Re: The Black Arts by Richard Cavendish

    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 14, 2002
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Wayne" <waynel@i...> wrote:
      > --- In gnosticism2@y..., lady_caritas <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > I have yet to make a connection between devastating floods,
      > > earthquakes, illness, etc., and an "Only Good"
      >
      > > Cari
      >
      > What evidence is required before anyone or anything can be judge
      > guilty of being wrong, Bad, of being Evil, mean or ugly spirited.
      >
      > Do you see innocence as being ugly, bad, wrong, evil.
      >
      > Reality is always beautiful, Good.
      > Floods, earthquakes, Illness can not be judged Guilty
      > of wrong doing, of being Bad, of being Ugly, Evil.

      Wayne, you are reading meaning into my words that I did not say nor
      intend. I apologize if I did not make myself clear.

      You neglected to repost my entire last sentence, which read, "I have
      yet to make a connection between devastating floods, earthquakes,
      illness, etc. and an "Only Good" creation that you posit is not seen
      as good and beautiful because we're deceiving ourselves through lies
      and sin."

      "Only Good" creation implies a creator. In assorted Gnostic
      mythologies, there was a creator that was viewed in various ways,
      such as evil or even more mildly capricious and foolish. This deity
      was not considered the "True God." IOW, to repeat, Gnostics didn't
      view our universe as "Only Good, Only Beautiful." They viewed our
      world as flawed.

      "Sin" was viewed as ignorance, so if we were deceiving ourselves
      through "lies and sin" and then stopped "deceiving ourselves," would
      we now become aware of a physical creation that is only good and
      beautiful? Perhaps you do, Wayne, but that is not a Gnostic view. I
      might ask you in return, "what evidence is required before anyone or
      anything can be judged" only good or only beautiful? Conversely, I
      don't view floods, earthquakes, illness as being "Guilty of wrong
      doing, of being Bad, of being Ugly, Evil." Floods, earthquakes, and
      illness do not have a brain to conceive of "wrong doing," but they do
      often cause human misery. IOW, the world is flawed, imperfect.
      Gnostics would awaken to this realization. They would not pretend
      that nothing is wrong with this physical world, nor would their view
      of events like millions of people dying in floods and earthquakes as
      horrific be considered merely human self-deception.

      Viewing the material world as the only reality is not a Gnostic
      view. I am curious, Wayne, if you consider the world only good and
      beautiful, what do you consider evil and ugly?

      Cari
    • fred60471
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 15, 2002
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Wayne" <waynel@i...> wrote:
        > --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Kishara" <kisharaiwass@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > > You should read "meditations" by marcus aurelius.
        > >
        > > -K.A.
        >

        > Can I find it on the internet?

        http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html

        Regards,