Matrix

  • beautiful2afault
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      yep, it was on t.v. last night. watched it again. it is always nice
      seeing something twice. and yes, the gnosticism themes were there.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., "beautiful2afault" <beautiful2afault@y...>
        wrote:
        > yep, it was on t.v. last night. watched it again. it is always
        nice
        > seeing something twice. and yes, the gnosticism themes were
        there.

        B2aF, I was thinking the same thing when I watched the movie again
        recently. Even though one could read almost any symbolism one wants
        into a movie, as we've discussed, it's not a stretch at all to see
        Gnostic imagery in this particular film.

        I'm finding it useful to take the time to gradually learn about the
        ancient Gnostics, along with their unique metaphorical language.
        Truly, gnosis is ahistorical. For that reason, I find it meaningful
        to be able to compare my experience to the relevant, living
        experience of those now physically dead. Only the cultural and
        historical settings have changed. A critical perspective is very
        important in our personal, experiential paths, and I feel we moderns
        have much to learn by appreciating the art of metaphor that these
        ancients used to unearth deep knowledge not always availed by using
        *only* literal interpretations, emotional ecstasies, or reason and
        logic.

        Cari
      • Kevin E. Houchin
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
          I just joined this group this morning, so someone may have already
          posted this book and I just missed it...

          Anyway.

          There's a great book available in most bookstores titled "The Matrix
          and Philosophy" (ISBN: 0-8126-9501-1). It goes into a good bit of
          deapth discussing how The Matrix fits into the major philisophic
          structures.

          -Kevin
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003
            --- In gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin E. Houchin"
            <kevin.houchin@w...> wrote:
            > I just joined this group this morning, so someone may have already
            > posted this book and I just missed it...
            >
            > Anyway.
            >
            > There's a great book available in most bookstores titled "The
            Matrix
            > and Philosophy" (ISBN: 0-8126-9501-1). It goes into a good bit of
            > deapth discussing how The Matrix fits into the major philisophic
            > structures.
            >
            > -Kevin

            Yeah, it was mentioned back in April (post #7572).

            The book really covers a broad spectrum of contributors, including a
            feminist perspective comparing _The Matrix_ with another film,
            _eXistenZ_ (which I didn't care for).

            You may enjoy another more Gnostic-specific link about the film's
            philosophy which was shared during past discussions here:

            http://www.unomaha.edu/~wwwjrf/gnostic.htm

            Gerry
          • Kevin E. Houchin
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2003