Re: gnostics & trismegistus at nag hammadi 1

  • ernststrohregenmantelrad
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2002
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., ernststrohregenmantelrad <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > There is opinion amongst the scholars that the collection of Nag
      > Hammadi
      > being some what diverse is not actually a collection by a actual
      > "Gnostics" but meterial collected by heresiolgists to stock pile on the
      > heretical materials to write polmetic against. That is of course one
      > view.

      I would like to add that this implicates that Hermetic and Platonic tracts
      found in the Hag Hammadi are maybe put there by some heresologist
      thinking that its similarlites deems it to be in the collection made for the
      heretical dualists sect. this means the heresologists reading these
      materials noticed some afirmity with other "gnostic" texts and classified
      them thinking it is the part of dualists heretical writings.

      My whole point here is don't expect just because Hermetic tracts is found
      next to "Gnostic' writings like "Apocryphon of John" that doesn't
      automatically means they are read by "Gnostics" or even related. BTW,
      same with the Gospel of Thomas which I contend that it is pre-Gnostics
      (and Gilles Quispel asserts that the G of Th is Encratic Syrian Christians.)