Re: Resonating scripture

    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hello lady_caritas

      On 28-Dec-02, you wrote:

      > With the New Year just around the corner, I'll be taking a few days
      > retreat, but before I depart, I want to pose a question to members,
      > new and old:
      >
      > Do you have favorite Gnostic scripture(s) and why? Also, feel free
      > to share any related verses, personal stories, revelations, etc.
      >
      > I like to think that ancient wisdom can still strike a chord
      > nowadays. What do you think?
      >
      > Happy New Year, everyone.
      >
      > Cari :-)

      1 Corinthians 13.

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 9, 2003
        > Because moving away from Latin as the scholars' lingua franca
        > was the greatest error throughout the history of European culture.
        > This has already been noted by A. Schopenhauer.

        Others would argue that the movement INTO Latin as the
        scholar's "lingua franca" was the greatest mistake of western
        culture... this would include the Greek-speaking composers of much of
        the Nag Hammadi library, as well as it's Coptic speaking translators.
        Often times both of these languages were very specifically used as
        outposts of resistance against Latin cultural oppression. In northern
        Egypt the Greek speaking community was second only to the Jews for
        their reputation for insurrection (in Alexandria the Greek community
        lived just to the south of the walled Jewish quarter, and the
        cultural exchange equalled the resentment of occupation. This is the
        venue in which Gnosticism was created).

        None of these books we are talking about were written in Latin, so
        gumming up the works with yet a fourth (unrelated) language in the
        mix seemed rather strange is all. Don't get me wrong, Latin is a
        wonderful language, and one that is very useful to the scientific
        community. It is also something like speaking Hebrew at a Palistinian
        knitting club. I have no problem if you want to use latin... knock
        yourself out our uptight friend. Now, if we were talking about
        Catholicism it would seem perfectly obvious that you should use Latin.

        By the way..... Schopenhauer wasn't Gnostic either.