the Eternal Instant

  • Magus Lazarus
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2002
      it has become clear that this group may be able to appreciate a piece which
      i wrote earlier and was largely ignored by the previous elist. understand
      that i'm a Satanist/Occulist and thus my perspectives may be different from
      some you've encountered in the past. feel free to offer feed back as you
      see fit.

      The Eternal Instant:

      What I�m about to share with everyone is an exert from my personal journal,
      its value however will have to be determined by you. I know what it has
      meant to me, and that is all I can go on.

      Some time ago I read the works of the infamous Anton LaVey (founder and High
      Priest of the Church of Satan), much of which I have disagreed with over the
      course of time�however I have come to realize that Anton LaVey was right
      about the strength of the Ego being key to both Ascension and survival of
      Death. This realization has also come hand in hand with the secondary
      realization concerning the true nature of the human soul. You see I have
      always thought that the Soul as such was unique only to humans due to the
      fact that we actually have conscious thought and intellect, however over the
      course of many years I�ve had to accept the simple fact that this theory
      doesn�t work as it would not account for the soul of plants and animals.
      Rather the Soul/Self has to be a more subtle body of consciousness and
      self-awareness which simply uses the higher conscious mind as a vehicle for
      expression.
      It was following this line of discovery that I�ve come to realize the two
      major flaws of LaVey�s theory. The first lies in the fact that allowing the
      Ego to develop to the point where it could attain ascension under its own
      strength would create very powerful "Dents" upon the fabric of reality which
      would result in what can easily be described as spatial distortions. This
      is what often creates the effects of Ghosts and Poltergeists and can become
      and extremely destructive force which pose a very real danger to those in
      the living world. In essence it has actually damaged the very fabric of
      reality for a particular area and left a gaping hole in it.
      The second down side is in the effect that this level of intensity WILL
      have upon your personal life. There is no way to avoid it actually, if you
      are developing your will to the level of a Deity, then expect to have about
      as many friends. Understand that this is not really a positive thing, as
      I�ve never really seen a Deity with ANY friends. They have peers with whom
      they only loosely associate with, and they have followers whom they often
      couldn't give a shit less about...but friends?
      It has been from the stand point of a very clear sense of Self, and a
      strongly developed sense of my own Ego (yes, including all the problems that
      statement would imply) that I�ve come to look closely at my life. In taking
      that look however I have found the last thing I was looking for....Clarity.
      Now when I say this, I don�t mean an �oh, yeah, I get that� type of clarity,
      but rather an �OH MY GOD� type that came upon me with the force of a tidal
      wave that lifted me off my feet and slammed me into an altered state of
      consciousness. It was a moment of awe in which I realized that I was
      looking upon the very core of the human soul in its rawest and most basic
      form. This realization runs much deeper than it may first appear�. you�ll
      no doubt notice that I said �the human soul� and not simply �my soul�. As I
      stood there staring, time began to slow down, moving slower and slower until
      I could actually see my own soul looking back at me from within the eyes of
      the people around me. In the breath of an instant all of eternity had
      frozen and hung motionless, and the clarity that came with that stillness
      has left me forever changed with a lingering sense that escapes both the
      written and spoken word. As a result of this experience I have come to
      understand there is a point at which our conscious mind will simply start
      reaching beyond the limits of our own thoughts, beyond our own "space" and
      when that happens your perspective will be able to shift and become part of
      the people and events happening around you - Right Now! - For myself, when
      this happens it is as if time begins to slow down and ceases to be an
      infinite thing, rather it becomes a singular point which hangs motionless
      somewhere between the end of one instant and the beginning of the next, and
      the whole world just simply stops. Once it quits moving a virtually Divine
      sense of Clarity sets in and allows us to see things as they actually are,
      instead of the way we would like to believe them to be. There are no �
      truths, and no illusions to hide behind�.now, while I cant speak for the
      rest of you guys, this was VERY frightening to me the first time it
      happened. It ripped away the safety and comfort of the white lies which all
      of us surround our lives with and laid bare every failure and
      disappointment. I can only compare this to the Christian idea of standing
      in judgment before God. However the Fear actually passes as we realize the
      past is lost to us and all we can do is to accept our losses and failures
      and move forward into tommorow. Once this realization happens we are able
      to pass beyond the Fears and the Disappointments of the past only to stumble
      upon a silent space of elation. There in that moment�.that Eternal Instant,
      all the world hangs motionless and �Life� takes on a meaning far removed
      from the everyday version of it we all know. It was there that all of life
      moved with one breath and our very souls exist at a collective level.

      Following this experience, I can honestly say that it is upon bended
      knee that I have look into the face of eternity and feel very very small. I
      cant help but wonder why this experience has come upon me at this point in
      life, perhaps this is the true beginning of my journey and learning
      experience or perhaps it is a way of preparing me for its approaching end?
      I don�t know, but I can say it is certainly a prelude to things to come.

      Magus Lazarus

      Gnostic Luciferian,
      Satanic Alchemist,
      & Student of Enochian Physics

      The Satanic Empire:
      http://www.geocities.com/thesatanicempire/main.html

      Standing tall with head held high,
      Armed and gird beneath a Nazarene Sky.
      Eternally vigilant we stand though tired
      We are the Master's chosen...
      the Satanic Empire.

      Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!� Try MSN.
    • Will Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 21, 2002
        Magus, I read through your description of the experience, and except
        for one thing you said, I could say that I know of such an experience
        in its general terms. That one thing was: "However the Fear actually
        passes as we realize the past is lost to us and all we can do is to
        accept our losses and failures and move forward into tommorow."

        The eternal instant I have registered in memory has neither a past nor
        a future. It leaves no self to either accept or reject losses and
        failures, and it shows that tomorrow is only thought. I would not call
        it an instant but a place. I guess we must not be speaking of the same
        thing. Oh well!

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2002
          Hey Magus

          Interesting piece. Before I really give my two cents though I'm
          curious how familiar you are with the lingo of historical Gnosticism.
          I'm particularly wondering if you are familiar with the notions of
          Yaldebaoth (who certainly reminds me of the ego you mention), and the
          destinction between "soul" and "spirit". Could be an interesting
          discussion for sure

          PMCV

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 27, 2002
            Hmmm. I am wondering, Wilbro, how you can be so sure that the
            difference between your understanding and Magus' is anything more
            than the post "experience" contextualization. After all, you
            did "have registered in memory" which would seem to linguistically
            fall short on exactly the same grounds that you point out Magus'
            description does. Whether or not the past or future after
            the "experience" is illusionary has absolutely nothing to do with how
            we describe it in general terms.

            Besides... if I were sceptical of the experience I could just as
            easily argue that the the lack of time and self is an illusion of the
            experience (a perceptual spasm of sorts) rather than the material
            world being the illusion. I have an article from Newsweek, May 7
            2001, where a number of MDs argue exactly that. The mystical
            experience of true infinity could be nothing more than brain
            chemistry. If that were the case then I could surely demonstrate that
            not only is the experience in no way unique, but that your liguistic
            differences are simply part of the same illusion as the experience
            itself, caused by that little point just above the occipital lobe
            where you contextualize and react to language. Perietal lobe fart, or
            melting into infinity? Obviously I'm playing devils advocate a little
            here.... but not completely.

            PMCV

            --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Will Brown" <wilbro99@y...> wrote:
            > Magus, I read through your description of the experience, and
            except
            > for one thing you said, I could say that I know of such an
            experience
            > in its general terms. That one thing was: "However the Fear
            actually
            > passes as we realize the past is lost to us and all we can do is to
            > accept our losses and failures and move forward into tommorow."
            >
            > The eternal instant I have registered in memory has neither a past
            nor
            > a future. It leaves no self to either accept or reject losses and
            > failures, and it shows that tomorrow is only thought. I would not
            call
            > it an instant but a place. I guess we must not be speaking of the
            same
            > thing. Oh well!
          • Will Brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2002
              Well, the Flag waves again; or maybe it is the mind that is waving. I
              will go along with the possibility of a mystical experiences being
              nothing more than an artifact of brain chemistry. I have heard that he
              OBE can be had simply by means of ingesting a drug. I have no idea of
              what a mystical experience of true infinity means. I don't think I
              have ever had a mystical experience; at least, none that I would claim
              being mystical; mystical-schmistical.

              Now, to what I said and what I was up to. I read Magus as describing
              an experience that he saw as changing his relation to himself. This is
              what I was referring to as the general experience. I made no comment
              on the content of his experience other than to comment upon something
              he said about it, namely, "However the Fear actually passes as we
              realize the past is lost to us and all we can do is to accept our
              losses and failures and move forward into tomorrow."

              That statement is something he gleaned from the experience, an insight
              he saw it offering. It was this that I was speaking to. I had the
              thought that it was possible that his wording of the insight was
              unclear because he had not thought it through. By that I meant that if
              the past were lost, wherein is there a future? My intent was to
              suggest that other reading of his insight, and to do it in such a
              manner that he would have to see it first. I have no idea of whether
              or not my intent was fulfilled or not. I threw in my description of
              the change as something for him to reflect upon as to the difference.

              Now that you have jumped in here, let's see what we have going. You
              said, "Whether or not the past or future after the "experience" is
              illusionary has absolutely nothing to do with how we describe it in
              general terms." The general terms I had in mind were, as I have stated
              above, the generic experience of a change in one's sensate self,
              something I remember being a tenant of Gnosticism, if I remember
              correctly, and which is supposed to reveal the illusory nature of the
              temporal sense of self, if I remember correctly. Granted it has
              nothing to do with the description; it has to do with the insight
              engendered by the experience.

              Again, my intent with Magus was to probe for any correspondence of
              insight without saying what I was after. It was a sort of, "Hey, do
              you see this in what you see?" I find it enjoyable to place little
              notes around in invisible ink, just to see who can read that which
              cannot be read. But I do appreciate your attention.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2002
                Will states...

                > Again, my intent with Magus was to probe for any correspondence of
                > insight without saying what I was after. It was a sort of, "Hey, do
                > you see this in what you see?" I find it enjoyable to place little
                > notes around in invisible ink, just to see who can read that which
                > cannot be read. But I do appreciate your attention.

                Ah, but is that enjoyment fostered by the simple sensate self, or the
                newly informed sensate self ;)