Re: [Gnosticism] Re: Shedding New Light on the Buddha of Light

  • Coraxo
    Message 1 of 74 , Jul 5, 2002
      Re: [Gnosticism] Re: Shedding New Light on the Buddha of Light Thanks Felis;

      Revelations 2:[17] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

      This troubling passage in the Apocalypse of John of Patmos makes sense in CON-TEXT with what is known of the Valentinian teaching of the name.

      Corax Bin Al-Ghorab Abu Gharib Al Maghribi

      From: "Enheduanna" <argot@...>

      Coraxo wrote:

      > How do we in fact know that Christ informs the understanding of someone?

      I just came across an interesting reflection on this with reference to the
      Valentinian concept of the Name:

      http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/name.htm

      "As noted in Dawson (1992), Thomassen (1993), and Zyla (1996) the Name is
      closely identified by Valentinus with 'bold speaking' or 'free speaking'
      (parhesia). This notion of 'bold speech' as a characteristic of the presence
      of the Name seems to be derived from the New Testament. In the book of Acts,
      speaking boldly, healings and miracles are all said to be produced by the
      presence of the Name (Acts 4:29-30). According to Valentinus, the Father's
      "free act of speaking is the manifestation of the Son" (Valentinus Fragment
      2). He goes on to say that the Son visits the heart of the individual in
      order to purify it. Similarly, in his account of the creation of human
      beings, the presence of the Name within Adam is said to produce 'bold
      speech' which frightens the angels(Valentinus Fragment 5). Just as the
      Father expressed himself boldly in the Son, so the Son expresses himself in
      "bold speech" within the individual person. As Zyla (1996) states, "Through
      the sacrifice of Jesus, gnosis of the Father was gained and can be passed on
      through parrhesia (bold speech)". Gnosis of the Name produces "bold speech"
      in the individual.

      "Valentinus attributes inspired speech to the presence of the Name. The Name
      causes the individual to "utter sounds superior to what its modeling
      justified" (Valentinus Fragment 1). According to Marcus, inspired speech
      results from being joined to one's bridegroom angel (Irenaeus Against Heresy
      1:13:3). This further confirms the thesis that the angel is identical with
      the name. The experience of gnosis is the reception of one's angel/name
      which is a particular instance of the Son/Name. "

    • Coraxo

        From: "Enheduanna" <argot@...>