Re: Matrix

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "beautiful2afault" <beautiful2afault@y...>
      wrote:
      > yep, it was on t.v. last night. watched it again. it is always
      nice
      > seeing something twice. and yes, the gnosticism themes were
      there.

      B2aF, I was thinking the same thing when I watched the movie again
      recently. Even though one could read almost any symbolism one wants
      into a movie, as we've discussed, it's not a stretch at all to see
      Gnostic imagery in this particular film.

      I'm finding it useful to take the time to gradually learn about the
      ancient Gnostics, along with their unique metaphorical language.
      Truly, gnosis is ahistorical. For that reason, I find it meaningful
      to be able to compare my experience to the relevant, living
      experience of those now physically dead. Only the cultural and
      historical settings have changed. A critical perspective is very
      important in our personal, experiential paths, and I feel we moderns
      have much to learn by appreciating the art of metaphor that these
      ancients used to unearth deep knowledge not always availed by using
      *only* literal interpretations, emotional ecstasies, or reason and
      logic.

      Cari
    • Kevin E. Houchin
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
        I just joined this group this morning, so someone may have already
        posted this book and I just missed it...

        Anyway.

        There's a great book available in most bookstores titled "The Matrix
        and Philosophy" (ISBN: 0-8126-9501-1). It goes into a good bit of
        deapth discussing how The Matrix fits into the major philisophic
        structures.

        -Kevin
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
          --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin E. Houchin"
          <kevin.houchin@w...> wrote:
          > I just joined this group this morning, so someone may have already
          > posted this book and I just missed it...
          >
          > Anyway.
          >
          > There's a great book available in most bookstores titled "The
          Matrix
          > and Philosophy" (ISBN: 0-8126-9501-1). It goes into a good bit of
          > deapth discussing how The Matrix fits into the major philisophic
          > structures.
          >
          > -Kevin

          Yeah, it was mentioned back in April (post #7572).

          The book really covers a broad spectrum of contributors, including a
          feminist perspective comparing _The Matrix_ with another film,
          _eXistenZ_ (which I didn't care for).

          You may enjoy another more Gnostic-specific link about the film's
          philosophy which was shared during past discussions here:

          http://www.unomaha.edu/~wwwjrf/gnostic.htm

          Gerry
        • Kevin E. Houchin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003