Re: Resonating scripture

  • Gerry <gerryhsp@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 5, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "blackfire_al
      <blackfire_al@y...>" <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

      > Well, Gerry, and Cari and Mike and anybody else, there has been an
      > ongoing dicussion over at Philosophia2 concerning "conditional
      love"
      > verses "unconditional love", and can there even be such a thing as
      > unconditional love between us puny humans, with people coming out
      and
      > arguing both sides.

      Thanks for the heads-up, Blackfire. I'll have to check it out.

      > But you dicussion of love over here concerns God (the big one, way
      > out there; as opposed to the local one, here and now, who, of
      course,
      > is carrying a false claim)
      >
      > Oh well, it's all so confusing....

      Aww, who would expect anything less when perfect things are thrust
      into an imperfect situation? As for the discussions here and there,
      perhaps they shouldn't seem so different after all. If we recognize
      the presence of "the big one" within "the local one," then why the
      need for us to divvy up and qualify the love we share?

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.