Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: A southern Baptist

  • Matt Tackitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2002
      LOL! That site is a riot! I think this is my favorite part: I would quote from it but it certainly would offend someone, and rightfully so. ;)

      Everyone really should check this site out. I'd vote it Best on Web.

      Peace,

    • Coraxo
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 15, 2002
        Re: [Gnosticism2] A southern Baptist Pax vobiscum;

        Ha Ha Ha - Landover Baptist - what a hoot! I, myself, (and me), am a big fan of Sister Taffy from way back.

        http://sistertaffy.com/

        Corax

        From: "levi563" <levi563@...>
        Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:01:00 -0000
        To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Gnosticism2] A southern Baptist

        Well how bout that!...Will is a southern baptist!!  Why don't some
        of you on this "gnostic" list ask old willy from north carolina if you
        will go to hell for ETERNITY if you don't subscribe to his
        particular Dogmatic sect of bible thummpers!  This explain's his
        anti-gnostic view's just perfectly....I advise those of you on this list
        to look elsewhere If you want to learn the truth about
        gnosticism...Cause you certainly won't find it on an intolerant
        anti-gnostic list such as this.

        Check out the dogma ridden anti-gnostic link I found in will's
        profile.   Go on! ask him about his rigged anti-gnostic belief's,
        ask him if you will go to HELL FOR ETERNITY if you don't
        become a baptist christian.

        · Cool Link 2:  http://www.landoverbaptist.org

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT

      • Will Brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 15, 2002
          Just a thought: I would find a site that did to Gnosticism what this
          site does to Christianity just as much of a hoot and I wonder how a
          Gnostic would react to Gnosticism being had in the same manner?

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 15, 2002
            --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Will Brown" <wilbro99@y...> wrote:
            > Just a thought: I would find a site that did to Gnosticism what
            this
            > site does to Christianity just as much of a hoot and I wonder how a
            > Gnostic would react to Gnosticism being had in the same manner?
            >
            > --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Matt Tackitt" <MTackitt@E...> wrote:
            > > LOL! That site is a riot! I think this is my favorite part: I
            would
            > quote from it but it certainly would offend someone, and rightfully
            > so. ;)
            > >
            > > Everyone really should check this site out. I'd vote it Best on
            Web.

            > > http://www.landoverbaptist.org
            > >

            > > Peace,

            I would imagine that some Gnostics might be honored that anyone even
            heard of them or cared enough to try. I mean, gee, Will, after
            centuries of persecution and polemics against the Gnostics,
            those "heretics," the "antichrists," a little humor would be a
            welcome relief, eh?

            For instance, _The First Letter of John_ 2:18-19 in the Bible canon
            warns against the antichrists (gnostics):

            "Children, it is the last hour! As you have heard the antichrist is
            coming, so now many antichrists have come. For this we know that it
            is the last hour. They went out from us, but they did not belong to
            us; for if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with
            us. But by going out they made it plain that none of them belongs to
            us." (_NRSV_)

            Besides, I know several moderate to liberal Christians who love that
            landoverbaptist site, which mainly attacks fundamentalism, a
            phenomenon found as a faction in most religions today that IMO has in
            many cases become a worldwide danger.

            Cari :-)
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 15, 2002
              Actually Will, there aready is one. Here is the URL....

              http://www.enemies.com/

              It comes from a slightly different angle in that I think it is meant
              to be sympathetic, but it still revels in satire at the same time. Of
              course, the most obvious example that slams both fundie AND Gnostic
              beliefs would be good 'ol Bob Dobbs (there are a plethora of terms
              lifted straight from the Nag Hammadi used in some of the CoSG books)

              Hey, I know all about "slack"!

              PMCV

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 15, 2002
                --- In gnosticism2@y..., pmcvflag <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Actually Will, there aready is one. Here is the URL....
                >
                > http://www.enemies.com/
                >
                > It comes from a slightly different angle in that I think it is
                meant
                > to be sympathetic, but it still revels in satire at the same time.

