" [Gnosticism] "

  • Coraxo
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
      " [Gnosticism] " However;

      there appears to be an administrative problem with the list.

      I am on this "gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com"  list and another "gnosticism@yahoogroups.com".

      Now both lists are using "[Gnosticism]" in the subject line of posts that go out.

      I was thinking in my reply to the spam from 'Domiati" that this was going to the latter list not this one.

      Could perhaps some way of distinguishing in the subject line be madeto make the reference list more easily identifiable?

      My response to Domiati had more relevance on the other gnosticism list since some cursory study of the soteriology of the Imamate had been broached - however I do not think this list has had that subject as topic, or if so, it did not develop.

      So my response to Domiati's spam post is probably somewhat dissonant here since there is no post history on Islam recently.

      Is it possible that one of the two "[Gnosticism]" clubs could use some modifier to make the subject line distinguishable between the two?

      Thanks,

      Corax

      From: pessy@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:05:27 +0200
      To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Gnosticism] ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE

      Coraxo writes:
      > The problem is that Islam was hijacked

      like all the larger religions

      Klaus Schilling

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
        --- In gnosticism2@y..., Coraxo <coraxo@e...> wrote:
        > However;
        >
        > there appears to be an administrative problem with the list.
        >
        > I am on this "gnosticism2@y..." list and another
        > "gnosticism@y...".
        >
        > Now both lists are using "[Gnosticism]" in the subject line of
        posts that go
        > out.

        <snip>

        > Is it possible that one of the two "[Gnosticism]" clubs could use
        some
        > modifier to make the subject line distinguishable between the two?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Corax

        An administrative problem? Gosh, I hope not. If so, it's hopefully
        one that can be remedied. ;-)

        I just reset the subject tag to read "Gnosticism2" instead
        of "Gnosticism." We'll see if that works once I send this message.
        Our list used to be called "Gnosticism" while we were still in the
        club format. Once we switched to groups, Yahoo changed our name
        to "Gnosticism2" in addition to unfortunately "losing" a major
        portion of our message archives. Not changing the subject tag was
        obviously an oversight, one that we wouldn't have expected to cause a
        problem.

        But, thanks, Corax, for letting us know. I hope I've fixed the
        problem for those responding from their email accounts instead of
        directly posting at the group.

        Always good to *see* you.

        Cari
      • Coraxo
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
          Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: " [Gnosticism] " Thanks Caritas- the new tag comes out quite nicely, although you could have taken pride of place by setting it as ..."[Gnosticism1]"..I mean why take seconds, right?

          Although it is ultimately my responsibility as a writer to check and make certain what list I am responding to the modification does help my increasingly sun-burned noggin to sort things out better.

          So not really an "administrative" problem on your end - the problem really was mine  insofar as I am able to organize my reading and writing materials.

          But I appreciate the assistance :-D

          Corax

          From: lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 18:27:29 -0000
          To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [Gnosticism2] Re: " [Gnosticism] "

          --- In gnosticism2@y..., Coraxo <coraxo@e...> wrote:
          > However;
          >
          > there appears to be an administrative problem with the list.
          >
          > I am on this "gnosticism2@y..."  list and another
          > "gnosticism@y...".
          >
          > Now both lists are using "[Gnosticism]" in the subject line of
          posts that go
          > out.

          <snip>

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
            --- In gnosticism2@y..., Coraxo <coraxo@e...> wrote:
            > Thanks Caritas- the new tag comes out quite nicely, although you
            could have
            > taken pride of place by setting it as ..."[Gnosticism1]"..I mean
            why take
            > seconds, right?
            >
            > Although it is ultimately my responsibility as a writer to check
            and make
            > certain what list I am responding to the modification does help my
            > increasingly sun-burned noggin to sort things out better.
            >
            > So not really an "administrative" problem on your end - the problem
            really
            > was mine insofar as I am able to organize my reading and writing
            materials.

            > But I appreciate the assistance :-D
            >
            > Corax

            Oh, my pleasure, Corax. Thanks for responding so quickly. It is
            certainly not your problem either, by any means. One so
            knowledgeable and prolific as you should have help from all sources
            to maintain your organization. Gnosticism1? Ah, that's a thought,
            but, hey, ... nah, too much more editing involved. lol

            Say, and watch out for too much sun on this beautiful Labor Day. :-)

            Cari
          • gerryhsp
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002

              > I just reset the subject tag to read "Gnosticism2" instead
              > of "Gnosticism." We'll see if that works once I send this
              message.

