Re: ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE

  • beautiful2afault
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
      i got this far. "
      Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The
      term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah"

      and had to comment.

      without going into the formation of my thought. when the individual
      must be brought to obedience the situation is in a far cry.

      several things going on.

      there is love and equality,
      respect and honor
      and finally obedience

      it would seem to me that obedience is a far cry from love
      but a good start for those who cannot fathom love especially one for
      the other in any or all social or personal perspective.

      so yes, by all means come up to a level of obedience if that means
      civil conduct toward others. then try for higher levels of
      existence. respect and honor, love and equality.

      when i have to bend to obidence. i have left the platue of love and
      respect.

      of course following obidence can prevent a bunch of pain and
      suffering in just doing what is told and said to do. like a
      thougtless process not needing or wanting more. cause all should be
      fulfilled from the sheer obidence of all acts in according to some
      one elses and god's thinking.

      well i don't think so. if you are without love or respect or the
      inabiltiy to develop such. then by all means. strive for obidence.

      and our world will be a better place. but don't force your thinking
      upon ones who love god and try to love one another in the same breath.

      understand this? understand this and the world will come to better.
      if you don't understand this. then do strive toward obey toward god
      and maybe some form of love.

      beautiful2afault

      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "domiati" <domiati@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      the
      > millionaire himself but his wife, son, or daughter. The question is
      > this: can aiming at wealth bring happiness to the individual? In
      most
      > cases the answer is NO. Is the purpose of collecting wealth is a
      > standing purpose? As we know, the child of five years does not look
      > for wealth: he prepares a toy to a million dollars. The adolescent
      of
      > eighteen does not dream of wealth because he is busy with more
      > important things. The old man of ninety years does not care for
      > money, he is worried more about his health. This proves that wealth
      > cannot be a standing purpose in all the stages of the individual's
      > life.
      >
      > Wealth can do a little to bring happiness to a disbeliever, because
      > disbeliever is not sure about his end or his fate. A disbeliever
      does
      > not know the purpose of life. And if he has a purpose, this purpose
      > is doomed to be temporary or self destructive.
      >
      > What is the use of wealth to a disbeliever if he feels scared of
      the
      > end and skeptical of everything. A disbeliever may gain a lot of
      > money, but surely loses himself.
      >
      > Worshipping Allah as an Aim
      >
      > On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of
      > life he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah.
      The
      > term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.
      >
      > The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim
      > sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life,
      whether
      > he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.
      >
      > Worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaning especially with
      > the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is
      just
      > a short stage of our life. Then there is the other life. The first
      > life and the second life are by the death stage, which is a
      > transitory stage of the second life. The type of the second life a
      > person deserves depends on his deeds in the first life. At the end
      of
      > the death stage comes the day of judgment On this day, Allah
      rewards
      > or punishes people according to their deeds in the first life.
      >
      > The First Life as an Examination
      >
      > So Islam looks at the first life as an examination of man. The
      death
      > stage is similar to a rest period after the test, i. e., after the
      > first life. The Day of Judgment is similar to the day of announcing
      > the results of the examines. The second life is the time when each
      > examinee enjoys or suffers from the outcome of his behaviour during
      > the test period.
      >
      > In Islam, the line of life is clear, simple, and logical: the first
      > life, death then the Day of Judgement, and then the second life.
      With
      > this clear line of life, the Muslim has a clear purpose in life.
      The
      > Muslims knows he is created by Allah. The Muslim knows he is going
      > spend some years in this first life, during which he has to obey
      God,
> [...]
      > in Him, and worship Him alone.
      >
      > We should also know our Prophet whom Allah had sent to all mankind,
      > believe in Him and follow Him. We should, know the religion of
      truth
      > which our Lord has commanded us to believe in, and practice it..
      >
      > Those in search of truth
      >
      > Who have an open mind and heart,
      >
      > Islamic Education Foundation
      >
      > Welcome You.
      >
      > Objectives: -
      >
      > To Convey the message of Islam
      >
      > To Educate Muslims aboof Islam
      >
      > To keep in close contact with new Muslims.
      >
      > Activities:
      >
      > Offering Courses and presenting lectures about Islam in several
      > languages.
      >
      > Teaching Islam and Arabic.
      >
      > Teaching new Muslims to receive the Holy Quran.
      >
      > Helping Non- Muslims embrace Islam and complete the required
    • beautiful2afault
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
        it was not that religion was hijacked but love

        love was hijacked by relgion and conformed squashed into the
        some human understanding for that particular time and age.

