ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE

  • domiati
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
      What is the purpose of my life? What is the purpose of your life?
      What is the purpose of our lives? Such questions occur frequently to
      thingking people.

      People answer these questions in different ways. Some people believe
      the purpose of life is getting wealthy. But these people what their
      purpose be after they have collected millions of dollars. So What?
      And then What? What will be their purpose after they get these
      millions of dollars? If the purpose of life is to become wealthy,
      there will be no purpose after becoming wealthy. And in fact, here
      comes the problem of some disbelievers or misbelievers. In some
      stages of their life. When they are collecting money is the target of
      life. When they collected the money which they have dreamt of, their
      life losses purpose and they live in tension and restlessness and
      suffer from the panic of nothingness.

      Can Wealth be an Aim?

      We often hear of a millionaire committing suicide. Sometimes, not the
      millionaire himself but his wife, son, or daughter. The question is
      this: can aiming at wealth bring happiness to the individual? In most
      cases the answer is NO. Is the purpose of collecting wealth is a
      standing purpose? As we know, the child of five years does not look
      for wealth: he prepares a toy to a million dollars. The adolescent of
      eighteen does not dream of wealth because he is busy with more
      important things. The old man of ninety years does not care for
      money, he is worried more about his health. This proves that wealth
      cannot be a standing purpose in all the stages of the individual's
      life.

      Wealth can do a little to bring happiness to a disbeliever, because a
      disbeliever is not sure about his end or his fate. A disbeliever does
      not know the purpose of life. And if he has a purpose, this purpose
      is doomed to be temporary or self destructive.

      What is the use of wealth to a disbeliever if he feels scared of the
      end and skeptical of everything. A disbeliever may gain a lot of
      money, but surely loses himself.

      Worshipping Allah as an Aim

      On the contrary, faith in Allah gives the believer the purpose of
      life he needs. In Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The
      term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah.

      The Islamic purpose of life is a standing purpose. The true Muslim
      sticks to this purpose throughout all the stages of his life, whether
      he is a child, adolescent, adult, or an old man.

      Worshipping Allah makes life purposeful and meaning especially with
      the framework of Islam. According to Islam this worldly life is just
      a short stage of our life. Then there is the other life. The first
      life and the second life are by the death stage, which is a
      transitory stage of the second life. The type of the second life a
      person deserves depends on his deeds in the first life. At the end of
      the death stage comes the day of judgment On this day, Allah rewards
      or punishes people according to their deeds in the first life.

      The First Life as an Examination

      So Islam looks at the first life as an examination of man. The death
      stage is similar to a rest period after the test, i. e., after the
      first life. The Day of Judgment is similar to the day of announcing
      the results of the examines. The second life is the time when each
      examinee enjoys or suffers from the outcome of his behaviour during
      the test period.

      In Islam, the line of life is clear, simple, and logical: the first
      life, death then the Day of Judgement, and then the second life. With
      this clear line of life, the Muslim has a clear purpose in life. The
      Muslims knows he is created by Allah. The Muslim knows he is going to
      spend some years in this first life, during which he has to obey God,
      because God will question him and hold him responsible for his deeds,
      whether done publicly or privately, because Allah knows all deeds of
      all people. The Muslim knows that his deeds in the first life will
      determine the type of his second life. The Muslim knows that this
      first life is very short one, one hundred years, more or less,
      whereas the second life is an eternal one.

      The Eternity of the second Life

      This concept of the eternity of the second life has a tremendous
      effect on a Muslim during his first life, habecause the Muslims
      believes that his first life determines the shape of his second life.
      In addition, this determines shape of his second life. In addition,
      this determination will be through the Judgement of Allah, the All
      just and Almighty.

      With this belief in the second life and the Day of Judgement, the
      Muslim's life becomes as purposeful as possible and as meaningful as
      possible. The Muslim's standing purpose is to go to Paradise in the
      second life.

      In other words, the Muslim's permanent purpose is to obey Allah, to
      summit to Allah to summit to Allah, to carry out His orders, and to
      keep in continues touch with Him through prayer (five times a day),
      through fasting (one month a year), through charity (as often as
      possible), and through pilgrimage (once in one's life).

