill thier own
      > > offspring!"
      > >
      > > Now, a person reading this in a thousand years may say, "hey, I
      > want
      > > to be a Democrat, so I am going to create an oval building and
      > > sacrifice children in it". They would not uncerstand that the
      > > inferrence is of abortion, and that not all Democrats agree with
      > the
      > > implications of the polemic against them.
      > >
      > > Well, the ascetic impulse is often just the inverse of
      > > this "Democrat" example. Some polemicists takes some rather harsh
      > > sounding liturature, accuses Gnostics of castrating themselves
      and
      > > hating the world, and "viola!", we have modern people attempting
      > > recreate "Gnosticism" by self rightiously proclaiming thier
      hatred
      > of
      > > anything they believe smacks of "worldliness". BUT...... this
      > > impression is probably unrelated to the actual beliefs and
      > practices
      > > of the historical groups as a whole.
      > >
      > > I can't remember, Lady C, if it was you or Gerry who told me this
      > > story (can't remember the particulars so I'm telling my own
      > > version ;))....
      >

      > Nope---didn't come from me, but it certainly makes the point.
> [...]

      Didn't come from me either, PMCV, ... I don't think. Hmmm, maybe
      Gerry's alter ego? J/K, Ger. ;-)

      Anyway, PMCV, you do give an excellent illustration of what happens
      when a person's focus inadvertently becomes that which he/she is
      trying to avoid. Fact is, we're humans, and as such, we interpret
      the divine through our human mind and senses. Without promoting one
      lifestyle over another, I would think though that too much
      concentration on extreme worldly practices could sometimes have the
      effect of diminishing a focus on gnosis.