THE MULTIPLE BIBLE VERSIONS

  • private
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2002
      It will now be easy for us to analyze a Christian's claim about his
      Holy Book.
      SEPARATING THE WHEAT FROM THE CHAFF
      Before we scrutinize the various versions, let us clarify our own
      belief regarding the Books of God. When we say that we believe in the
      Tauraat, the Zaboor, the Injeel and the Qur'an, what do we really
      mean? We already know that the Holy Qur'an is the infallible Word of
      God, revealed to our Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhummed Mustapha (Peace be
      upon him) word for word, through the agency of the Archangel
      Jibraeel, (known as Gabriel in English), and perfectly preserved and
      protected from human tampering for the past fourteen hundred years! 1
      Even hostile critics of Islam have grudgingly vouched for the purity
      of the Holy Qur'an: "THERE IS PROBABLY IN THE WORLD NO OTHER BOOK
      WHICH HAS REMAINED TWELVE CENTURIES (now fourteen) WITH SO PURE A
      TEXT." — (Sir William Muir)
      The Tauraat we Muslims believe in is not the "Torah" of the Jews and
      the Christians, though the words — one Arabic, the other Hebrew — are
      the same. We believe that whatever the Holy Prophet Moses (Peace be
      upon him) preached to his people, was the revelation from God
      Almighty, but that Moses was not the author of those "books"
      attributed to him by the Jews and the Christians. 2
      Likewise, we believe that the Zaboor was the revelation of God
      granted to Hazrat Dawood (David) (Peace be upon him), but that the
      present Psalms associated with his name are not that revelation. The
      Christians themselves do not insist that David is the sole author
      of "his" Psalms.3
      1. Whether Muslim or non-Muslim, you do not have lo accept this claim
      on faith alone. You can verify the fact that Al-Qur'an is the Word of
      God. See "AL-QURAN- The Miracle of Miracles";
      2- More evidence later on — "Moses not the author of the
      Biblical "Torah."
      3.. Later on you'll read how Christian "Brains Trust" confess —
      "Author; Principally David, though there are other writers."
      What about the Injeel? INJEEL means the "Gospel" or "good news" which
      Jesus Christ preached during his short ministry. The "Gospel" writers
      often mention that Jesus going about and preaching the Gospel (the
      Injeel):
      1. "And Jesus went . . . preaching the gospel . . . and healing every
      disease among the people." (Matthew 9:35)
      2. "... but whosoever shall lose his fife for my sake and the
      gospel's, the same shall save it." (Mark 8:35)
      3. "... preached the gospel. . ." (Luke 20:1)

      The "gospel" is a frequently-used word, but what Gospel did Jesus
      preach? Of the 27 books of the New Testament, only a small fraction
      can be accepted as the words of Jesus. The Christians boast about the
      Gospels according to St. Matthew, according to St. Mark, according to
      St. Luke and according to St. John, but there is not a single
      Gospel "according" to (St.) Jesus himself! We sincerely believe that
      everything Christ (May the peace and blessings of God be upon him)
      preached was from God. That was the Injeel, the good news and the
      guidance of God for the Children of Israel. In his life-time Jesus
      never wrote a single word, nor did he instruct anyone to do so. What
      passes off as the "GOSPELS" today are the works of anonymous hands!
      The question before us is: "Do you accept that the Bible is God's
      Word?" The question is really in the form of a challenge. The
      questioner is not simply seeking enlightenment. The question is posed
      in the spirit of a debate. We have every right to demand in a similar
      vein — "Which Bible are you talking about?", we may ask. "Why, there
      is only ONE Bible!" he mutters.
      THE CATHOLIC BIBLE
      Holding the "Douay" Roman Catholic Version of the Bible aloft in my
      hand, I ask, "Do YOU accept THIS Bible as the Word of God?" For
      reasons best known to themselves, the Catholic Truth Society have
      published their Version of the Bible in a very short, stumpy form.
      This Version is a very odd proportion of the numerous Versions in the
      market today. The Christian questioner is taken aback. "What Bible is
      that?" he asks. "Why, I thought you said that there was only ONE
      Bible!" I remind him. "Y-e-s," he murmurs hesitantly, "but what
      Version is that?" "Why, would that make any difference?" I enquire.
      Of course it does, and the professional preacher knows that it does.
      He is only bluffing with his "ONE Bible" claim.
      The Roman Catholic Bible was published at Rheims in 1582, from
      Jerome's Latin Vulgate and reproduced at Douay in 1609. As such the
      RCV (Roman Catholic Version) is the oldest Version that one can still
      buy today. Despite its antiquity, the whole of the Protestant world,
      including the "cults"* condemn the RCV because it contains seven
      extra "books" which they contemptuously refer to as the "apocrypha"
      i.e. of DOUBTFUL AUTHORITY. Notwithstanding the dire warning
      contained in the Apocalypse, which is the last book in the RCV
      (renamed as "Revelation" by the Protestants), it is "revealed":
      ". . . If any man shall add to these things (or delete) God shall add
      unto him the plagues written in this Book."