      The need For a Permanent Purpose

      Disbelievers have purposes in their lives such as collecting money
      and property, indulging sex, eating, and dancing. But all these
      purposes are passing ones. All these purposes come and go, go up and
      down. Money comes and goes. Health comes and goes. Sexual activities
      cannot continue forever. All these lusts for money, food and sex
      cannot answer the individual's questions to himself: so what? Then
      What?

      However, Islam saves the Muslims from trouble of asking the question,
      because Islam makes it clear to the Muslim, from the very beginning,
      that the permanent purpose of the Muslim, in this life is to obey
      Allah in order to go to Paradise in the second life.

      We should know that the only way for our salvation in this life and
      in the hereafter is to know for sure our Lord who created us, believe
      in Him, and worship Him alone.

      We should also know our Prophet whom Allah had sent to all mankind,
      believe in Him and follow Him. We should, know the religion of truth
      which our Lord has commanded us to believe in, and practice it..

      Those in search of truth

      Who have an open mind and heart,

      Islamic Education Foundation

      Welcome You.

      Objectives: -

      To Convey the message of Islam

      To Educate Muslims aboof Islam

      To keep in close contact with new Muslims.

      Activities:

      Offering Courses and presenting lectures about Islam in several
      languages.

      Teaching Islam and Arabic.

      Teaching new Muslims to receive the Holy Quran.

      Helping Non- Muslims embrace Islam and complete the required
      procedures.

    • Coraxo
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
        Re: [Gnosticism] ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE The problem is that Islam was hijacked by the bani Ummayah from the death of the Prophet.

        The false sahabin - the Abe Bekr, Umar and Uthman conspired to murder and kill the house of fatimah - Umar even led a party of vigilantes against Fatimah and Ali and fatally injured Fatimataz Zahra, causing the abortion of Ali's third son Muhsin.

        Hazrat Ali was only allowed a brief Khalifat before being murdered by a fatal sword struck at his head as he was in sujjud during the salat.

        Then the evil Beni Ummayah poisoned Hasan, and martyred Husain at the Karbela - taking his head for a plaything to the evil Yazid ibn Muwaiya,  Khalif of Sham.

        In order to retain power the Beni Ummayah paid false witnesses to create false ahadith that are today the basis of what most people think is Islam. The fabrications of Bibi Ayesha and Abu Huraira are notorious falsifications from the mouths of as Shaytan himself, sent to mislead the world.

        They have corrupted the Quran by leaving out entire portions - the true Quran compiled by Ali was rejected in favor of the compilation which supported the Khalifat of Uthman and the Bani Ummayah.

        The shariah is a falsehood which leads to the worship of deeds and pride in one's self by adherence to manmade laws, laws made by the four false Imams - ibn Hanbal, Abu Hanif, ibn Malik and al-Shafii -  and the soteriological principle of the Imam has been eradicated from the Islam.

        By destroying the Imamate, the Quran was rendered a plaything of the wealthy and powerful.

        Even worse to come was the suppression of sufism and philosophy by the pen of Satan clutched in the hands of Abu Hamid al Ghazalli and Ibn Taymiyyah who have rendered Islam brainless through their advocacy of blind obedience to authority.

        As a result we have the situation of today where lack of Ilm and Irfan has resulted in an idolatry of the sahabas and salifin making these people partners with Allah, making the books of hadith partners with the Quran al Karim and the fuquhas false Imams, in violation of the Covenant announced at Ghadir al Khumm - "I leave you TWO weighty things; the Quran and my Family."

        Corax

        From: "domiati" <domiati@...>
        Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 15:04:24 -0000
        To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Gnosticism] ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      • pessy@chez.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
          domiati writes:

          > What is the purpose of my life?

          Self-mortification

          > What is the purpose of your life?

          ditto

          > What is the purpose of our lives?

          ditto

          Klaus Schilling
        • pessy@chez.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
            Coraxo writes:
            > The problem is that Islam was hijacked

            like all the larger religions

            Klaus Schilling
          • Coraxo
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
              Re: [Gnosticism] ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE Yes, just like Xtianity and Judaism  - good point Klaus.