        don't do this, do do that, and all the rules associated with control
        because humanity can not seem to control their own sexual and
        emotional aims.

        ah the procreation of our loins
        may it be civil, may it be love, may it be consentual.

        beautiful2afault

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
          --- In gnosticism2@y..., pessy@c... wrote:
          > incognito_lightbringer writes:
          > > What about the Cathar endura?
          >
          > Suicide by starving tends to be licit, as it can be a consequence of
          > mortification of the Thelema.
          > Fast active suicides are, to the contrary, usually a form of
          > affirmation of the Thelema, with very rare exceptions
          > like those of Philip Mainlaender and Mario de Sa'-Carneiro
          > This has been shown e.g. by A. Schopenhauer's
          > "Welt als Wille und Vorstellung"
          >

          > Klaus Schilling

          Notwithstanding past discussions in our group as to whether Cathars
          considered the sacrament of Consolamentum to be of ultimate
          significance in liberation instead of Gnosis in their soteriology,
          the Cathar endura was nonetheless according to the author in the
          following link,
          "… not attested in early Catharist sources, but, it does appear to
          have been a practice among the late (and extremely peculiar) Cathars
          of Montaillou in the fourteenth century. Much in their beliefs and
          practices is unusual, and although Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie's account,
          _Montaillou_, is perhaps the most widely known work on the Cathars,
          neither it, nor the heretics it describes can be taken as typical."

          http://www.gnosis.org/consolamentum.html

          As to one view on Schopenhauer ~

          http://people.brandeis.edu/~teuber/schopenbio.html#_dieweltalswilleund
          vorstellung

          "Within philosophy itself, Schopenhauer is important for having
          broken with his Idealist contemporaries both in espousing a down-to-
          earth materialism and in forsaking philosophic jargon in favor of a
          limpid and vigorous literary style. He put forward a metaphysics of
          the will which approached life in concrete terms (his psychological
          insights often anticipate Freud) and resulted in a pessimistic
          attitude to the cosmos. Schopenhauer held that there are two ways to
          combat the tyranny of the will. The first is through art, at its most
          exalted in music; it is this aspect that entitles him to be thought
          of as the exemplarily Romantic philosopher, expounding (in Thomas
          Mann's phrase) a `Künstlerphilosophie [artist's philosophy] par
          excellence.' The second path lies in an ethic of asceticism and self-
          overcoming; Schopenhauer was one of the first Western thinkers to
          take seriously Hindu and Buddhist philosophy."

          and

          "But art offers only a temporary exit from the phenomenal world--the
          world of suffering, of practical affairs, of causal determinism. The
          more lasting path is not aesthetic but ethical. The individual,
          Schopenhauer argues, ought to overcome the chains of desire that
          enslave him to the will; the ideal is disillusioned, ascetic turning
          away from the world. It would be better not to have been born; yet
          suicide is a mistake, since it rules out the possibility of self-
          overcoming."

          Cari
        • alexis johnson
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002

            An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

            Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?  I once wrote a poem about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I was never sure who was who or what was what.

            Blackfire

             lady_caritas wrote:

            --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

            >  pessy@c... wrote:
            > domiati writes:
            > >
            > > What is the purpose of my life?
            >
            > Self-mortification
            >
            > > What is the purpose of your life?
            >
            > ditto
            >
            > > What is the purpose of our lives?
            >
            > ditto
            >

            > Klaus Schilling
            >

            > SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!
            >

            > Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.
            >

            > There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean
            isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some
            help here...

