Gnostic Tarot

  • coolas25
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2002
      I was wondering if there are any Gnostic Tarot cards. It has been
      said that the tarot can be traced back partially to gnostic
      tradition. I know that there is a book on interpreting tarot cards
      with a gnostic influence. I am unsure however if there are actual
      cards being sold. Thanks :)

      Colleen
    • s_e_k_h_m_e_t
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
        Hello Colleen

        Last year this question came up on another group, and as I had an
        address for Lee Irwin, author of 'Gnostic Tarot' I emailed him to try
        to find out from the horse's mouth.

        Unfortunately, according to Irwin, no truly Gnostic deck has been
        published - in his book the Ravenwood Eastern deck was used, even
        though it was not really satisfactory. As I remember however, Irwin
        suggested the Golden Dawn deck or one based on St Germaine's hermetic
        interpretations as being the most compatible with a Gnostic point of
        view.

        Felis

        --- In gnosticism2@y..., coolas25 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I was wondering if there are any Gnostic Tarot cards. It has been
        > said that the tarot can be traced back partially to gnostic
        > tradition. I know that there is a book on interpreting tarot cards
        > with a gnostic influence. I am unsure however if there are actual
        > cards being sold. Thanks :)
        >
        > Colleen
      • Terje Dahl Bergersen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2002
          Re: [Gnosticism] Gnostic Tarot
          I was wondering if there are any Gnostic Tarot cards.  It has been
          said that the tarot can be traced back partially to gnostic
          tradition.  I know that there is a book on interpreting tarot cards
          with a gnostic influence. I am unsure however if there are actual
          cards being sold.  Thanks :)

          Lee Irwin, a profilic writer on many assorted areas - is noted
          for letting the cat out with a book named "Gnostic Tarot".

          With regards the "gnostic" origin of Tarot.
          Modern "Tarotists" operate with the trumps representing
          "archetypes" and "types of persona" - these two features
          are drawn from modern thinkers such as Carl Gustav Jung
          (who some people would call a "Gnostic" based on his usage
          of gnostic symbols, structures/diagrams (in AION for instance)
          and themes, as well as his psychologization of some alchemical
          writings and processes found therein) - but also by occultists
          and founders of new "religious paradigms" such as Blavatsky
          and her Theosophical Society, wherein you will find a myriad
          writers on Tarot and kindred. In addition, among the "re-interpreters"
          possibly "discoverers" of Tarot/Taroc in modern time, you will
          find Eliphas Levi, Oswald Wirth and Papus (Gerard Encausse, who
          actually were among the founders of the modern Gnostic Church,
          the L`Eglise Gnostique).. Papus` "The Tarot of the Bohemians"
          refers to the myth and legend of the Gypsies bringing the
          "condensed wisdom of the egyptians" to Europe during the middle
          ages, in the form of the Taroc cards and their trumps.
          This is problematic, since with "Gypsy" you could mean one specific
          of hundreds of tribes who all have different geographical and
          cultural origins.. in modern anthropological and philological
          research the finds indicate that the origin proper for the
          central european gypsies is somewhere along the Silk Road,
          from India and SouthWest ward... not Egypt at all.

          Some more recent researchers considers a Provencal origin
          somewhere in the 12th, early 13th century - for the Taroc
          as a complete deck with the symbology we know today (which
          is incessantly mixed up with new ideologies and new paradigms
          of occultism etc.) - In the first instance, Tarot as
          "the condensed wisdom of the egyptians" per chargon in
          recent cultural trend, is easy to pin a "gnostic" label on,
          in the second instance - the usage of the cards in some
          initiatory structure often incorporate the cabbalistical
          Tree of Life, and its Sephiroth - Kabbalah is either branded
          "Gnostic" or often mentioned in the same breath as "gnostic"
          , and some - like Gershom Scholem, a religious history scholar,
          suggest the roots to the medieaval schools which is named
          Kabbalah. especially around Provence, is in nature a kind
          of "Jewish Gnosticism"..

          I´d say Irwin is worth the look because in many ways the
          man is a modern Hermetist, and where the Cards come to their
          right in terms of a historical and philosophical continuity,
          however trunctated, there has always been a Hermetist and
          neo-platonic ambience... I have not read Papus Book
          Tarot of the Bohemians, but Papus belonged to a milieu
          where Gnosticism and the Kabbalah (sic) were important
          and did have some influence.

          Pax Pleromae

          Terje D. Bergersen
          terje@...