              Corax

              From: pessy@...
              Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:05:27 +0200
              To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: Re: [Gnosticism] ISLAM AND THE AsIM OF LIFE

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
                " [Gnosticism] " However;

                there appears to be an administrative problem with the list.

                I am on this "gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com"  list and another "gnosticism@yahoogroups.com".

                Now both lists are using "[Gnosticism]" in the subject line of posts that go out.

                I was thinking in my reply to the spam from 'Domiati" that this was going to the latter list not this one.

                Could perhaps some way of distinguishing in the subject line be madeto make the reference list more easily identifiable?

                My response to Domiati had more relevance on the other gnosticism list since some cursory study of the soteriology of the Imamate had been broached - however I do not think this list has had that subject as topic, or if so, it did not develop.

                So my response to Domiati's spam post is probably somewhat dissonant here since there is no post history on Islam recently.

                Is it possible that one of the two "[Gnosticism]" clubs could use some modifier to make the subject line distinguishable between the two?

                Thanks,

                Corax

                From: pessy@...
                Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 18:05:27 +0200
                To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
                  --- In gnosticism2@y..., Coraxo <coraxo@e...> wrote:
                  > However;
                  >
                  > there appears to be an administrative problem with the list.
                  >
                  > I am on this "gnosticism2@y..." list and another
                  > "gnosticism@y...".
                  >
                  > Now both lists are using "[Gnosticism]" in the subject line of
                  posts that go
                  > out.

                  <snip>

                  > Is it possible that one of the two "[Gnosticism]" clubs could use
                  some
                  > modifier to make the subject line distinguishable between the two?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Corax

                  An administrative problem? Gosh, I hope not. If so, it's hopefully
                  one that can be remedied. ;-)

                  I just reset the subject tag to read "Gnosticism2" instead
                  of "Gnosticism." We'll see if that works once I send this message.
                  Our list used to be called "Gnosticism" while we were still in the
                  club format. Once we switched to groups, Yahoo changed our name
                  to "Gnosticism2" in addition to unfortunately "losing" a major
                  portion of our message archives. Not changing the subject tag was
                  obviously an oversight, one that we wouldn't have expected to cause a
                  problem.

                  But, thanks, Corax, for letting us know. I hope I've fixed the
                  problem for those responding from their email accounts instead of
                  directly posting at the group.

                  Always good to *see* you.

                  Cari
                • Coraxo
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
                    Re: [Gnosticism2] Re: " [Gnosticism] " Thanks Caritas- the new tag comes out quite nicely, although you could have taken pride of place by setting it as ..."[Gnosticism1]"..I mean why take seconds, right?

                    Although it is ultimately my responsibility as a writer to check and make certain what list I am responding to the modification does help my increasingly sun-burned noggin to sort things out better.

                    So not really an "administrative" problem on your end - the problem really was mine  insofar as I am able to organize my reading and writing materials.

                    But I appreciate the assistance :-D

                    Corax

                    From: lady_caritas <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 18:27:29 -0000
                    To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: [Gnosticism2] Re: " [Gnosticism] "

                    --- In gnosticism2@y..., Coraxo <coraxo@e...> wrote:
                    > However;
                    >
                    > there appears to be an administrative problem with the list.
                    >
                    > I am on this "gnosticism2@y..."  list and another
                    > "gnosticism@y...".
                    >
                    > Now both lists are using "[Gnosticism]" in the subject line of
                    posts that go
                    > out.

                    <snip>

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002
                      --- In gnosticism2@y..., Coraxo <coraxo@e...> wrote:
                      > Thanks Caritas- the new tag comes out quite nicely, although you
                      could have
                      > taken pride of place by setting it as ..."[Gnosticism1]"..I mean
                      why take
                      > seconds, right?
                      >
                      > Although it is ultimately my responsibility as a writer to check
                      and make
                      > certain what list I am responding to the modification does help my
                      > increasingly sun-burned noggin to sort things out better.
                      >
                      > So not really an "administrative" problem on your end - the problem
                      really
                      > was mine insofar as I am able to organize my reading and writing
                      materials.

