Re: The Black Arts by Richard Cavendish

  • incognito_lightbringer
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 6, 2002
      Again, the relationship between Sophia, Demiurge, and Satan isn't so
      clear. Are they all the same force described as a plurality, where
      some aspects are to redeemed, others destroyed? Is Sophia,
      well...Sophia in the upper aeons, but Satan/Demiurge/Spirit in the
      material world, a kind of fracture or psychosis or duality? I know
      the gnostic texts present a linear story, but they do so with the
      Pleroma also (this came first, then that, then that) but that's still
      all a unity and stressed as such. Origin of the World, with
      Ialdeboath and all his sons, may be similar. Thus when an upheaveal
      takes place, it's within the demiurge himself, and the demiurge is
      material (animate but not spiritual) and has part of Sophia's power.
      Satan on the other hand is spiritual, but evil. Just throwing some
      ideas around.

      I read in one heresiological source(I think it's Hippolytus about the
      Valentinians, I'll have to go through a stack of books to find it)
      that they interpreted the myth of the prodigal son as Satan and
      Jesus. Jesus is the older son, Satan is the younger one who goes off
      drinking, whoring, and so on, eventually to repent and return home.

      --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > And which GNostic texts did you glean that from Wayne?
      >
      > PMCV
      >
      > --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Wayne" <waynel@i...> wrote:
      > > --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Magus Lazarus" <Magus_lazarus@h...>
      wrote:
      > > You do of course realize that in the end Satan is to agin see the
      > > Light and return to sit at the Right hand of God.
      > >
      > > Perhaps you have not been made privy to that information?
    • fred60471
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 15, 2002
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Wayne" <waynel@i...> wrote:
        > --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Kishara" <kisharaiwass@y...> wrote:
        > >

        > > You should read "meditations" by marcus aurelius.
        > >
        > > -K.A.
        >

        > Can I find it on the internet?

        http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.html

        Regards,