Re: " [Gnosticism] "

  • gerryhsp
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002

      > I just reset the subject tag to read "Gnosticism2" instead
      > of "Gnosticism." We'll see if that works once I send this
      message.

      Thanks for noticing (and correcting) that, guys. I figured Yahoo
      would have set our defaults at the new settings during the
      conversion...but then, why expect consistency now... right?!

      If we could just find the settings for filtering out proselytizing
      posts, we'd be all set!

      Gerry
    • alexis johnson
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002

         pessy@... wrote:

        domiati writes:

        > What is the purpose of my life?

        Self-mortification

        > What is the purpose of your life?

        ditto

        > What is the purpose of our lives?

        ditto

        Klaus Schilling

        SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!

        Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.

        There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some help here...Why is there air?...(to blow up basketballs, of course)...let's see..."meaning"..."aim"..."life"...okay, time to get the search engine reved up and...this could take all nite!...shhhheeeeeshhhh...I'll get back to you all when I find something out.

        Blackfire, over and out.

        Do You Yahoo!?

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
          --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

          > pessy@c... wrote:
          > domiati writes:
          > >
          > > What is the purpose of my life?
          >
          > Self-mortification
          >
          > > What is the purpose of your life?
          >
          > ditto
          >
          > > What is the purpose of our lives?
          >
          > ditto
          >

          > Klaus Schilling
          >

          > SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!
          >

          > Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.
          >

          > There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean
          isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some
          help here...

          Blackfire ~ Of course, only Klaus can explain further what he means
          in his post by "self-mortification."

          In the meantime, the following homily by Rev. Steven Marshall offers
          one perspective on "Self-Examination."

          http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/ecclesia/homily_Lent1.htm

          Whether or not one agrees with Steven Marshall's point of view (with
          Jungian overtones), his words are pause for consideration.

          "So, why do we not suggest that we all leave this vale of woe in some
          mass suicide? Because there is something yet very precious about
          human consciousness—there is an insight, a resurrection, a Gnosis
          that can only be achieved in this embodied consciousness. This Gnosis
          not only liberates one from the attachments and snares of the world
          but also awakens a compassion for all sentient beings and a desire to
          remain and help others with the task of Self-knowledge. Liberation
          from the chains of attainment frees us from bondage to our demiurgic
          egos."

          Cari
        • wilbro99
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
            Reply to 6521:

            Alice, I was waiting to see if any other would take you up on the
            evolution post and along comes this. The point I was going to make
            there will be made here, which is that the only thing to be taken
            literally is a change in the sensate self. I have read his entire
            sermon, if sermon it be, and would agree with the general thrust of
            it, especially as captured by the part you have quoted. Of course, I
            would cast it in different terms, but that is a matter of how one
            decides to describe that which is called Gnosis, the literal part; and
            that decision is one very complicated affair as I see it.

            Here is how I would change the part you quoted: Since the demiurgic
            ego is a reflected identity, a way of grasping "me" as "me," I would
            simply say that the attachments and snares of the world are of
            self-awareness, which is why it is called self-knowledge. As you can
            see, I am limiting it to the field of cognition, and to the self to
            self relation. Since that liberation, at least as I know it, brings
            about another sense of self, that self-reflection brings another
            dimension of reflection into being. This is what I would call the
            spiritual dimension. This is what I see Kierkegaard as calling the
            spiritual, for those who have the ears to hear, that is. ----willy

            "So, why do we not suggest that we all leave this vale of woe in some
            mass suicide? Because there is something yet very precious about human
            consciousness-there is an insight, a resurrection, a Gnosis that can
            only be achieved in this embodied consciousness. This Gnosis not only
            liberates one from the attachments and snares of [strike(the world)]
            [self-awareness] but also awakens a compassion for all sentient beings
            and a desire to [strike(remain and)] help others with the task of
            Self-knowledge. Liberation from the chains of attainment frees us from
            bondage to our demiurgic egos."
          • incognito_lightbringer
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
              Klaus admires the encratites.
              Okay, so no sex, meat, or wine. (Maybe a visit to the local
              dominatrix for some flagellation)
              But I can't see giving up showering ;)

              --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

              > pessy@c... wrote:
              > domiati writes:
              > >
              > > What is the purpose of my life?
              >
              > Self-mortification
              >
              > > What is the purpose of your life?
              >
              > ditto
              >
              > > What is the purpose of our lives?
              >
              > ditto
              >

              > Klaus Schilling
              >

              > SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!
              >

              > Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.
              >

              > There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean
              isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some
              help here...Why is there air?...(to blow up basketballs, of
              course)...let's see..."meaning"..."aim"..."life"...okay, time to get
              the search engine reved up and...this could take all
              nite!...shhhheeeeeshhhh...I'll get back to you all when I find
              something out.

