Re: Gnosis is Not Emptiness

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2002
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "lightpotential" <lightpotential@y...> wrote:

      The whole concept of
      > gnosis is tied to our receiving 'light in our lamps' or knowledge
      in
      > our souls. It is this which, in my view at least, is what frees us
      > from the sphere of the fates and the lower realms that we inhabit
      > that are ruled by the demiurge. There are great mysteries connected
      > to this idea of people (souls) being empty containers.

      Hello, lightpotential. I agree that Gnosis involves freedom. If we
      look at another Gnostic text, we might see another angle.

      "For like lack of acquaintance, truth reposes in itself while it is
      hidden. But when it appears and is recognized, it is glorified
      insofar as it overpowers lack of acquaintance and error. It bestows
      freedom. The Word said, `If you know the truth, the truth will make
      you free.' Lack of acquaintance is a slave: acquaintance is
      freedom. If we become acquainted with the truth, we shall find the
      fruits of truth within us. If we join with it, it will receive our
      fullness." (_Gospel of Philip_)

      ". . it will receive our fullness." Interesting turn of phrase,
      isn't it? IOW, lack of acquaintance could be blindness to what is
      already there, waiting to be "re"-cognized. We would not be empty
      containers waiting to be filled, but rather humans that already
      contain "the fruits of truth" yet to be discovered. Upon
      acquaintance we then join with truth, which receives *our* fullness.

      In fact, I
      > believe that the realm that we inhabit which is the Kosmos, one of
      > the lowest realms of creation, was 'counterfeited into existence'
      as
      > a natural consequence of the continued EXTENSION from God that led
      > the creation of all realms in their entireity. It's creation
      > was 'planned' from the beginning. It had to be so. It is for us to
      > rise above this realm and through this act we exit this world of
      > suffering.

      I was wondering if you could clarify what you mean by "God" in this
      context. Is it still your view that "God" is an "active being"?
      A "True God" or "Bythos" that PMCV mentioned would be infinite and
      ineffable and therefore not a "being" nor "active" in a temporal
      sense. Also, I was also wondering if you could expand on what you
      mean by " `planned' from the beginning" and whether or not that might
      relate to Gnostic mythology.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2002
        Lightpotential said....

        > To me, the Pistis Sophia is a classic gnostic text and among the
        most
        > important. There are mysteries that are covered in this work which
        > are also treated to a lesser extent in the Bible in the 4 gospels
        of
        > Jesus, that examine this concept of emptiness, especially as it
        > relates to the human condition. Jesus speaks of souls as being
        empty
        > containers, much like counterfeited money. The whole concept of
        > gnosis is tied to our receiving 'light in our lamps' or knowledge
        in
        > our souls. It is this which, in my view at least, is what frees us
        > from the sphere of the fates and the lower realms that we inhabit
        > that are ruled by the demiurge. There are great mysteries connected
        > to this idea of people (souls) being empty containers. In fact, I
        > believe that the realm that we inhabit which is the Kosmos, one of
        > the lowest realms of creation, was 'counterfeited into existence'
        as
        > a natural consequence of the continued EXTENSION from God that led
        > the creation of all realms in their entireity. It's creation
        > was 'planned' from the beginning. It had to be so. It is for us to
        > rise above this realm and through this act we exit this world of
        > suffering.

        which parts exactly are you talking about Lightpotential? In my
        recollection Jesus speaks of the souls of men in a rather negative
        light (as in chapter 8 where he explains that the apostles are absent
        the "souls of the rulers". It also speaks of the "fulness" in a
        positive way. None of this seems related to the kind of "emptynes"
        that Corax is talking about though... two completely different things
        it would appear to me. Can you clerify for us?