Re: Resonating scripture

    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 8, 2003

      <themysteriousmrx@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Yeshua said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the
      kingdom
      > > is in the sky', then the birds of the sky will precede you. If
      they
      > > say to you, 'It is in the sea", then the fish will precede you.
      > > Rather, the kingdom is inside you, and it is outside you. When you
      > > come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will
      > > realise it is you who are the sons of the living Father. But if
      you
      > > will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who
      are
      > > that poverty."
      > >> - The Gospel of Thomas, Chapter 1, verse 3
      > >>
      > >> I thought this summed things up pretty nicely.
      > >>
      > >> Peace,
      > >

      > > Hello, T. I like this saying, too. We see some more comments about
      > > the kingdom in Logion 113 of _The Gospel of Thomas_:
      > >
      > > His disciples said to him, "When is the kingdom going to come?"
      > > (Jesus said), "It is not by being waited for that it is going to
      > > come. They are not going to say, `Here it is' or `There it is.'
      > > Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth,
      and
      > > people do not see it."
      > >
      > > Even Luke 17:20-21 mentions the kingdom being "within you."
      > >
      > > Considering Terje's comment about some gospels having "many
      layers,"
      > > I'll offer a question for your (and other members') consideration,
      > > should you feel like commenting: How would you describe a kingdom
      > > that is inside as well as outside you?
      > >
      > > Cari
      >
      > Forgive me, but I love being cryptic, but this is the real answer,
      > just meditate on it. THE WAY OUT IS IN. But, sometimes THE WAY IN
      > IS FROM THE OUTSIDE.
      >
      > Regards
      > --
      > Mike Leavitt ac998@l...

      Mike, thank you for offering your koan. After meditating on it, the
      paradox provided a source for an excellent discussion with a
      thoughtful materialist friend of mine, who is now most likely
      convinced of my lunacy. LOL

      "The Word said, `If you know the truth, the truth will make you
      free.' Lack of acquaintance is a slave: acquaintance is freedom. If
      we become acquainted with the truth, we shall find the fruits of
      truth within us. If we join with it, it will receive our fullness."
      (Gospel of Philip)

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.