              Thanks for noticing (and correcting) that, guys. I figured Yahoo
              would have set our defaults at the new settings during the
              conversion...but then, why expect consistency now... right?!

              If we could just find the settings for filtering out proselytizing
              posts, we'd be all set!

              Gerry
            • alexis johnson
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002

                 pessy@... wrote:

                domiati writes:

                > What is the purpose of my life?

                Self-mortification

                > What is the purpose of your life?

                ditto

                > What is the purpose of our lives?

                ditto

                Klaus Schilling

                SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!

                Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.

                There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some help here...Why is there air?...(to blow up basketballs, of course)...let's see..."meaning"..."aim"..."life"...okay, time to get the search engine reved up and...this could take all nite!...shhhheeeeeshhhh...I'll get back to you all when I find something out.

                Blackfire, over and out.

                Do You Yahoo!?

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                  --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                  > pessy@c... wrote:
                  > domiati writes:
                  > >
                  > > What is the purpose of my life?
                  >
                  > Self-mortification
                  >
                  > > What is the purpose of your life?
                  >
                  > ditto
                  >
                  > > What is the purpose of our lives?
                  >
                  > ditto
                  >

                  > Klaus Schilling
                  >

                  > SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!
                  >

                  > Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.
                  >

                  > There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean
                  isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some
                  help here...

                  Blackfire ~ Of course, only Klaus can explain further what he means
                  in his post by "self-mortification."

                  In the meantime, the following homily by Rev. Steven Marshall offers
                  one perspective on "Self-Examination."

                  http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/ecclesia/homily_Lent1.htm

                  Whether or not one agrees with Steven Marshall's point of view (with
                  Jungian overtones), his words are pause for consideration.

                  "So, why do we not suggest that we all leave this vale of woe in some
                  mass suicide? Because there is something yet very precious about
                  human consciousness—there is an insight, a resurrection, a Gnosis
                  that can only be achieved in this embodied consciousness. This Gnosis
                  not only liberates one from the attachments and snares of the world
                  but also awakens a compassion for all sentient beings and a desire to
                  remain and help others with the task of Self-knowledge. Liberation
                  from the chains of attainment frees us from bondage to our demiurgic
                  egos."

                  Cari
                • wilbro99
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                    Reply to 6521:

                    Alice, I was waiting to see if any other would take you up on the
                    evolution post and along comes this. The point I was going to make
                    there will be made here, which is that the only thing to be taken
                    literally is a change in the sensate self. I have read his entire
                    sermon, if sermon it be, and would agree with the general thrust of
                    it, especially as captured by the part you have quoted. Of course, I
                    would cast it in different terms, but that is a matter of how one
                    decides to describe that which is called Gnosis, the literal part; and
                    that decision is one very complicated affair as I see it.

                    Here is how I would change the part you quoted: Since the demiurgic
                    ego is a reflected identity, a way of grasping "me" as "me," I would
                    simply say that the attachments and snares of the world are of
                    self-awareness, which is why it is called self-knowledge. As you can
                    see, I am limiting it to the field of cognition, and to the self to
                    self relation. Since that liberation, at least as I know it, brings
                    about another sense of self, that self-reflection brings another
                    dimension of reflection into being. This is what I would call the
                    spiritual dimension. This is what I see Kierkegaard as calling the
                    spiritual, for those who have the ears to hear, that is. ----willy

                    "So, why do we not suggest that we all leave this vale of woe in some
                    mass suicide? Because there is something yet very precious about human
                    consciousness-there is an insight, a resurrection, a Gnosis that can
                    only be achieved in this embodied consciousness. This Gnosis not only
                    liberates one from the attachments and snares of [strike(the world)]
                    [self-awareness] but also awakens a compassion for all sentient beings
                    and a desire to [strike(remain and)] help others with the task of
                    Self-knowledge. Liberation from the chains of attainment frees us from
                    bondage to our demiurgic egos."
                  • incognito_lightbringer
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                      Klaus admires the encratites.
                      Okay, so no sex, meat, or wine. (Maybe a visit to the local
                      dominatrix for some flagellation)
                      But I can't see giving up showering ;)

                      --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                      > pessy@c... wrote:
                      > domiati writes:
                      > >
                      > > What is the purpose of my life?
                      >
                      > Self-mortification
                      >
                      > > What is the purpose of your life?
                      >
                      > ditto
                      >
                      > > What is the purpose of our lives?
                      >
                      > ditto
                      >

                      > Klaus Schilling
                      >

                      > SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!
                      >

                      > Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.
                      >

                      > There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean
                      isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some
                      help here...Why is there air?...(to blow up basketballs, of
                      course)...let's see..."meaning"..."aim"..."life"...okay, time to get
                      the search engine reved up and...this could take all
                      nite!...shhhheeeeeshhhh...I'll get back to you all when I find
                      something out.

