New UK-based Gnostics yahoo mailing list and social group

  • Mysty
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2002
      Hi,

      I hope it's okay to introduce my new yahoo group here for anyone who
      wants to join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Present-
      dayCatharsandDualistsUK/ . My group is different from this one, in
      that it's especially for those who live in the UK, and, because I
      intend it to be open to the possibility of being a social group as
      well as one just to discuss Gnostic, Dualist and Cathar beliefs.
      That is, posts don't have to be strictly on those topics, but can be
      for people to simply make friends, and discuss their general
      spiritual and psychic experiences with people of similar faith.

      I decided to start my group, because my own spiritual orientation in
      Gnosticism and Dualism, and my interest in the Cathars, is very much
      at odds with the New Age or Pagan beliefs of people in my social
      circle. This was and is which was making discussing my spritual and
      psychic experiences a very lonely thing, because I always end up
      being lectured with New Age and Pagan spiritual advice and
      interpretations which don't for me ring true for me, or bring
      comfort. I don't really know anyone who has a Gnostic outlook. I
      thought there must be others in my position, and a yahoo group might
      be a good way to bring us together. Hence my saying it is a UK group -
      to hopefully enable group members to more feasibly meet up and make
      face-to-face friendships if they want to - although actually anyone
      from any country is welcome to join and join in the discussions.

      So please anyone feel free to join if you want. Lurkers are also
      welcome, if anyone would like to lurk. Please forward this message to
      anyone you know who might like to join,

      cheers, Mysty
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2002
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Mysty" <mysty_catharynissa@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I hope it's okay to introduce my new yahoo group here for anyone
        who
        > wants to join: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Present-
        > dayCatharsandDualistsUK/ . My group is different from this one, in
        > that it's especially for those who live in the UK, and, because I
        > intend it to be open to the possibility of being a social group as
        > well as one just to discuss Gnostic, Dualist and Cathar beliefs.
        > That is, posts don't have to be strictly on those topics, but can
        be
        > for people to simply make friends, and discuss their general
        > spiritual and psychic experiences with people of similar faith.
        >
        > I decided to start my group, because my own spiritual orientation
        in
        > Gnosticism and Dualism, and my interest in the Cathars, is very
        much
        > at odds with the New Age or Pagan beliefs of people in my social
        > circle. This was and is which was making discussing my spritual and
        > psychic experiences a very lonely thing, because I always end up
        > being lectured with New Age and Pagan spiritual advice and
        > interpretations which don't for me ring true for me, or bring
        > comfort. I don't really know anyone who has a Gnostic outlook. I
        > thought there must be others in my position, and a yahoo group
        might
        > be a good way to bring us together. Hence my saying it is a UK
        group -
        > to hopefully enable group members to more feasibly meet up and
        make
        > face-to-face friendships if they want to - although actually anyone
        > from any country is welcome to join and join in the discussions.

        Hello, Mysty. Your new group sounds interesting and the possibility
        of turning into a social group in which people could meet face-to-
        face could be a great opportunity for those in the UK. I know many
        of us can relate to your feeling of aloneness even while surrounded
        by family and friends in our daily lives. I feel fortunate to have
        the opportunity to meet online friends with "a Gnostic outlook" with
        whom I can share my experiences, too.

        We'd also be happy to have you continue contributing your ideas with
        us if you'd like. Perhaps you and others might like to expand on
        your "spiritual orientation in Gnosticism." For instance, how do
        your ideas relate to the Gnostics of the late antiquities and/or any
        modern, associated trends? How do those New Age or Pagan
        interpretations you mention differ from your own experience? I'm
        sure there might be members who are interested in this subject, but
        don't necessarily consider themselves Gnostic, and we'd also
        encourage them to join in discussion with our Gnostic focus.