            Blackfire ~ Of course, only Klaus can explain further what he means
            in his post by "self-mortification."

            In the meantime, the following homily by Rev. Steven Marshall offers
            one perspective on "Self-Examination."

            http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/ecclesia/homily_Lent1.htm

            Whether or not one agrees with Steven Marshall's point of view (with
            Jungian overtones), his words are pause for consideration.

            "So, why do we not suggest that we all leave this vale of woe in some
            mass suicide? Because there is something yet very precious about
            human consciousness�there is an insight, a resurrection, a Gnosis
            that can only be achieved in this embodied consciousness. This Gnosis
            not only liberates one from the attachments and snares of the world
            but also awakens a compassion for all sentient beings and a desire to
            remain and help others with the task of Self-knowledge. Liberation
            from the chains of attainment frees us from bondage to our demiurgic
            egos."

            Do You Yahoo!?

          • incognito_lightbringer
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
              Coffee is a stongly psychoactive material?!?!?! Even one cup when
              you're rushing off to work in the morning? What about weak tea with
              milk and honey? (I hate to even ask about chocolate, the Inca kings
              drank 100 cups a day of that stuff).
              Klaus, are you a Mormon?
              Hoeller tells an amusing story in one of his lectures how the Mormons
              came to Austria to convert the locals. His mother was complaining
              that they wanted everyone to give coffee up, and that just wouldn't
              do. They didn't have a very successful mission.

            • pessy@chez.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                incognito_lightbringer writes:

                > Klaus, are you a Mormon?

                No way.
                Morons violate celibacy and veganism
                without even a glimpse of malconscience.
                They even justify marriage and procreation. *vomit*
                They also deny palingenetic reincarnation.
                In addition, they are against docetism.
                On top of all, they are personalistic theists.
                They also deny the inherent evilness of creation.
                So I'm nowhere near the Morons,
                even scored 0% in the belief-o-matic test.

                Klaus Schilling
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                  Heh, heh. Incognito, I sit here finally with my first cup of coffee
                  of the day (even though I've been up and busy for over three hours
                  already) to read again through various thoughtful responses from
                  members to my evolutionary quandary.

                  Be back later when I attempt to put some thoughts together,
                  influenced though they may be by ingestion of this "strongly
                  psychoactive" drink.

                  And, Klaus, I just read your most recent post. Your spelling
                  of "Mormons" was surely just a typographical error? And, although
                  you are certainly entitled to your lifestyle, I'll try to ignore
                  the "vomit" comment, too.

                  Cheers,
                  Cari :-)

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                    --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                    > An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus
                    Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the
                    Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky
                    waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

                    > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both? I once wrote a poem
                    about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I
                    was never sure who was who or what was what.
                    > Blackfire

                    Do you still have the poem? It sounds interesting.

                    Anyway, Blackfire, in Gnostic mythology the deity who created the
                    material world is not the same as the True God or Bythos. The
                    mythological creator god takes on a range of characteristics from
                    evil (Sethian) to a more foolish, capricious deity (Valentinian)
                    depending on the Gnostic school.

                    The article in this link will give you an introduction to the
                    Demiurge in Valentinianism ~

                    http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/demiurge.htm
                    from the text:
                    ".. the Demiurge in Valentinianism is quite different in character
                    from the hostile creator figure familiar from other schools of
                    Gnosticism. In the Sethian school, for example, the Demiurge is a
                    hostile demonic force who creates the material world in order to trap
                    the spiritual elements. In contrast, Valentinians "show a relatively
                    positive attitude towards the craftsman of the world or god of
                    Israel" (Layton 1987). Valentinians insisted that while the Demiurge
                    may be a bit foolish, he certainly could not be considered evil.
                    Instead, he has a role to play in the process of redemption."

                    Cari
                  • pessy@chez.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 6, 2002
                      alexis johnson writes:

                      > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?

                      Both the demiurge and the devil are Archons, nowhere near the Divine.

                      Klaus Schilling