                      > Blackfire, over and out.
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      Service.

                    • incognito_lightbringer
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                        What about the Cathar endura?

                      • pessy@chez.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                          incognito_lightbringer writes:
                          > Klaus admires the encratites.
                          > Okay, so no sex, meat, or wine.

                          'Wine' extends to all strongly psychoactive materials,
                          like shrooms, coffee, and LSD.

                          > (Maybe a visit to the local
                          > dominatrix for some flagellation)

                          that's anti-encratite as well

                          Klaus Schilling
                        • pessy@chez.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                            incognito_lightbringer writes:
                            > What about the Cathar endura?

                            Suicide by starving tends to be licit, as it can be a consequence of
                            mortification of the Thelema.
                            Fast active suicides are, to the contrary, usually a form of
                            affirmation of the Thelema, with very rare exceptions
                            like those of Philip Mainlaender and Mario de Sa'-Carneiro
                            This has been shown e.g. by A. Schopenhauer's
                            "Welt als Wille und Vorstellung"

                            Klaus Schilling
                          • beautiful2afault
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                              i got this far. "
                              Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The
                              term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah"

                              and had to comment.

                              without going into the formation of my thought. when the individual
                              must be brought to obedience the situation is in a far cry.

                              several things going on.

                              there is love and equality,
                              respect and honor
                              and finally obedience

                              it would seem to me that obedience is a far cry from love
                              but a good start for those who cannot fathom love especially one for
                              the other in any or all social or personal perspective.

                              so yes, by all means come up to a level of obedience if that means
                              civil conduct toward others. then try for higher levels of
                              existence. respect and honor, love and equality.

                              when i have to bend to obidence. i have left the platue of love and
                              respect.

                              of course following obidence can prevent a bunch of pain and
                              suffering in just doing what is told and said to do. like a
                              thougtless process not needing or wanting more. cause all should be
                              fulfilled from the sheer obidence of all acts in according to some
                              one elses and god's thinking.

                              well i don't think so. if you are without love or respect or the
                              inabiltiy to develop such. then by all means. strive for obidence.

                              and our world will be a better place. but don't force your thinking
                              upon ones who love god and try to love one another in the same breath.

                              understand this? understand this and the world will come to better.
                              if you don't understand this. then do strive toward obey toward god
                              and maybe some form of love.