                      > But I appreciate the assistance :-D
                      >
                      > Corax

                      Oh, my pleasure, Corax. Thanks for responding so quickly. It is
                      certainly not your problem either, by any means. One so
                      knowledgeable and prolific as you should have help from all sources
                      to maintain your organization. Gnosticism1? Ah, that's a thought,
                      but, hey, ... nah, too much more editing involved. lol

                      Say, and watch out for too much sun on this beautiful Labor Day. :-)

                      Cari
                    • gerryhsp
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 2, 2002

                        > I just reset the subject tag to read "Gnosticism2" instead
                        > of "Gnosticism." We'll see if that works once I send this
                        message.

                        Thanks for noticing (and correcting) that, guys. I figured Yahoo
                        would have set our defaults at the new settings during the
                        conversion...but then, why expect consistency now... right?!

                        If we could just find the settings for filtering out proselytizing
                        posts, we'd be all set!

                        Gerry
                      • alexis johnson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002

                           pessy@... wrote:

                          domiati writes:

                          > What is the purpose of my life?

                          Self-mortification

                          > What is the purpose of your life?

                          ditto

                          > What is the purpose of our lives?

                          ditto

                          Klaus Schilling

                          SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!

                          Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.

                          There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some help here...Why is there air?...(to blow up basketballs, of course)...let's see..."meaning"..."aim"..."life"...okay, time to get the search engine reved up and...this could take all nite!...shhhheeeeeshhhh...I'll get back to you all when I find something out.

                          Blackfire, over and out.

                          Do You Yahoo!?

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                            --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                            > pessy@c... wrote:
                            > domiati writes:
                            > >
                            > > What is the purpose of my life?
                            >
                            > Self-mortification
                            >
                            > > What is the purpose of your life?
                            >
                            > ditto
                            >
                            > > What is the purpose of our lives?
                            >
                            > ditto
                            >

                            > Klaus Schilling
                            >

                            > SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!
                            >

                            > Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.
                            >

                            > There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean
                            isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some
                            help here...

                            Blackfire ~ Of course, only Klaus can explain further what he means
                            in his post by "self-mortification."

                            In the meantime, the following homily by Rev. Steven Marshall offers
                            one perspective on "Self-Examination."

                            http://www.webcom.com/gnosis/ecclesia/homily_Lent1.htm

                            Whether or not one agrees with Steven Marshall's point of view (with
                            Jungian overtones), his words are pause for consideration.

                            "So, why do we not suggest that we all leave this vale of woe in some
                            mass suicide? Because there is something yet very precious about
                            human consciousness—there is an insight, a resurrection, a Gnosis
                            that can only be achieved in this embodied consciousness. This Gnosis
                            not only liberates one from the attachments and snares of the world
                            but also awakens a compassion for all sentient beings and a desire to
                            remain and help others with the task of Self-knowledge. Liberation
                            from the chains of attainment frees us from bondage to our demiurgic
                            egos."

                            Cari
                          • wilbro99
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                              Reply to 6521:

                              Alice, I was waiting to see if any other would take you up on the
                              evolution post and along comes this. The point I was going to make
                              there will be made here, which is that the only thing to be taken
                              literally is a change in the sensate self. I have read his entire
                              sermon, if sermon it be, and would agree with the general thrust of
                              it, especially as captured by the part you have quoted. Of course, I
                              would cast it in different terms, but that is a matter of how one
                              decides to describe that which is called Gnosis, the literal part; and
                              that decision is one very complicated affair as I see it.

                              Here is how I would change the part you quoted: Since the demiurgic
                              ego is a reflected identity, a way of grasping "me" as "me," I would
                              simply say that the attachments and snares of the world are of
                              self-awareness, which is why it is called self-knowledge. As you can
                              see, I am limiting it to the field of cognition, and to the self to
                              self relation. Since that liberation, at least as I know it, brings
                              about another sense of self, that self-reflection brings another
                              dimension of reflection into being. This is what I would call the
                              spiritual dimension. This is what I see Kierkegaard as calling the
                              spiritual, for those who have the ears to hear, that is. ----willy

