Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: Resonating scripture

  • Unknown
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 5, 2003

      There is no such this as "conditional love" any more than there is "unconditional hate". The only real love is unconditional love because conditions are ties to this world and all hate is based from something and is there for conditional. Unconditional love transcends this world. Everything else is either "Like" or "Lust". In my opinion.

      Peace,

      > As Mike pointed out, it would be hard to translate poorly something
      like the value of Love, and yet, just how often do people come up
      with their own bizarre interpretations of it?  On numerous occasions,
      I've witnessed a person chastising another for not "getting" the
      meaning of "unconditional" love, and in their explanation, proceeding
      to reveal their various qualifications for that allegedly un-
      qualified concept.  People are funny like that-just not always
      amusing.  ;-)

      Well, Gerry, and Cari and Mike and anybody else, there has been an
      ongoing dicussion over at Philosophia2 concerning "conditional love"
      verses "unconditional love", and can there even be such a thing as
      unconditional love between us puny humans, with people coming out and
      arguing both sides.

      But you dicussion of love over here concerns God (the big one, way
      out there; as opposed to the local one, here and now, who, of course,
      is carrying a false claim)

      Oh well, it's all so confusing.  I still haven't figured out whether
      Jesus is a good guy or a bad guy, or is the problem not Jesus but the
      form of worship that has grown up around His perfect Truth and
      twisted it to be used as some means to a nefarious end.

      I haven't decided whether I am gnostic or not.  I just study the post
      and read a bit when I have some oh-so-precious time to do so.

      Happy Holidays to all and to all a good....(Oh, I don't
      know...future, bank account, love life, health, happiness).

      Blackfire_al

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.