Re: Succession of Valentinus was Re: Question

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2003
      Hello pmcvflag

      On 16-Jan-03, you wrote:

      > Hmmm, well, unfortunately I don't know Stephen so I can't ask him. I
      > take it you do, and so do a couple of other people here. Perhpas
      > Ernst has heard it from Stephen as well, and can clerify, since he
      > also goes out there to Stephen's church. I am looking through all my
      > historical sources, and just can't find the John- Celenius-
      > Valintinus version (but these things can be hard to find for sure).
      > I only see the Paul- Theudus- Valintinus version. Of course, we all
      > know that these sources can be pretty fickle. However, please, if
      > you do find it let us know. As I said, I am alwasy interested in
      > these bits of info.
      >
      > PMCV
      >
      >> You would have to ask Stephen Hoeller, that is my source, and I
      > can't
      >> remember who he was quoting. But historically Lucineus Celenius was
      >> John's student, and Valentinus was his, so I guess that is where it
      >> comes from. A lot of Celenius stuff was quasi-Gnostic. He wrote a
      >> lot of gospel like stuff. Obvoiously that line, if it ever existed,
      >> died with the Valenininans. It would have made Valentinus a Bishop,
      >> even before running for Bishop of Rome. Who knows really at this
      >> distance in time.

      I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him. I am not at
      church often as my back keeps me from driving even that far, too much
      of the time. The way Stephan said it, I thought it was commonly
      accepted, and it does make sense, given the nature of the three men.
      Of course, I can't guarantee that my memory isn't playing tricks on
      me. In fact, I'll Blind CC this to him through a friend.

      BCC to B for Stephan.