              > Blackfire, over and out.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Service.

            • incognito_lightbringer
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                What about the Cathar endura?

              • pessy@chez.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                  incognito_lightbringer writes:
                  > Klaus admires the encratites.
                  > Okay, so no sex, meat, or wine.

                  'Wine' extends to all strongly psychoactive materials,
                  like shrooms, coffee, and LSD.

                  > (Maybe a visit to the local
                  > dominatrix for some flagellation)

                  that's anti-encratite as well

                  Klaus Schilling
                • pessy@chez.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                    incognito_lightbringer writes:
                    > What about the Cathar endura?

                    Suicide by starving tends to be licit, as it can be a consequence of
                    mortification of the Thelema.
                    Fast active suicides are, to the contrary, usually a form of
                    affirmation of the Thelema, with very rare exceptions
                    like those of Philip Mainlaender and Mario de Sa'-Carneiro
                    This has been shown e.g. by A. Schopenhauer's
                    "Welt als Wille und Vorstellung"

                    Klaus Schilling
                  • beautiful2afault
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                      i got this far. "
                      Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The
                      term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah"

                      and had to comment.

                      without going into the formation of my thought. when the individual
                      must be brought to obedience the situation is in a far cry.

                      several things going on.

                      there is love and equality,
                      respect and honor
                      and finally obedience

                      it would seem to me that obedience is a far cry from love
                      but a good start for those who cannot fathom love especially one for
                      the other in any or all social or personal perspective.

                      so yes, by all means come up to a level of obedience if that means
                      civil conduct toward others. then try for higher levels of
                      existence. respect and honor, love and equality.

                      when i have to bend to obidence. i have left the platue of love and
                      respect.

                      of course following obidence can prevent a bunch of pain and
                      suffering in just doing what is told and said to do. like a
                      thougtless process not needing or wanting more. cause all should be
                      fulfilled from the sheer obidence of all acts in according to some
                      one elses and god's thinking.

                      well i don't think so. if you are without love or respect or the
                      inabiltiy to develop such. then by all means. strive for obidence.

                      and our world will be a better place. but don't force your thinking
                      upon ones who love god and try to love one another in the same breath.

                      understand this? understand this and the world will come to better.
                      if you don't understand this. then do strive toward obey toward god
                      and maybe some form of love.