                              beautiful2afault

                              --- In gnosticism2@y..., "domiati" <domiati@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                              the
                              > millionaire himself but his wife, son, or daughter. The question is
                              > this: can aiming at wealth bring happiness to the individual? In
                              most
                              > cases the answer is NO. Is the purpose of collecting wealth is a
                              > standing purpose? As we know, the child of five years does not look
                              > for wealth: he prepares a toy to a million dollars. The adolescent
                              of
                              > eighteen does not dream of wealth because he is busy with more
                              > important things. The old man of ninety years does not care for
                              > money, he is worried more about his health. This proves that wealth
                              > cannot be a standing purpose in all the stages of the individual's
                              > life.
                              >
                              > Wealth can do a little to bring happiness to a disbeliever, because
                              > disbeliever is not sure about his end or his fate. A disbeliever
                              does
                              > not know the purpose of life. And if he has a purpose, this purpose
                              > is doomed to be temporary or self destructive.
                              >
                              > What is the use of wealth to a disbeliever if he feels scared of
                              the
                              > end and skeptical of everything. A disbeliever may gain a lot of
                              > money, but surely loses himself.
                              >
                              > Worshipping Allah as an Aim
                              >
                              > On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of
                              > life he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah.
                              The
                              > term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.
                              >
                              > The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim
                              > sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life,
                              whether
                              > he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.
                              >
                              > Worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaning especially with
                              > the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is
                              just
                              > a short stage of our life. Then there is the other life. The first
                              > life and the second life are by the death stage, which is a
                              > transitory stage of the second life. The type of the second life a
                              > person deserves depends on his deeds in the first life. At the end
                              of
                              > the death stage comes the day of judgment On this day, Allah
                              rewards
                              > or punishes people according to their deeds in the first life.
                              >
                              > The First Life as an Examination
                              >
                              > So Islam looks at the first life as an examination of man. The
                              death
                              > stage is similar to a rest period after the test, i. e., after the
                              > first life. The Day of Judgment is similar to the day of announcing
                              > the results of the examines. The second life is the time when each
                              > examinee enjoys or suffers from the outcome of his behaviour during
                              > the test period.
                              >
                              > In Islam, the line of life is clear, simple, and logical: the first
                              > life, death then the Day of Judgement, and then the second life.
                              With
                              > this clear line of life, the Muslim has a clear purpose in life.
                              The
                              > Muslims knows he is created by Allah. The Muslim knows he is going
                              > spend some years in this first life, during which he has to obey
                              God,
> [...]
                              > in Him, and worship Him alone.
                              >
                              > We should also know our Prophet whom Allah had sent to all mankind,
                              > believe in Him and follow Him. We should, know the religion of
                              truth
                              > which our Lord has commanded us to believe in, and practice it..
                              >
                              > Those in search of truth
                              >
                              > Who have an open mind and heart,
                              >
                              > Islamic Education Foundation
                              >
                              > Welcome You.
                              >
                              > Objectives: -
                              >
                              > To Convey the message of Islam
                              >
                              > To Educate Muslims aboof Islam
                              >
                              > To keep in close contact with new Muslims.
                              >
                              > Activities:
                              >
                              > Offering Courses and presenting lectures about Islam in several
                              > languages.
                              >
                              > Teaching Islam and Arabic.
                              >
                              > Teaching new Muslims to receive the Holy Quran.
                              >
                              > Helping Non- Muslims embrace Islam and complete the required
                            • beautiful2afault
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                it was not that religion was hijacked but love

                                love was hijacked by relgion and conformed squashed into the
                                some human understanding for that particular time and age.

                                don't do this, do do that, and all the rules associated with control
                                because humanity can not seem to control their own sexual and
                                emotional aims.

                                ah the procreation of our loins
                                may it be civil, may it be love, may it be consentual.

                                beautiful2afault

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                  --- In gnosticism2@y..., pessy@c... wrote:
                                  > incognito_lightbringer writes:
                                  > > What about the Cathar endura?
                                  >
                                  > Suicide by starving tends to be licit, as it can be a consequence of
                                  > mortification of the Thelema.
                                  > Fast active suicides are, to the contrary, usually a form of
                                  > affirmation of the Thelema, with very rare exceptions
                                  > like those of Philip Mainlaender and Mario de Sa'-Carneiro
                                  > This has been shown e.g. by A. Schopenhauer's
                                  > "Welt als Wille und Vorstellung"
                                  >

                                  > Klaus Schilling

                                  Notwithstanding past discussions in our group as to whether Cathars
                                  considered the sacrament of Consolamentum to be of ultimate
                                  significance in liberation instead of Gnosis in their soteriology,
                                  the Cathar endura was nonetheless according to the author in the
                                  following link,
                                  "… not attested in early Catharist sources, but, it does appear to
                                  have been a practice among the late (and extremely peculiar) Cathars
                                  of Montaillou in the fourteenth century. Much in their beliefs and
                                  practices is unusual, and although Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie's account,
                                  _Montaillou_, is perhaps the most widely known work on the Cathars,
                                  neither it, nor the heretics it describes can be taken as typical."

                                  http://www.gnosis.org/consolamentum.html

                                  As to one view on Schopenhauer ~

                                  http://people.brandeis.edu/~teuber/schopenbio.html#_dieweltalswilleund
                                  vorstellung

                                  "Within philosophy itself, Schopenhauer is important for having
                                  broken with his Idealist contemporaries both in espousing a down-to-
                                  earth materialism and in forsaking philosophic jargon in favor of a
                                  limpid and vigorous literary style. He put forward a metaphysics of
                                  the will which approached life in concrete terms (his psychological
                                  insights often anticipate Freud) and resulted in a pessimistic
                                  attitude to the cosmos. Schopenhauer held that there are two ways to
                                  combat the tyranny of the will. The first is through art, at its most
                                  exalted in music; it is this aspect that entitles him to be thought
                                  of as the exemplarily Romantic philosopher, expounding (in Thomas
                                  Mann's phrase) a `Künstlerphilosophie [artist's philosophy] par
                                  excellence.' The second path lies in an ethic of asceticism and self-
                                  overcoming; Schopenhauer was one of the first Western thinkers to
                                  take seriously Hindu and Buddhist philosophy."

