Re: Resonating scripture

    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 4, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, Unknown <themysteriousmrx@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Cari,
      > <<How would you describe a kingdom that is inside as well as
      outside you?>>

      > Sure, ask me something easy! :) I don't think its so much a matter
      of what kingdom is inside and what kingdom is outside but the
      bringing together of those kingdoms, the marriage of the spiritual to
      the physical is what makes both kingdoms better and more enjoyable.
      Unfortunately words transcend description of the kingdoms when they
      are good, but I can say it becomes painfully clear when they aren't
      in balance or aren't good. Somehow I seem to recognize the absence of
      the good moreso than the presence of it, if that makes any sense at
      all whatsoever. I can't really explain what they are like when good
      but the agonies of life testify clearly to what they are like when
      they aren't good.

      > Is that a good answer? I think I confused myself trying to explain
      it.

      > Peace,

      It's a good, sincere, thoughtful answer, IMHO, T.

      BTW, I usually tend to confuse myself, too, when trying to explain
      things gnostic. I think it comes with the territory. ;-)

      I'll reserve reflections for another time. For the present, I'm
      enjoying reading others' (like Willy's and Jef's and hopefully other
      members) comments on this question, too.

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.