Re: Resonating scripture

    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 7, 2003
      Hey Blackfire, I was still around over there (though not as much I
      guess). I simply changed my name to "Anfortas" when I posted that
      huge long letter a little bit ago. However... I think you are not the
      only one confused by it, so I will change it back to "Atroubadour"
      for the club. It also looks like Mr T's stance has been brought up
      over there, and Gerry has made some interesting points. I do see some
      linguistic problems with Mr T's point so I will try to jump into
      the "love" subject over there (either this evening or in the next
      couple of days).

      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "blackfire_al

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.