                Yeah, PMCV, I think it does come across as being sympathetic (unlike
                some other satirical sites). In fact I've talked with people who,
                not familiar with Gnosticism, use a search engine, come across this
                site with the "enemies" name and God as the "devil," and aren't quite
                sure what to make of it all and even decide Gnosticism is a turnoff.
                LOL

                I'm not familiar with any sites that outright lambaste Gnostics
                though. Maybe others know of some. I suppose the heresiologists
                already did a good enough job, eh?

                Cari
              • AJRoberti@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 16, 2002
                  Hello,

                  > http://www.landoverbaptist.org

                  I also recommend an associated site:

                  http://www.whitehouse.org

                  Both scary *and* funny.

                  Tony Roberti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 16, 2002
                    --- In gnosticism2@y..., AJRoberti@a... wrote:
                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > > http://www.landoverbaptist.org
                    >
                    > I also recommend an associated site:
                    >
                    > http://www.whitehouse.org
                    >
                    > Both scary *and* funny.
                    >
                    > Tony Roberti

                    Hello, Tony. Yes, the "Newsroom" at this site is particularly
                    good, . . really "scary." :-) Even though not specifically a
                    religious satirical site, there are nonetheless plenty of jabs at
                    fundamentalism. This brings home the reality that a modern notion of
                    completely separating church and state is a tough one to implement.
                    The influence of fundamentalism nowadays is particularly pervasive.

                    I'm reminded of Dr. Hoeller's comments, in an article we've discussed
                    before, regarding political confusion. It seems that even esoteric
                    Gnostics weren't left alone by some moderns, who, obviously confused
                    about any ties to historical Gnosticism, liked to blame so-
                    called "new Gnostics" for modern totalitarian ideologies.

                    http://gnosis.org/whatisgnostic.htm

                    From the article:

                    "A Political Confusion

                    One of the most confusing voices comes from the discipline of
                    political science. In his Walgreen Lectures at the University of
                    Chicago in 1951, émigré scholar Eric Voegelin rose to the defense of
                    what he called the "classic and Christian tradition" against what he
                    perceived as the "growth of Gnosticism." This opening salvo was
                    followed by such books as The New Science of Politics, the
                    multivolume Order and History, and Science, Politics, and Gnosticism.
                    Voegelin became a prophet of a new theory of history, in which
                    Gnosticism played a most nefarious role. All modern totalitarian
                    ideologies were in some way spiritually related to Gnosticism, said
                    Voegelin. Marxists, Nazis, and just about everybody else the good
                    professor found reprehensible were in reality Gnostics, engaged
                    in "immanentizing the eschaton" by reconstituting society into a
                    heaven on earth. Since Gnostics did not accept the conventional
                    Christian eschaton of heaven and hell, Voegelin concluded that they
                    must be engaged in a millenarian revolutionizing of earthly
                    existence. At the same time, Voegelin was bound to admit that the
                    Gnostics regarded the earthly realm as generally hopeless and
                    unredeemable. One wonders how the unredeemable earthly kingdom could
                    be turned into the "immanentized eschaton" of an earthly utopia. That
                    Voegelin's new Gnostics had no knowledge of or sympathy with
                    historical Gnosticism did not bother him either. Gnostics they were,
                    and that was that.

                    Voegelin's confusion was made worse by a number of conservative
                    political thinkers, mainly with Catholic connections. Thomas Molnar,
                    Tilo Schabert, and Steven A. McKnight followed Voegelin's theories
                    despite their obvious inconsistencies. In Molnar's view, Gnostics
                    were not only responsible for all modern utopianism, but also for the
                    inordinate attachment of modern people to science and technology. The
                    scientific world view, said these folk, is in fact a Gnostic world
                    view, and it is responsible for treating humans as machines and for
                    making societies into machinelike collectives.

                    The politicized view of Gnosticism continues to have its adherents,
                    but these are increasingly recruited from the lunatic fringe.
                    Gnostics are still represented as dangerous subversives in pulp
                    magazines and obscure conspiracy pamphlets "exposing" Freemasons,
                    Satanists, and other pests. Meanwhile, respectable conservative
                    thinkers have dropped the Gnostic issue. Some, like scholar and
                    former U.S. Senator S.I. Hayakawa, have subjected Voegelin and his
                    theories to severe criticism and ridicule."