Re: [Gnosticism2] Resonating scripture

  • AJRoberti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 30, 2002
      Hello Lady Caritas, Klaus Schilling,

      << > Do you have favorite Gnostic scripture(s)

      The Testimonium Veritatis (NHC IX,3) >>

      That is my favorite too.  I would add:

      The Hymn of the Pearl
      The Odes of Solomon
      Epistle of Ptolemy to Flora
      The Gospel of Philip
      The Gospel of Thomas
      Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians

      Tony Roberti
      ---
      Renewal Gnosticism: http://members.aol.com/AJRoberti/rg/index.htm

      But woe to you Pharisees! for you tithe mint and rue and every herb, and neglect justice and the love of God; these you ought to have done, without neglecting the others. - Luke 11:42

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.