                      beautiful2afault

                      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "domiati" <domiati@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                      the
                      > millionaire himself but his wife, son, or daughter. The question is
                      > this: can aiming at wealth bring happiness to the individual? In
                      most
                      > cases the answer is NO. Is the purpose of collecting wealth is a
                      > standing purpose? As we know, the child of five years does not look
                      > for wealth: he prepares a toy to a million dollars. The adolescent
                      of
                      > eighteen does not dream of wealth because he is busy with more
                      > important things. The old man of ninety years does not care for
                      > money, he is worried more about his health. This proves that wealth
                      > cannot be a standing purpose in all the stages of the individual's
                      > life.
                      >
                      > Wealth can do a little to bring happiness to a disbeliever, because
                      > disbeliever is not sure about his end or his fate. A disbeliever
                      does
                      > not know the purpose of life. And if he has a purpose, this purpose
                      > is doomed to be temporary or self destructive.
                      >
                      > What is the use of wealth to a disbeliever if he feels scared of
                      the
                      > end and skeptical of everything. A disbeliever may gain a lot of
                      > money, but surely loses himself.
                      >
                      > Worshipping Allah as an Aim
                      >
                      > On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of
                      > life he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah.
                      The
                      > term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.
                      >
                      > The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim
                      > sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life,
                      whether
                      > he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.
                      >
                      > Worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaning especially with
                      > the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is
                      just
                      > a short stage of our life. Then there is the other life. The first
                      > life and the second life are by the death stage, which is a
                      > transitory stage of the second life. The type of the second life a
                      > person deserves depends on his deeds in the first life. At the end
                      of
                      > the death stage comes the day of judgment On this day, Allah
                      rewards
                      > or punishes people according to their deeds in the first life.
                      >
                      > The First Life as an Examination
                      >
                      > So Islam looks at the first life as an examination of man. The
                      death
                      > stage is similar to a rest period after the test, i. e., after the
                      > first life. The Day of Judgment is similar to the day of announcing
                      > the results of the examines. The second life is the time when each
                      > examinee enjoys or suffers from the outcome of his behaviour during
                      > the test period.
                      >
                      > In Islam, the line of life is clear, simple, and logical: the first
                      > life, death then the Day of Judgement, and then the second life.
                      With
                      > this clear line of life, the Muslim has a clear purpose in life.
                      The
                      > Muslims knows he is created by Allah. The Muslim knows he is going
                      > spend some years in this first life, during which he has to obey
                      God,
> [...]
                      > in Him, and worship Him alone.
                      >
                      > We should also know our Prophet whom Allah had sent to all mankind,
                      > believe in Him and follow Him. We should, know the religion of
                      truth
                      > which our Lord has commanded us to believe in, and practice it..
                      >
                      > Those in search of truth
                      >
                      > Who have an open mind and heart,
                      >
                      > Islamic Education Foundation
                      >
                      > Welcome You.
                      >
                      > Objectives: -
                      >
                      > To Convey the message of Islam
                      >
                      > To Educate Muslims aboof Islam
                      >
                      > To keep in close contact with new Muslims.
                      >
                      > Activities:
                      >
                      > Offering Courses and presenting lectures about Islam in several
                      > languages.
                      >
                      > Teaching Islam and Arabic.
                      >
                      > Teaching new Muslims to receive the Holy Quran.
                      >
                      > Helping Non- Muslims embrace Islam and complete the required
                    • beautiful2afault
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                        it was not that religion was hijacked but love

                        love was hijacked by relgion and conformed squashed into the
                        some human understanding for that particular time and age.

                        don't do this, do do that, and all the rules associated with control
                        because humanity can not seem to control their own sexual and
                        emotional aims.

                        ah the procreation of our loins
                        may it be civil, may it be love, may it be consentual.

                        beautiful2afault

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                          --- In gnosticism2@y..., pessy@c... wrote:
                          > incognito_lightbringer writes:
                          > > What about the Cathar endura?
                          >
                          > Suicide by starving tends to be licit, as it can be a consequence of
                          > mortification of the Thelema.
                          > Fast active suicides are, to the contrary, usually a form of
                          > affirmation of the Thelema, with very rare exceptions
                          > like those of Philip Mainlaender and Mario de Sa'-Carneiro
                          > This has been shown e.g. by A. Schopenhauer's
                          > "Welt als Wille und Vorstellung"
                          >

                          > Klaus Schilling

                          Notwithstanding past discussions in our group as to whether Cathars
                          considered the sacrament of Consolamentum to be of ultimate
                          significance in liberation instead of Gnosis in their soteriology,
                          the Cathar endura was nonetheless according to the author in the
                          following link,
                          "… not attested in early Catharist sources, but, it does appear to
                          have been a practice among the late (and extremely peculiar) Cathars
                          of Montaillou in the fourteenth century. Much in their beliefs and
                          practices is unusual, and although Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie's account,
                          _Montaillou_, is perhaps the most widely known work on the Cathars,
                          neither it, nor the heretics it describes can be taken as typical."

                          http://www.gnosis.org/consolamentum.html

                          As to one view on Schopenhauer ~

                          http://people.brandeis.edu/~teuber/schopenbio.html#_dieweltalswilleund
                          vorstellung

                          "Within philosophy itself, Schopenhauer is important for having
                          broken with his Idealist contemporaries both in espousing a down-to-
                          earth materialism and in forsaking philosophic jargon in favor of a
                          limpid and vigorous literary style. He put forward a metaphysics of
                          the will which approached life in concrete terms (his psychological
                          insights often anticipate Freud) and resulted in a pessimistic
                          attitude to the cosmos. Schopenhauer held that there are two ways to
                          combat the tyranny of the will. The first is through art, at its most
                          exalted in music; it is this aspect that entitles him to be thought
                          of as the exemplarily Romantic philosopher, expounding (in Thomas
                          Mann's phrase) a `Künstlerphilosophie [artist's philosophy] par
                          excellence.' The second path lies in an ethic of asceticism and self-
                          overcoming; Schopenhauer was one of the first Western thinkers to
                          take seriously Hindu and Buddhist philosophy."

