Information

  • amrath10
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2002
      Hello my name's Gareth I'm a twenty year old from England. Firstly
      I'll point out an important fact I'm an atheist but I'm not going to
      start making comments along these lines over your group as it would
      be offensive. Also I've not joined to make comments against
      Gnosticism. I may be an atheist but at the same time I'm very
      interested in religion. I come from a town where Christanity is the
      main religion, in various forms.

      The reason I joined this group is because I'd like to learn about
      Gnosticism. As such I'd quite like to read the scriptures (I'm not
      sure if that's the right word) and is it possible someone could
      suggest a place to start?
    • Coraxo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2002
        Re: [Gnosticism] Information Hi Gareth;

        First, being an atheist is not entirely incompatible with gnosticism - I think if you read enough and discuss enough you will see why. Gnosticism is largely metaphorical and often Platonic and idealistic, so "god" as understood in gnosticism is not quite what one might expect elsewhere.

        Next - gnostic texts can be found at http://www.gnosis.org.

        A summary of Valentinian gnosticism can be found at
        http://www.cyberus.ca/~brons/valentin.htm

        All the best;

        Corax

        From: "amrath10" <amrath1@...>
        Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 02:34:41 -0000
        To: gnosticism2@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Gnosticism] Information

        Hello my name's Gareth I'm a twenty year old from England. Firstly
        I'll point out an important fact I'm an atheist but I'm not going to
        start making comments along these lines over your group as it would
        be offensive. Also I've not joined to make comments against
        Gnosticism.  I may be an atheist but at the same time I'm very
        interested in religion. I come from a town where Christanity is the
        main religion, in various forms.

        The reason I joined this group is because I'd like to learn about
        Gnosticism. As such I'd quite like to read the scriptures (I'm not
        sure if that's the right word) and is it possible someone could
        suggest a place to start?

      • ernststrohregenmantelrad
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 4:47 PM
          Some form of atheism namely one that is connected with Existentialism
          of Satre is not entirely incompatiable with "Gnostic" IDEA in the 20th
          CENTURY. Other ideas could be argued over the definition of "god". The
          sticking point of a-theism is the word theism or theo. as stated by Coraxo
          the 'traditional' definition of 'god' as a all powerful being (omnipresent
          etc..) by orthodox won't fly well with "Gnostic" ideas and Gnosticism. On
          the other handthe Platonic idea of form, I belive is, NOT comparable with
          atheists who MUST only relay on the emperical data to establish
          worldview.