Re: Resonating scripture

    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 4, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, AJRoberti@a... wrote:
      > Hello Cari,

      > << Also, do you have any problem reconciling _The Testimony of
      Truth_
      > with Valentinian selections on your list? >>
      >

      > Haw haw haw! Sorry, my occasion for laughter out loud is noting
      that I
      > somehow misread "Testimonium" as "Evangelium."

      I suspected as much, but didn't want to insert foot in mouth if that
      weren't the case. :-)

      > One thing that characterizes the above collection of texts is an
      attitude
      > that traditional religious rites and observances are useless in
      > "guaranteeing" that one will achieve a state of harmony with the
      divine.

      > I would also say that they describe a cosmic state of affairs much
      more
      > complex than the teaching of "dualism" typically associated with
      Gnosticism
      > in general. (Hymn of the Pearl notwithstanding.) In fact I would
      go so far
      > as to say that dualism is irrelevant from the Valentinian point of
      view. The
      > Valentinian school is less dualistic even than "mainstream"
      Christianity.

      > The Epistle to Flora is a good introduction to the Valentinian
      hermeneutic.
      > It is not flawless, but it draws you in, and it is easy to read
      without
      > familiarity with the more esoteric underpinnings of Valentinian
      teaching.
      > What this text and the Gospel of Truth imply, is that the
      underlying
      > conclusions and principles of Valentinian thought can be expressed
      wholly in
      > the milieu of traditional Christian terminology. They demonstrate
      why
      > heresiologists were so threatened by Valentinianism. However they
      constitute
      > a polemic not only against the hierarchical elitism of the
      mainstream church
      > but also the esoteric monopoly of the Gnostic cults.

      I found your post quite interesting, Tony.

      You have introduced the germ for some intriguing topics should you
      care to expand on your comments when you have some time, Tony. Or
      perhaps others also have some opinions on your observations.

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.