                          and

                          "But art offers only a temporary exit from the phenomenal world--the
                          world of suffering, of practical affairs, of causal determinism. The
                          more lasting path is not aesthetic but ethical. The individual,
                          Schopenhauer argues, ought to overcome the chains of desire that
                          enslave him to the will; the ideal is disillusioned, ascetic turning
                          away from the world. It would be better not to have been born; yet
                          suicide is a mistake, since it rules out the possibility of self-
                          overcoming."

                          Cari
                        • alexis johnson
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002

                            An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

                            Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?  I once wrote a poem about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I was never sure who was who or what was what.

                            Blackfire

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                              Coffee is a stongly psychoactive material?!?!?! Even one cup when
                              you're rushing off to work in the morning? What about weak tea with
                              milk and honey? (I hate to even ask about chocolate, the Inca kings
                              drank 100 cups a day of that stuff).
                              Klaus, are you a Mormon?
                              Hoeller tells an amusing story in one of his lectures how the Mormons
                              came to Austria to convert the locals. His mother was complaining
                              that they wanted everyone to give coffee up, and that just wouldn't
                              do. They didn't have a very successful mission.

                            • pessy@chez.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                incognito_lightbringer writes:

                                > Klaus, are you a Mormon?

                                No way.
                                Morons violate celibacy and veganism
                                without even a glimpse of malconscience.
                                They even justify marriage and procreation. *vomit*
                                They also deny palingenetic reincarnation.
                                In addition, they are against docetism.
                                On top of all, they are personalistic theists.
                                They also deny the inherent evilness of creation.
                                So I'm nowhere near the Morons,
                                even scored 0% in the belief-o-matic test.

                                Klaus Schilling
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                  Heh, heh. Incognito, I sit here finally with my first cup of coffee
                                  of the day (even though I've been up and busy for over three hours
                                  already) to read again through various thoughtful responses from
                                  members to my evolutionary quandary.

                                  Be back later when I attempt to put some thoughts together,
                                  influenced though they may be by ingestion of this "strongly
                                  psychoactive" drink.

                                  And, Klaus, I just read your most recent post. Your spelling
                                  of "Mormons" was surely just a typographical error? And, although
                                  you are certainly entitled to your lifestyle, I'll try to ignore
                                  the "vomit" comment, too.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Cari :-)

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                    --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                                    > An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus
                                    Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the
                                    Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky
                                    waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

                                    > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both? I once wrote a poem
                                    about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I
                                    was never sure who was who or what was what.
                                    > Blackfire

                                    Do you still have the poem? It sounds interesting.

                                    Anyway, Blackfire, in Gnostic mythology the deity who created the
                                    material world is not the same as the True God or Bythos. The
                                    mythological creator god takes on a range of characteristics from
                                    evil (Sethian) to a more foolish, capricious deity (Valentinian)
                                    depending on the Gnostic school.

                                    The article in this link will give you an introduction to the
                                    Demiurge in Valentinianism ~

                                    http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/demiurge.htm
                                    from the text:
                                    ".. the Demiurge in Valentinianism is quite different in character
                                    from the hostile creator figure familiar from other schools of
                                    Gnosticism. In the Sethian school, for example, the Demiurge is a
                                    hostile demonic force who creates the material world in order to trap
                                    the spiritual elements. In contrast, Valentinians "show a relatively
                                    positive attitude towards the craftsman of the world or god of
                                    Israel" (Layton 1987). Valentinians insisted that while the Demiurge
                                    may be a bit foolish, he certainly could not be considered evil.
                                    Instead, he has a role to play in the process of redemption."

                                    Cari
                                  • pessy@chez.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 6, 2002
                                      alexis johnson writes:

                                      > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?

                                      Both the demiurge and the devil are Archons, nowhere near the Divine.

                                      Klaus Schilling