we are not the owner of truth

  • shivalinga2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2002
      My understanding of Gnosis is the reality of our existence
      behind the veil of dogma.

      The many varieties of gnostic dogma leave one to ask,if truth is
      one,who is wrong and who is right ,if any ?

      Some gnostic traditions concieve of the world in a zoroastrian way,
      i.e. good versus evil.
      Another in a more Vedic way i.e. everything is part of the same
      substance ,good and evil being a projection of our own limited
      view.

      Anyway gnosis means to be open to the "behind the scenes truth".

      My experience with reality has led me to understand that dogma
      in any tradition has more to do with imparting a way of
      understanding higher reality according to the ability of the audience
      it is aimed at,according to time ,place ,and circumstance.

      So my understanding is that while the TRUTH remains the same,
      the language and symbolism that is used to understand and connect
      with that TRUTH,is malleable and can change according to the ability
      of the audience.

      This is true gnosticism,being open to the TRUTH, whenever and
      however HE/SHE decides you are capable of understanding.

      Limiting your understanding to a particular symbolism is no better
      then the dogmatic approach of establishment religions,who say they
      are the true way,and any other approach is illegitimate.

      The TRUTH is quite conscious and able to reveal itself in anyway
      it deems appropriate to the audience, your best bet is to remain
      open to the reality it chooses,rather then the one we may choose.