Re: Resonating scripture

    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 3, 2003
      --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, klaus schilling <pessy@c...>
      wrote:
      > lady_caritas writes:
      >

      > > Do you have favorite Gnostic scripture(s)
      >

      > The Testimonium Veritatis (NHC IX,3)
      >
      > Klaus Schilling

      Hello, Klaus. Your selection is not a surprise to me. You have
      mentioned an encratic lifestyle in the past, in addition to
      displeasure with Valentinus. What other ideas presented in this work
      appeal to you?

      This writing, which upholds an austere view of renunciation of this
      world, is an example of polemics against other Gnostic sects as well
      as more traditional Christianity. I'm curious. This piece is quite
      unforgiving of various other sects, even though there seems to be
      some agreement, such as the importance of self-knowledge and
      disputing "carnal resurrection." IOW, one might wonder if this
      author isn't placing quite a lot of emphasis on praxis.
      Incompatibility with other Gnostics appears to stem more from
      differing practices he feels are necessary to attain gnosis.

      Klaus, do you personally find any other Gnostic scriptures to your
      liking?

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.