                              "So, why do we not suggest that we all leave this vale of woe in some
                              mass suicide? Because there is something yet very precious about human
                              consciousness-there is an insight, a resurrection, a Gnosis that can
                              only be achieved in this embodied consciousness. This Gnosis not only
                              liberates one from the attachments and snares of [strike(the world)]
                              [self-awareness] but also awakens a compassion for all sentient beings
                              and a desire to [strike(remain and)] help others with the task of
                              Self-knowledge. Liberation from the chains of attainment frees us from
                              bondage to our demiurgic egos."
                            • incognito_lightbringer
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 3, 2002
                                Klaus admires the encratites.
                                Okay, so no sex, meat, or wine. (Maybe a visit to the local
                                dominatrix for some flagellation)
                                But I can't see giving up showering ;)

                                --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                                > pessy@c... wrote:
                                > domiati writes:
                                > >
                                > > What is the purpose of my life?
                                >
                                > Self-mortification
                                >
                                > > What is the purpose of your life?
                                >
                                > ditto
                                >
                                > > What is the purpose of our lives?
                                >
                                > ditto
                                >

                                > Klaus Schilling
                                >

                                > SELF-MORTIFICATION !!??!**&$$#^&@#!!?!
                                >

                                > Come on, Klaus, it can't be as bad as all that.
                                >

                                > There must be a reason for this...I mean there has to be...I mean
                                isn't there?...something?...anything...Hey, anybody...give me some
                                help here...Why is there air?...(to blow up basketballs, of
                                course)...let's see..."meaning"..."aim"..."life"...okay, time to get
                                the search engine reved up and...this could take all
                                nite!...shhhheeeeeshhhh...I'll get back to you all when I find
                                something out.

                                > Blackfire, over and out.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                Service.

                              • incognito_lightbringer
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                  What about the Cathar endura?

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                    incognito_lightbringer writes:
                                    > Klaus admires the encratites.
                                    > Okay, so no sex, meat, or wine.

                                    'Wine' extends to all strongly psychoactive materials,
                                    like shrooms, coffee, and LSD.

                                    > (Maybe a visit to the local
                                    > dominatrix for some flagellation)

                                    that's anti-encratite as well

                                    Klaus Schilling
                                  • pessy@chez.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                      incognito_lightbringer writes:
                                      > What about the Cathar endura?

                                      Suicide by starving tends to be licit, as it can be a consequence of
                                      mortification of the Thelema.
                                      Fast active suicides are, to the contrary, usually a form of
                                      affirmation of the Thelema, with very rare exceptions
                                      like those of Philip Mainlaender and Mario de Sa'-Carneiro
                                      This has been shown e.g. by A. Schopenhauer's
                                      "Welt als Wille und Vorstellung"

                                      Klaus Schilling
                                    • beautiful2afault
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                        i got this far. "
                                        Islam, the purpose of life is to worship Allah. The
                                        term "Worship" covers all acts of obedience to Allah"

                                        and had to comment.

                                        without going into the formation of my thought. when the individual
                                        must be brought to obedience the situation is in a far cry.

                                        several things going on.

                                        there is love and equality,
                                        respect and honor
                                        and finally obedience

                                        it would seem to me that obedience is a far cry from love
                                        but a good start for those who cannot fathom love especially one for
                                        the other in any or all social or personal perspective.

                                        so yes, by all means come up to a level of obedience if that means
                                        civil conduct toward others. then try for higher levels of
                                        existence. respect and honor, love and equality.

                                        when i have to bend to obidence. i have left the platue of love and
                                        respect.

                                        of course following obidence can prevent a bunch of pain and
                                        suffering in just doing what is told and said to do. like a
                                        thougtless process not needing or wanting more. cause all should be
                                        fulfilled from the sheer obidence of all acts in according to some
                                        one elses and god's thinking.

                                        well i don't think so. if you are without love or respect or the
                                        inabiltiy to develop such. then by all means. strive for obidence.

                                        and our world will be a better place. but don't force your thinking
                                        upon ones who love god and try to love one another in the same breath.

                                        understand this? understand this and the world will come to better.
                                        if you don't understand this. then do strive toward obey toward god
                                        and maybe some form of love.

