[Gnosticism] Re: Gnostic Gospels Chapter 1

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      --- In gnosticism2@y..., "Enheduanna" <argot@w...> wrote:
      > Hi
      >
      > Yes this is all very strange, and it seems odd that the Papacy to
      find it necessary to bring in this notion of Peter as the 'first
      witness'.

      > In Matthew 16:13-21 immediately before he starts to speak of his
      impending arrest and death, Jesus explicitly appoints Peter as
      the 'rock' on which he wished to build his church ( presumably in the
      sense of "ekklesia"?!).

      > The entire passage is most interesting, and I also quote the verses
      immediately following as they seem clearly to put the identification
      of Jesus as 'the Christ' into a Gnostic context:

      > "16:13Now when Jesus came into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, he
      asked his disciples, saying, Who do men say that the Son of man is?
      16:14And they said, Some say John the Baptist; some, Elijah; and
      others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets. 16:15He saith unto them,
      But who say ye that I am? 16:16And Simon Peter answered and said,
      Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. 16:17And Jesus
      answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jonah: for
      flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father who is
      in heaven. 16:18And I also say unto thee, that thou art Peter, and
      upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of Hades shall
      not prevail against it. 16:19I will give unto thee the keys of the
      kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be
      bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be
      loosed in heaven. 16:20Then charged he the disciples that they should
      tell no man that he was the Christ.

      > "16:21From that time began Jesus to show unto his disciples, that
      he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and
      chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and the third day be raised
      up. 16:22And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it
      far from thee, Lord: this shall never be unto thee. 16:23But he
      turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art a
      stumbling-block unto me: for thou mindest not the things of God, but
      the things of men. 16:24Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any
      man would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross,
      and follow me. 16:25For whosoever would save his life shall lose it:
      and whosoever shall lose his life for my sake shall find it. 16:26For
      what shall a man be profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and
      forfeit his life? or what shall a man give in exchange for his life?
      16:27For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with
      his angels; and then shall he render unto every man according to his
      deeds. 16:28Verily I say unto you, there are some of them that stand
      here, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the Son of
      man coming in his kingdom. "

      > Felis

      To be sure, even in orthodox scripture, Peter is portrayed as rather
      clueless. Felis, I dug out the _NIV Study Bible_ , which is replete
      with footnotes and can be rather enlightening in trying to decipher a
      mainstream Christian orthodox mindset.

      Lest we "mistakenly" attach a Gnostic meaning to the last verse you
      quoted, Matthew 19:28, this handy Bible does our thinking for us and
      offers two possible interpretations in the footnote: "There are two
      main interpretations of this verse: 1. It is a prediction of the
      transfiguration, which happened a week later (17:1) and which
      demonstrated that Jesus will return in his Father's glory (16:27).
      2. It refers to the day of Pentecost and the rapid spread of the
      gospel described in the book of Acts. The context seems to favor the
      first view. See note on 2Pe 1:16."

      Well, by all means, let's proceed then. 2Pe 1:16: " We did not
      follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and
      coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his
      majesty." The footnote to this verse reads: "_cleverly invented
      stories_. Peter's message was based on his eyewitness account of the
      supernatural events that marked the life of Jesus. It was not made
      up of myths and imaginative stories as was the message of the
      heretics of 2:3. _coming of our Lord Jesus Christ_. In Christ's
      transfiguration the disciples received a foretaste of what his coming
      will be like when he returns to establish his eternal kingdom (Mt
      16:28). _eyewitnesses of his majesty_. A reference to Christ's
      transfiguration (see vv.17-18, Mt 18:28-17:8)."

      Now then, "the heretics of 2:3"? It reads, "In their greed these
      teachers will exploit you with stories they have made up. Their
      condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction
      has not been sleeping." Oh, but let us not stop here. The entire
      Chapter 2 of 2 Peter discusses these "false teachers" who are
      corrupt, sinful, bold, arrogant, slaves of depravity. Shameful, just
      shameful. ;) Now, who WOULD these heretics be?

      2Pe 2:12: "But these men blaspheme in matters they do not
      understand. They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born
      only to be caught and destroyed, and like beasts they too will
      perish." Footnote to this verse: "_matters they do not
      understand_. The heresy to which Peter refers may have been an early
      form of second-century Gnosticism (see Introduction to 1 John:
      Gnosticism) that claimed to possess special, esoteric knowledge. If
      so, it is ironic that those who professed special knowledge acted out
      of abysmal ignorance, and the result was arrogant blasphemy. _like
      brute beasts_. A scathing denunciation. They are like irrational
      animals, whose lives are guided by mere instinct and who are born
      merely to be slaughtered. Destruction is their final lot."

      Sadly, destruction did occur,.. by people in the name of what they
      believed was morally right.

      No, I won't keep going, although the intro to 1 John about
      this "dangerous" heresy is just as contemptuous. Should I be shaking
      in my boots?

      Enough of these polemical writings for one day.