                                  and

                                  "But art offers only a temporary exit from the phenomenal world--the
                                  world of suffering, of practical affairs, of causal determinism. The
                                  more lasting path is not aesthetic but ethical. The individual,
                                  Schopenhauer argues, ought to overcome the chains of desire that
                                  enslave him to the will; the ideal is disillusioned, ascetic turning
                                  away from the world. It would be better not to have been born; yet
                                  suicide is a mistake, since it rules out the possibility of self-
                                  overcoming."

                                  Cari
                                • alexis johnson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002

                                    An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

                                    Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?  I once wrote a poem about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I was never sure who was who or what was what.

                                    Blackfire

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                      Coffee is a stongly psychoactive material?!?!?! Even one cup when
                                      you're rushing off to work in the morning? What about weak tea with
                                      milk and honey? (I hate to even ask about chocolate, the Inca kings
                                      drank 100 cups a day of that stuff).
                                      Klaus, are you a Mormon?
                                      Hoeller tells an amusing story in one of his lectures how the Mormons
                                      came to Austria to convert the locals. His mother was complaining
                                      that they wanted everyone to give coffee up, and that just wouldn't
                                      do. They didn't have a very successful mission.

                                    • pessy@chez.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                        incognito_lightbringer writes:

                                        > Klaus, are you a Mormon?

                                        No way.
                                        Morons violate celibacy and veganism
                                        without even a glimpse of malconscience.
                                        They even justify marriage and procreation. *vomit*
                                        They also deny palingenetic reincarnation.
                                        In addition, they are against docetism.
                                        On top of all, they are personalistic theists.
                                        They also deny the inherent evilness of creation.
                                        So I'm nowhere near the Morons,
                                        even scored 0% in the belief-o-matic test.

                                        Klaus Schilling
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                          Heh, heh. Incognito, I sit here finally with my first cup of coffee
                                          of the day (even though I've been up and busy for over three hours
                                          already) to read again through various thoughtful responses from
                                          members to my evolutionary quandary.

                                          Be back later when I attempt to put some thoughts together,
                                          influenced though they may be by ingestion of this "strongly
                                          psychoactive" drink.

                                          And, Klaus, I just read your most recent post. Your spelling
                                          of "Mormons" was surely just a typographical error? And, although
                                          you are certainly entitled to your lifestyle, I'll try to ignore
                                          the "vomit" comment, too.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Cari :-)

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                            --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                                            > An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus
                                            Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the
                                            Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky
                                            waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

                                            > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both? I once wrote a poem
                                            about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I
                                            was never sure who was who or what was what.
                                            > Blackfire

                                            Do you still have the poem? It sounds interesting.

                                            Anyway, Blackfire, in Gnostic mythology the deity who created the
                                            material world is not the same as the True God or Bythos. The
                                            mythological creator god takes on a range of characteristics from
                                            evil (Sethian) to a more foolish, capricious deity (Valentinian)
                                            depending on the Gnostic school.

                                            The article in this link will give you an introduction to the
                                            Demiurge in Valentinianism ~

                                            http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/demiurge.htm
                                            from the text:
                                            ".. the Demiurge in Valentinianism is quite different in character
                                            from the hostile creator figure familiar from other schools of
                                            Gnosticism. In the Sethian school, for example, the Demiurge is a
                                            hostile demonic force who creates the material world in order to trap
                                            the spiritual elements. In contrast, Valentinians "show a relatively
                                            positive attitude towards the craftsman of the world or god of
                                            Israel" (Layton 1987). Valentinians insisted that while the Demiurge
                                            may be a bit foolish, he certainly could not be considered evil.
                                            Instead, he has a role to play in the process of redemption."

                                            Cari
                                          • pessy@chez.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 6, 2002
                                              alexis johnson writes:

                                              > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?

                                              Both the demiurge and the devil are Archons, nowhere near the Divine.

                                              Klaus Schilling