                                        beautiful2afault

                                        --- In gnosticism2@y..., "domiati" <domiati@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        > in Him, and worship Him alone.
                                        >
                                        > We should also know our Prophet whom Allah had sent to all mankind,
                                        > believe in Him and follow Him. We should, know the religion of
                                        truth
                                        > which our Lord has commanded us to believe in, and practice it..
                                        >
                                        > Those in search of truth
                                        >
                                        > Who have an open mind and heart,
                                        >
                                        > Islamic Education Foundation
                                        >
                                        > Welcome You.
                                        >
                                        > Objectives: -
                                        >
                                        > To Convey the message of Islam
                                        >
                                        > To Educate Muslims aboof Islam
                                        >
                                        > To keep in close contact with new Muslims.
                                        >
                                        > Activities:
                                        >
                                        > Offering Courses and presenting lectures about Islam in several
                                        > languages.
                                        >
                                        > Teaching Islam and Arabic.
                                        >
                                        > Teaching new Muslims to receive the Holy Quran.
                                        >
                                        > Helping Non- Muslims embrace Islam and complete the required
                                      • beautiful2afault
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                          it was not that religion was hijacked but love

                                          love was hijacked by relgion and conformed squashed into the
                                          some human understanding for that particular time and age.

                                          don't do this, do do that, and all the rules associated with control
                                          because humanity can not seem to control their own sexual and
                                          emotional aims.

                                          ah the procreation of our loins
                                          may it be civil, may it be love, may it be consentual.

                                          beautiful2afault

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002
                                            --- In gnosticism2@y..., pessy@c... wrote:
                                            > incognito_lightbringer writes:
                                            > > What about the Cathar endura?
                                            >
                                            > Suicide by starving tends to be licit, as it can be a consequence of
                                            > mortification of the Thelema.
                                            > Fast active suicides are, to the contrary, usually a form of
                                            > affirmation of the Thelema, with very rare exceptions
                                            > like those of Philip Mainlaender and Mario de Sa'-Carneiro
                                            > This has been shown e.g. by A. Schopenhauer's
                                            > "Welt als Wille und Vorstellung"
                                            >

                                            > Klaus Schilling

                                            Notwithstanding past discussions in our group as to whether Cathars
                                            considered the sacrament of Consolamentum to be of ultimate
                                            significance in liberation instead of Gnosis in their soteriology,
                                            the Cathar endura was nonetheless according to the author in the
                                            following link,
                                            "… not attested in early Catharist sources, but, it does appear to
                                            have been a practice among the late (and extremely peculiar) Cathars
                                            of Montaillou in the fourteenth century. Much in their beliefs and
                                            practices is unusual, and although Emmanuel Le Roy Ladurie's account,
                                            _Montaillou_, is perhaps the most widely known work on the Cathars,
                                            neither it, nor the heretics it describes can be taken as typical."

                                            http://www.gnosis.org/consolamentum.html

                                            As to one view on Schopenhauer ~

                                            http://people.brandeis.edu/~teuber/schopenbio.html#_dieweltalswilleund
                                            vorstellung

                                            "Within philosophy itself, Schopenhauer is important for having
                                            broken with his Idealist contemporaries both in espousing a down-to-
                                            earth materialism and in forsaking philosophic jargon in favor of a
                                            limpid and vigorous literary style. He put forward a metaphysics of
                                            the will which approached life in concrete terms (his psychological
                                            insights often anticipate Freud) and resulted in a pessimistic
                                            attitude to the cosmos. Schopenhauer held that there are two ways to
                                            combat the tyranny of the will. The first is through art, at its most
                                            exalted in music; it is this aspect that entitles him to be thought
                                            of as the exemplarily Romantic philosopher, expounding (in Thomas
                                            Mann's phrase) a `Künstlerphilosophie [artist's philosophy] par
                                            excellence.' The second path lies in an ethic of asceticism and self-
                                            overcoming; Schopenhauer was one of the first Western thinkers to
                                            take seriously Hindu and Buddhist philosophy."

                                            and

                                            "But art offers only a temporary exit from the phenomenal world--the
                                            world of suffering, of practical affairs, of causal determinism. The
                                            more lasting path is not aesthetic but ethical. The individual,
                                            Schopenhauer argues, ought to overcome the chains of desire that
                                            enslave him to the will; the ideal is disillusioned, ascetic turning
                                            away from the world. It would be better not to have been born; yet
                                            suicide is a mistake, since it rules out the possibility of self-
                                            overcoming."

