Re: Resonating scripture

    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
      > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
      > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
      > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

      Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
      scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
      culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
      the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
      Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
      outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
      Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
      their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
      lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
      cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
      venue in which Gnosticism was created).

      None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
      gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
      mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
      wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
      community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
      knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
      yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
      Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

      By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003