      (Revelation 22:18-19)
      But who cares! They do not really believe! The Protestants have
      bravely expunged seven whole books from their Book of God! The
      outcasts are:
      The Book of Judith
      The Book of Tobias
      The Book of Baruch
      The Buck of Esther, etc.
      * This disparaging title is given by the orthodox to Jehovah's
      Witnesses, the Seventh Day Adventists and a thousand other sects and
      denominations with whom they do not see eye to eye.
      THE PROTESTANT BIBLE
      Sir Winston Churchill has some pertinent things to say about the
      Authorised Version (AV) of the Protestant Bible, which is also widely
      known as the "King James Version (KJV)".
      "THE AUTHORISED VERSION OF THE BIBLE WAS PUBLISHED IN 1611 BY THE
      WILL AND COMMAND OF HIS MAJESTY KING JAMES THE 1ST WHOSE NAME IT
      BEARS TILL TODAY."
      The Roman Catholics, believing as they do that the Protestants have
      mutilated the Book of God, are yet aiding and abetting the
      Protestant "crime" by forcing their native converts to purchase the
      Authorised Version (AV) of the Bible, which is the only Bible
      available in some 1500 languages of the lesser developed nations of
      the world. The Roman Catholics milk their cows, but the feeding is
      left to the Protestants! The overwhelming majority of Christians —
      both Catholics and Protestant — use the Authorised (AV) or the King
      James Version (KJV) as it is alternatively called.
      GLOWING TRIBUTES
      First published, as Sir Winston says, in 1611, and then revised in
      1881 (RV), and now re-revised and brought up to date as the Revised
      Standard Version (RSV) 1952, and now again re-re-revised in 1971
      (still RSV for short). Let us see what opinion Christendom has of
      this most revised Bible, the RSV:-
      1. "THE FINEST VERSION WHICH HAS BEEN PRODUCED IN THE PRESENT
      CENTURY." — (Church of England Newspaper)
      2. "A COMPLETELY FRESH TRANSLATION BY SCHOLARS OF THE HIGHEST
      EMINENCE." — (Times literary Supplement)
      3. "THE WELL-LOVED CHARACTERISTICS OF THE AUTHORISED VERSION COMBINED
      WITH A NEW ACCURACY OF TRANSLATION." — (Life and Work)
      4. "THE MOST ACCURATE AND CLOSE RENDERING OF THE ORIGINAL" — (The
      Times)
      The publishers (Collins) themselves, in their notes on the Bible at
      the end of their production, say on page 10: "THIS BIBLE (RSV), IS
      THE PRODUCT OF THIRTY-TWO SCHOLARS, ASSISTED BY AN ADVISORY COMMITTEE
      REPRESENTING FIFTY CO-OPERATING DENOMINATIONS." Why all this
      boasting? To make the gullible public buy their product? All these
      testimonies convince the purchaser that he is backing the right
      horse, with the purchaser little suspecting that he is being taken
      for a ride.
      "THE WORLD'S BEST SELLER"
      But what about the Authorised Version of the Bible (AV), the "World's
      Best Seller?" These Revisers, all good salesmen, have some very
      pretty things to say about it. However, their page iii, paragraph six
      of the PREFACE of the RSV reads;
      "THE KING JAMES VERSION (alternative description of AV) HAS WITH GOOD
      REASON BEEN TERMED 'THE NOBLEST MONUMENT OF ENGLISH PROSE.' ITS
      REVISERS IN 1881 EXPRESSED ADMIRATION FOR 'ITS SIMPLICITY, ITS
      DIGNITY, ITS POWER, ITS HAPPY TURNS OF EXPRESSION ... THE MUSIC OF
      ITS CADENCES, AND THE FELICITIES OF ITS RHYTHM.' IT ENTERED, AS NO
      OTHER BOOK HAS, INTO THE MAKING OF THE PERSONAL CHARACTER AND THE
      PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEOPLES. WE OWE TO IT AN
      INCALCULABLE DEBT."
      Can you, dear reader, imagine a more magnificent tribute being paid
      to the "Book of Books" than the above? I, for one, cannot. Let the
      believing Christian, now steel himself for the un-kindest blow of all
      from his own beloved Lawyers of Religion; for in the very same breath
      they say:
      "YET THE KING JAMES VERSION HAS GRAVE DEFECTS." And, "THAT THESE
      DEFECTS ARE SO MANY AND SO SERIOUS AS TO CALL FOR REVISION . . ."
      This is straight from the horse's mouth, i.e. the orthodox Christian
      scholars of "the highest eminence." Another galaxy of Doctors of
      Divinity are now required to produce an encyclopaedia explaining the
      cause of those GRAVE AND SERIOUS DEFECTS in their Holy Writ and their
      reasons for eliminating them.