                                            Cari
                                          • alexis johnson
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 4, 2002

                                              An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

                                              Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?  I once wrote a poem about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I was never sure who was who or what was what.

                                              Blackfire

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                                Coffee is a stongly psychoactive material?!?!?! Even one cup when
                                                you're rushing off to work in the morning? What about weak tea with
                                                milk and honey? (I hate to even ask about chocolate, the Inca kings
                                                drank 100 cups a day of that stuff).
                                                Klaus, are you a Mormon?
                                                Hoeller tells an amusing story in one of his lectures how the Mormons
                                                came to Austria to convert the locals. His mother was complaining
                                                that they wanted everyone to give coffee up, and that just wouldn't
                                                do. They didn't have a very successful mission.

                                              • pessy@chez.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                                  incognito_lightbringer writes:

                                                  > Klaus, are you a Mormon?

                                                  No way.
                                                  Morons violate celibacy and veganism
                                                  without even a glimpse of malconscience.
                                                  They even justify marriage and procreation. *vomit*
                                                  They also deny palingenetic reincarnation.
                                                  In addition, they are against docetism.
                                                  On top of all, they are personalistic theists.
                                                  They also deny the inherent evilness of creation.
                                                  So I'm nowhere near the Morons,
                                                  even scored 0% in the belief-o-matic test.

                                                  Klaus Schilling
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                                    Heh, heh. Incognito, I sit here finally with my first cup of coffee
                                                    of the day (even though I've been up and busy for over three hours
                                                    already) to read again through various thoughtful responses from
                                                    members to my evolutionary quandary.

                                                    Be back later when I attempt to put some thoughts together,
                                                    influenced though they may be by ingestion of this "strongly
                                                    psychoactive" drink.

                                                    And, Klaus, I just read your most recent post. Your spelling
                                                    of "Mormons" was surely just a typographical error? And, although
                                                    you are certainly entitled to your lifestyle, I'll try to ignore
                                                    the "vomit" comment, too.

                                                    Cheers,
                                                    Cari :-)

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 5, 2002
                                                      --- In gnosticism2@y..., alexis johnson <blackfire_al@y...> wrote:

                                                      > An interesting read. Cari, although as for the "Diabola est Deus
                                                      Inversus", I've recently come to the conclusion that God and the
                                                      Devil are a vaudeville act (as she peers fearfully up at the sky
                                                      waiting for the lightning bolt to strike).

                                                      > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both? I once wrote a poem
                                                      about "God and the Devil dancing around me trading off masks" so I
                                                      was never sure who was who or what was what.
                                                      > Blackfire

                                                      Do you still have the poem? It sounds interesting.

                                                      Anyway, Blackfire, in Gnostic mythology the deity who created the
                                                      material world is not the same as the True God or Bythos. The
                                                      mythological creator god takes on a range of characteristics from
                                                      evil (Sethian) to a more foolish, capricious deity (Valentinian)
                                                      depending on the Gnostic school.

                                                      The article in this link will give you an introduction to the
                                                      Demiurge in Valentinianism ~

                                                      http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/demiurge.htm
                                                      from the text:
                                                      ".. the Demiurge in Valentinianism is quite different in character
                                                      from the hostile creator figure familiar from other schools of
                                                      Gnosticism. In the Sethian school, for example, the Demiurge is a
                                                      hostile demonic force who creates the material world in order to trap
                                                      the spiritual elements. In contrast, Valentinians "show a relatively
                                                      positive attitude towards the craftsman of the world or god of
                                                      Israel" (Layton 1987). Valentinians insisted that while the Demiurge
                                                      may be a bit foolish, he certainly could not be considered evil.
                                                      Instead, he has a role to play in the process of redemption."

                                                      Cari
                                                    • pessy@chez.com
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 6, 2002
                                                        alexis johnson writes:

                                                        > Is the Demiurge 'God' or the 'Devil' or both?

                                                        Both the demiurge and the devil are Archons, nowhere near the Divine.

                                                        Klaus Schilling